Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Notes from a Necromancer's tower *spoilers*  (Read 7089 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Notes from a Necromancer's tower *spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 03:44:47 pm »

I've tried attacking ghosts by stationing military near them, but no such luck--it seems like malevolent ghosts read as though friendly even if they are literally tearing someone to pieces--e.g. there usually no combat log of a ghost attack, just a "urist mcghost batters urist mcdwarven child"--that in itself suggest a different combat mechanic than normal. Perhaps the 'ghost-busting' militia captain got it in self-defense?  I really need to take the time and check legends mode... Also I don't think they detect ambushes--as said above, detecting an ambush was what caused my bonecarver to begin the exciting career of an angry ghost.

Also possession idea for artifact creation seems pretty awesome, what was peculiar about the straggler ghost is that since he wasn't one of mine, i couldn't tell if the artifact was something he made in life or as a ghost (this reminds me of a reclaim where the new group's engravings all celebrated the artificact flood gate created by a hydra, in the year after the abandon but before the reclaim.

More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 03:47:07 pm »

If your ghost died because of a failed mood, he shows up as the creator of an artifact, even though the artifact was never completed.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 03:47:33 pm »

*Applause*
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 03:57:41 pm »

Re: ChairmanPoo--that's pretty awesome--a haunting spirit wandering the hallways moaning the name of the artifact that never was, forever thinking themselves to have finished it, forever unable to remember where they put it.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 04:18:53 pm »

Man I was holding off on playing Fortress mode until the next update, but goddamn if you guys arent making it sound appealing. I want my dorfs to die via supernatural means, dammit!  :o
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 04:37:16 pm »

This would also suggest that possession moods will only occur with the aid of a ghost, and no longer be a random chance with fey/secretive/fell/etc....can anyone debunk this plz?(in the meanwhile I'll be running a test on this...for !!science!!)

Debunked. No ghosts and still got a possession. World was genned in 31.18

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 04:37:56 pm »

Here we are! Straight, legitimate !!SCIENCE!! Last ghost thread I saw was just a lot of speculation, but here we have some hardcore experimentation! You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 05:50:03 pm »

This would also suggest that possession moods will only occur with the aid of a ghost, and no longer be a random chance with fey/secretive/fell/etc....can anyone debunk this plz?(in the meanwhile I'll be running a test on this...for !!science!!)

Debunked. No ghosts and still got a possession. World was genned in 31.18

thank you, it was a decent theory though. *sigh* oh well. Keep up the wonderful experimentation pan!
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »

We need to find out how long it takes for a ghost to spawn from a dead dwarf.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 07:25:03 pm »

Re: time it takes to become a ghost--within a season is my experience*

*except: I'm beginning to suspect there is a built in population limit on ghosts--i have more dead than ghosts--and new ones tend to "rise from the grave" when a previous one has been put to rest.**

**not true of outsiders-e.g merhant ghosts

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 09:28:58 pm »

Urist McCasper just wants a friend to spar with.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 01:58:09 am »

NEW INFO:
1. After a cave-in a ghost viewed had sand covering the entire body-body parts listed--which means they are not entirely disembodied per se.

2. An announcement read "ghostly mercenary is following Urist Dwarven Child", what this means is as of yet unclear. the mercenary died when the caravan tried to exit through the cavern and met two forgotten beasts.

3. A ghost attacked my militia commander and both attacks were A. blocked by armor (mostly bruise to the bone) B: the blocking made the attack appear in the combat log where it was an announcement identical cave-in injuries (force of the impact etc)

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 03:57:35 am »

Next experiment: Does burning a dwarf to death and failing to bury or provide memorabilia produce a !!GHOST!!?

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 06:04:37 am »

How about this idea: does magma hurt ghosts? What about water? Can you freeze a ghost into a block of ice?

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 06:23:22 am »

If you can kill ghosts, can you have ghost ghost ghost ghost ghosts?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4