Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I am so confused about stuff in cages  (Read 618 times)

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I am so confused about stuff in cages
« on: November 28, 2010, 03:15:40 am »

The wiki isn't clear on it and I am in my experiments with cages containing animals unable to figure out how they work.

I got a blinking cow in my animal stockpile. How the heck do I get it out of that cage?

So far I seem to figure out that I need to build it somewhere. But how do I pick the iron cage with the cow in it? I have like 30 cages of iron :(

I build an iron cage, turns out I got the one with a captured crossbow gobbo in it. Right.
So how the heck do I get him out and chop him down with my military? I tried attacking the cage but it is not possible. I tried using the assign menu to remove him, but that doesn't work either.

Cages confuse me! Will you help me uncofuse?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: I am so confused about stuff in cages
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:23:32 am »

Flood the cage with magma and then create a cave-in over it. Release
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to be on the sure side.

Or just remove it with q-x.

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 03:27:54 am »

Magma is not an option at this point. Removing the cage just puts mr. gobbo back in the animal stock pile, so I haven't achieved a thing doing that :(

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 03:33:24 am »

Once you've determined the location of where you want the cage built, while it's giving you a list of cages to place sorted by material, hit x. This will expand the list, showing all the cages individually, including what they hold. You can then scroll through that massive list to find the cow cage specifically, and place it instead of just the closest iron cage or whatnot.

Incidentally, this works with any and every building type, and lets you select items by quality, too. Quite helpful when you want to maximize value in a room for whatever reason.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:45:35 am »

/facepalm moment. I had mine there. I didn't know abut the X button to expand types list. Thanks :D

Now I just need to figure out a way to convince mr. Gobbo to get out of the cage for a warm welcome by my militia.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 03:59:47 am »

You can create a pit (see the wiki) and assign a goblin to it, with your military waiting for it.  Someone will release the goblin from wherever he's caged (including from a stockpile) and safely haul him into the pit.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 05:25:53 am »

Or link cage to lever. Pull lever, cage and mechanism in it gets deconstructed and prisoner is released.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 10:27:33 am »

/facepalm moment. I had mine there. I didn't know abut the X button to expand types list. Thanks :D

There are so many buttons, options and such in this game that missing something is wholly expected.  I once was confused by finding my stockpiles of empty barrels full of sandbags.  I even asked about it and somebody pointed out that you have to hit "u" on the stockpile screen to turn off sandbags.  /facepalm