Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 328

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 640297 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1470 on: August 01, 2013, 06:03:16 am »

All necromancer books and slabs are artifacts, and behave exactly as an artifact would in Fortress Mode. Meaning that they cannot be destroyed and are identified by name, not by "leather-bound book" or by "slab".

Collect them all and toss them into a volcano for great justice! Or just hoard them inside of a lair for your other adventurers, unless you ended up with one of the dud books which are only the author's musings on random things. Or, Armok forbid, poetry.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 01, 2013, 06:51:48 am »

I just started playing a new adventurer and I went to a fort to get some friends. There was a item inside the fort that was simply called "It Is Death" what does this do? is it a easter egg?
Sounds like a book about necromancy. Try reading it.

If it were a book, it would be identified as a book rather than "It Is Death".  :P
Actually, all books are considered artifacts and so are identified by their name (i.e.the book's title) rather than being identified as "donkey leather bound book." That shows up on the book's description screen though. I'm more curious as to what a book is doing in a fortress-my first guess is that a clown masquerading as a deity is living in there. However its title has the word "death" in it, which is usually a characteristic of books holding the secrets of life and death.

OP:try reading it (pick up book, press "I" and select book) and see what happens. Then explore the fortress' keep.

Edit:Woops, didn't realise that there were already replies to this; sorry.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:36:29 am by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Norkrak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 01, 2013, 07:14:23 am »

yaaaa...I'd do that, but I kind of got killed by some mules I tried to eat...

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 01, 2013, 08:14:39 am »

yaaaa...I'd do that, but I kind of got killed by some mules I tried to eat...

Don't kill tame animals.  To the civ, it's no different than killing a citizen and results in ALL citizens and tame creatures of that civ attacking you on sight.

Now that your adventurer is dead, start a new one and head back to where the book is.  If you talk to locals in settlements near the "battle" scene repeatedly, you may hear a story about how Urist McMulemurderer was slain by Nowhasaname The Mule.  :D
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

blazing glory

« Reply #1474 on: August 03, 2013, 06:59:23 am »

can you...

1 spill someones guts and not have him bleed to death?

2 remove someones organs?

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: August 03, 2013, 07:15:17 am »

There was a funny discussion little discussion about just that topic some time ago.

In short, yes - if you can find a way to fast-travel away from the gutting scene before the creature dies from blood loss.

oh_no

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 03, 2013, 07:28:21 am »

Doublepostan as fuck (boo), but erm - how do you check your exact stats as an adventurer? Anything in DFHack for that, perhaps?

oh_no

blazing glory

« Reply #1477 on: August 03, 2013, 07:34:06 am »

thanks

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: August 05, 2013, 02:11:47 pm »

I found a curious underground structure (if you know what I mean), and it was completely empty of life and unlife. The sword was there. I generated the world with 0 random demons and 0 random regional interactions, but there were custom critters for cavern level 5 in the raws, some with [FLIER]...I found one's webs in the lower labyrinth levels but not the living article. Also, there are no civilized animal men in my raws, but back in the Deebus thread I heard cavern animals can be animated too, instead of random snakemen.

So, question: did this happen to others, too? What parameters did you use when the circus tent wasn't empty?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

redmenace.uk

• Bay Watcher
  • "Brew cornish rattler"...... "A party has begun"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: August 05, 2013, 03:58:51 pm »

Hi all...been playing dwarf fortress for about 5 years now, but have now started playing adventure mode and wondered if someone could help me...I'm in the middle of an underground cavern and have come across something in the wall....its described as a rough-hewn old chest cluster...????? unfortunately i cant seem to do anything with it, have i unearthed a world altering treasure trove or is it simply a piece of the scenery? Cheers in advance....RED
The Minotaur hacks Redmenace in the head with his copper battle axe, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
Redmenace walks it off!...............;]

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: August 05, 2013, 04:38:45 pm »

Hi all...been playing dwarf fortress for about 5 years now, but have now started playing adventure mode and wondered if someone could help me...I'm in the middle of an underground cavern and have come across something in the wall....its described as a rough-hewn old chest cluster...????? unfortunately i cant seem to do anything with it, have i unearthed a world altering treasure trove or is it simply a piece of the scenery? Cheers in advance....RED
Sounds like something out of a mod. Are you playing Masterwork? I believe it included chests (treated as gems by the game) that could be mined out and used in reactions. They won't affect your adventurer in any way, unless you use Advfort.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

redmenace.uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 05, 2013, 06:08:54 pm »

Sounds like something out of a mod. Are you playing Masterwork? I believe it included chests (treated as gems by the game) that could be mined out and used in reactions. They won't affect your adventurer in any way, unless you use Advfort.
Cheers fella, yeah using masterworks sorry forgot to mention that...thanks 4 lettin me know onwards and downwards....:]...RED
The Minotaur hacks Redmenace in the head with his copper battle axe, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!

redmenace.uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 06, 2013, 02:14:09 pm »

what material is the strongest between ironbone, copper, steel and gold for a blocking bracer....seem to have had a run on them and dont know which one to equip and is there a way to find out the strengths of certain materials etc.. cheers peeps...:]....RED
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:26:12 pm by redmenace.uk »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 06, 2013, 03:15:43 pm »

what material is the strongest between ironbone, copper, steel and gold for a blocking bracer....seem to have had a run on them and dont know which one to equip and is there a way to find out the strengths of certain materials etc.. cheers peeps...:]....RED

Well, in general, Adamantine is the best material for armor, followed by steel.  Iron and Bronze are about equivalent.  Copper is next.  Everything else, I think, falls below that.

That said, I do not know what the mod in question does.  On the other hand, Shields always either work, or do not.  Whether they work or not is dependent on your shield skill and the quality of the shield.  Possibly also on whether it is a shield or a buckler.  Masterworks, the big stars, are the best unless you can get an artifact shield.  Artifacts are mostly nice for the coolness factor though.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: August 07, 2013, 10:14:50 am »

Since it's a shield (and I know it is), whichever is the lightest. (So probably ironbone)

Otherwise steel armor would be the best of those four.

oh_no
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 328