Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gnomeslayer  (Read 1401 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Gnomeslayer
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:57:35 pm »

Gnomeblight kills gnomes, so in theory, would a sword made of gnomeblight have the same effect? I've never met a gnome before, but in theory one could create a sword that would have the same affect on buzzards. Which I have met one to many of. Anybody know for certain if this will work?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomeslayer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:01:45 pm »

It won't work as well as you'd think it should. The way I understand it, the only way of getting it to work properly would be to make the material boil on contact with gnomes so they can inhale it. Non-organic syndrome effects that don't involve inhalation don't work at the moment.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 12:57:01 am »

Or melt so that it covered them. Right now poisons only work if they are in liquid form as a splatter or are inhaled as a gas. It would probably just work better to come up with a way to make a barrel full of buzzard poison and throw it at them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:19:31 am »

Non-organic syndrome effects that don't involve inhalation don't work at the moment.

Actually not true. In short, there's several materials in my Saecular mod that do not involved inhalation, but rather contact with a gas or liquid version of the material, to produce effects. Now, I can't vouch for solids, and albeit, if you make ammo out of the stuff it has to get lodged in the wound for it to work. To be fair, I'm not 100% sure using it as ammo actually works as I intended, I'm just going off my own observations which seems to point to that. I do know, though, that the liquid/gas contact DOES work in one form or another.

And as for what i2amroy said about the barrel, I don't know if that'd work. Thrown containers aren't coded to explode/shatter on contact, or something to such an effect, are they?
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:33:57 am »

Okay, what I wrote was misleading: what I meant was that the only inorganic syndrome effects I knew to work were ones involving gas (not necessarily inhalation). I was unsure on the case of liquids, and it was pretty much confirmed that solids didn't work.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:50:14 am by 3 »

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:09:20 am »

Is there a tissue in buzzards that's out-of-the-ordinary?  Maybe causing a reaction that when said material hits said tissue/material/whatever-it-is, the material turns into a liquid, or perhaps when it gets cut, there's gnomeblight liquid on there, so it gets into bloodstream?
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:11:47 am »

The issue is that the only way of getting an object to change material state when it comes into contact with something is via temperature - either the creature needs an abnormally high body temperature, or the weapon material needs an abnormally low melting/boiling point. Even then the weapon needs to get embedded in the creature before it'll change state.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 03:23:06 pm »

The way I understand it, the only way of getting it to work properly would be to make the material boil on contact with gnomes so they can inhale it.

By boil does that mean that the weapon will constantly be puffing out smoke? Or will I have a !!Dwarf!! running around giving everyone hugs.

there's several materials in my Saecular mod that do not involved inhalation, but rather contact with a gas or liquid version of the material, to produce effects.

So a spear sounds like the way to go. Now will I need to turn the Gnomeblight into solid bars? (sort of like milk to cheese) or can I just turn the liquid into a spear?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:09:38 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 04:19:12 pm »

The way I understand it, the only way of getting it to work properly would be to make the material boil on contact with gnomes so they can inhale it.

By boil does that mean that the weapon will constantly be puffing out smoke? Or will I have a !!Dwarf!! running around giving everyone hugs.

boil, as in become gas. not burn.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 04:38:00 pm »

So a spear sounds like the way to go. Now will I need to turn the Gnomeblight into solid bars? (sort of like milk to cheese) or can I just turn the liquid into a spear?
To be honest, it'd need extensive testing; I don't know if solids transfer syndromes on contact or not. The materials I use in Saecular are spawned through my rigged magic system, and have to be thrown/shot and then lodged into a wound that turn before the system realizes the material should be melted/boiled/ignited at the material's fixed temp, and then the contact spreads said syndrome. If it doesn't lodge... well, syndromes seem to be bugged to where they won't spread otherwise when used for materials used to construct weapons/ammo/etc. Even dropping them where they stay as melted puddles doesn't seem to spread the syndrome, even when barefooted. Even dropping something that'll boil and spread the syndrome, and staying there without clothes as it bursts into a cloud around you one round, will not apparently spread the syndrome. It seems only to happen through lodging ammo in wounds.

As I said, material syndromes=bugged... not to mention temperature.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:40:02 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.