Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 328

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 639987 times)

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1185 on: February 06, 2013, 09:31:54 am »

Are goblin fortresses currently in the game? I.e. so that you can slaughter them mercilessly pay them a nice visit? Or are they like the dwarf fortresses / elven retreats (are located on the map, but there isn't actually anything there)?

The reason I'm wondering is that some pesky goblins caused the destruction of my fortress, and I currently have a pretty powerful adventurer that I'd like to extract some revenge with. I've already killed the few goblins that were loitering around my old fortress, but my thirst for revenge isn't quite sated yet.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 06, 2013, 09:38:53 am »

Not currently, but they are imminent.  Or at least their towers are.  You can find bandits or outcasts or the like, but not any settled goblins.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 06, 2013, 09:50:15 am »

I remember playing a much earlier version of the game and recruiting elven drunkards from their forest homes. Was that a thing or did I just dream it?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 06, 2013, 11:28:34 am »

Update on my amputation job:

After switching bodies and attempting to force surgery on my dwarf without his explicit consent, I went through a number of companions all of whom died from mysterious face-stabbing related injuries.

Clearly, I had grown too powerful for my own good.

I kept my adventurer up for three days straight, dehydrated and starved to near-death, then took an unsuspecting companion with me to a nice quiet deserted patch of wilderness.  I removed my adventurers trusty sword and armor and had him lie prone on the ground.  Then, after switching bodies with my companion, I calmly strangled my dworf until he passed out, and then, with the utmost surgical precision, swung a blunt copper ax at his head.  The ear flew off into the sunset, dripping pus as it "sailed off in an arc!" 

I then waited for the strangling anesthesia to wear off and, after making sure my companion was a fair distance away, switched back into my dworf and redressed. 

Sadly, due to some friend/foe loyalty mumbo jumbo, my companion was killed as he attempted to perform other unwarranted surgeries over various parts of my body.  But now Urist McOneear is alive and well, and resuming his campaign to rid the world of all various unsavory beasts.

tl;dr, yeah it worked.

If they're your companion, you can use adv-bodyswap.  If not, use "adv-bodyswap force."  You can continue playing after your adventurers death, but be careful that you switch into the body of a historical figure.  Becoming some unknown peasant/random animal can cause complications.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 06, 2013, 11:40:41 am »

I remember playing a much earlier version of the game and recruiting elven drunkards from their forest homes. Was that a thing or did I just dream it?

I only started playing somewhat recently.  idk
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 06, 2013, 12:37:50 pm »

That was a thing in 40d. All but human sites were removed in one of the 0.31 versions because they were barely randomized and annoying to navigate.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:20:02 pm by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 06, 2013, 03:52:49 pm »

How do you bodyswap?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 06, 2013, 03:58:20 pm »

Well crap, that means I have to find random elves to eviscerate instead of a whole encampment. As a side-note, soundsense makes Adventuring a lot less boring in the auditory department.
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 06, 2013, 07:14:03 pm »

Fanks for answering my question so far. Another one for today: I'm right in thinking adventurers can't lockpick or bash in floodgates, right? I'm designing a fortress purely for adventurer-exploration, so it's important that there are ways I can keep passages lever-openable-only.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:25 am »

Fanks for answering my question so far. Another one for today: I'm right in thinking adventurers can't lockpick or bash in floodgates, right? I'm designing a fortress purely for adventurer-exploration, so it's important that there are ways I can keep passages lever-openable-only.

AFAIK that's correct, floodgates cannot be opened manually as adventurer, the only way to do it is if they're linked to a lever.

At least I couldn't figure out how to open one when I visited one of my abandoned fortresses, but then again I can't say I tried all that hard since I had a perfectly bashable door leading into the same space right next to it.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 07, 2013, 10:07:03 am »

I have beeb wondering for kick attacks do boot material affect the damage?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 07, 2013, 10:12:34 am »

Nopers, at least not that I can tell.  No more than gaunlets affect punching or helmets and masks impede biting.
PKs DF Mod!

Duefaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 07, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »

Do you gain attribute experience at the same rate no matter what your skill level? Also, is there a max skill level? If so, do you still gain attribute experience when you train the maxed skill?

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 07, 2013, 02:53:50 pm »

Do you gain attribute experience at the same rate no matter what your skill level? Also, is there a max skill level? If so, do you still gain attribute experience when you train the maxed skill?
From my understanding attribute gain is slower than skill gain and if your skill is maxed no attribute xp will be given from that skill

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 07, 2013, 03:03:17 pm »

Correct. Post-legendary skill improves your ability in that skill further but no further attribute gains result from it.
Also, some skills do not give attribute gains (as far as we know) or the gains are so slight it's imperceptible.

I went from a sneak speed of 377 to 378 (unless I mistakenly had something in my inventory when I thought it was empty) after getting Great Furnace Operator and Proficient in both Armor and Weaponsmith. That could well mean I gained a point of agility from that, but that means it is simply not worth it to grind skills not intended for Adventurers in the present version.

Hoping attribute-skill associations are put in place in the next release...
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 328