Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: USE THE STEEL, MAN! ..dwarf.. whatever.  (Read 2321 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
USE THE STEEL, MAN! ..dwarf.. whatever.
« on: November 27, 2010, 04:37:48 pm »

I have just begun steelmaking, and have a dwarf who refuses to wear my outfit of steel.
i have 'replace clothing' set, and 'exact matches only'.  Noone else is wearing the armor, so I know it's available.  Everyone else is in leather, just to be sure.

Here's the outfit:
Steel Helm
Steel Cap
Any Hood
Steel Chainmail
Steel Breastplate
Any Cloak
Steel Gauntlets
Any Mittens
Steel Greaves
Steel High Boots
Any Socks
Steel Shield

HWAI WHONT HE PUT IT ONG!?

Tips, tricks, suggestions?

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: USE THE STEEL, MAN! ..dwarf.. whatever.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 04:44:48 pm »

Did you assign the uniform to everyone?

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 04:50:25 pm »

No, only one guy.  Haven't enough steel for everyone yet.  They're fine in leather, they're expendible.  He, however, is a decent metalcrafter and an accomplished military skills extroidinaire.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »

Fixed, now that I set EVERYONE to steel.

I dun think it mattered, tho.  Shortly after, I got hit by the biggest siege I have EVER seen.

Six parties:
6 ogres
5 ogres
8 goblin macemen lead by a cave swallow master swordsman
6 goblin pikemen lead by a master lasher
2 goblin master theives
3 kobold theives

FFFFUUUU-

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 10:20:42 pm »

How are your defenses?  Traps, Killzones, chokepoints and how many layers do you have to your defense. I prefer having 4 entrances (chokepoints) before reaching the fort proper, and 6 killzones along the way. 60 cage traps, and 40+ war elephants.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:08:30 pm »

Fixed, now that I set EVERYONE to steel.

I dun think it mattered, tho.  Shortly after, I got hit by the biggest siege I have EVER seen.

Six parties:
6 ogres
5 ogres
8 goblin macemen lead by a cave swallow master swordsman
6 goblin pikemen lead by a master lasher
2 goblin master theives
3 kobold theives

FFFFUUUU-

That's a fairly tame siege compared to some I've gotten. But I've noticed that the newer versions of DF tend to ramp up siege difficulty MUCH faster than old versions did. Despite a few years of playing the game, this actually caused me to have 'Fun' several times before I realized I couldn't expect to start up at the same pace I'd been doing in 40d and earlier releases.

2010 is all about getting a military and traps up and running very quickly. Traps, especially, can be vital in saving your butt from earlier sieges.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 03:29:44 am »

I usually make the first project to wall in a courtyard in front of my fort entrance, with a drawbridge and a one-tile wide five-tile channel to make sure building destroyers can't get in. Right now my only secondary defense is a door. From what I've read on the wiki, this is pretty much an air tight defense assuming I can get the drawbridge up in time and assuming I don't run into any fliers.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 10:46:06 am »

I usually make the first project to wall in a courtyard in front of my fort entrance, with a drawbridge and a one-tile wide five-tile channel to make sure building destroyers can't get in. Right now my only secondary defense is a door. From what I've read on the wiki, this is pretty much an air tight defense assuming I can get the drawbridge up in time and assuming I don't run into any fliers.
You could just floor over your entire courtyard, you know.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 04:04:19 pm »

I was going to do that, but I set up a statue in the middle of it to avoid cave-adaptation. I don't know how long it takes to set in, but I'm doing what I can to make sure that all the dwarves get a little bit of sun once in a while. I also need to have an access ramp in case of a siege, so that I can get some goblinite. I don't have many weapons-grade metals on the map.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 06:44:10 pm »

Maybe build the roof out of glass blocks, would that work? And if you have a raising draw bridge presto you have easy access to the outside world. But you remain completely safe as well. Yay. If you wanted a dwarfy excuse you could say that the raised draw bridge was simply you buying time to assemble your forces to rush the hordes of evil or some such.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 09:33:29 pm »

I'd happily wall myself in, but there's caravans to consider.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 09:46:22 pm »

That's where the drawbridge comes in. Have a channel just in front of your main entrance (make sure to wall off the other areas of the fort from the outside), and build the drawbridge so that it crosses the channel, like as follows:
.r.....
.hhhhh.
wwbbbww

.r.....
.hbbbh.
wwbbbww

Legend:
. = ground
r = ramp (because after removing the ramps from the channel, your miners need to get out  somehow)
b = drawbridge
h = channel

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 11:18:39 pm »

Does anyone know if a roof made out of clear (or any?) glass will stop or slow down cave adaptation? Like if your house was made out of a glass dome you could still get a tan. Heck I would imagine that it would end up an incredible tan, maybe even if it was built wrong like how little ants get burned up. Maybe !!science!!?

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 11:27:41 pm »

Does anyone know if a roof made out of clear (or any?) glass will stop or slow down cave adaptation? Like if your house was made out of a glass dome you could still get a tan. Heck I would imagine that it would end up an incredible tan, maybe even if it was built wrong like how little ants get burned up. Maybe !!science!!?

Add a floor of glass windows. Decorate liberally with sparkly gem windows. Hold a parade.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:28:55 pm »

Or just the Gem windows over a marble flour and we could have a disco.