Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 328

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 639930 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1140 on: January 28, 2013, 06:04:38 pm »

bridge rails make boogeys go away?  this I gotta try.  Boogeys spawn when you are touching a door in most cases. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lightning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 28, 2013, 06:58:17 pm »

Any ideas for hunting down a roc?

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 28, 2013, 07:01:35 pm »

If you go roc hunting, be careful about the mountains being yak-infested. I lost an army to yaks, once. The hooves, the steely hooves...

Lightning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 28, 2013, 07:07:57 pm »

I have a quest for a roc, so I have the little target area. Even though the target thing is a bit inaccurate, it has in this case centered on a single square. At the moment I'm at the foot of the mounts / mouth of a valley to be. Do I just search the nearby mountain regions?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:27 am »

Are you in the roc's 'lair' right now? It's generally a sort of clearing, like bandit camps. You can think of it as an eyrie. Just scout the immediate vicinity of the marked spot, and the roc should eventually show itself (the same way a bandit leader is not typically on the camp's location spot, but rather somewhere within sight range of it). They are extremely powerful in combat, so sneaking and sniping might be a good approach to kill it.

Lightning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 29, 2013, 04:38:58 pm »

I've searched a 1 radius square (a 3x3 area, centered on the "lair") of map region and haven't found anything- I'm traveling with a few companions so I am certain there's nothing to shoot (apart from a few wombat foods) (though some of the companions have died due to yak related incidents. =\)
Strange how snow falls and thaws in a squares.=\

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 29, 2013, 04:41:34 pm »

They are definately going to be in the region the quest givers defined.  The issue may be where.  Maybe at other z-levels, or in one of the fingers.  Above poster is correct in thst they tend to stay with the designated 'lair'.

I suppose you can expeand your search. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lightning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 29, 2013, 04:51:51 pm »

ugh there's a cave a few map tiles north it *might* reach all the way here.
I'll have to solo it then, as companions don't fare too well in water.
Need to refresh my companions.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 30, 2013, 03:59:18 am »

Do the enemies you encounter randomly (i.e. ambushes etc) grow stronger along with your "fame"? Or is it just depending on the region you're in?

The reason I'm wondering is that with every adventurer I've had (aside from a few cases of bad luck), I've managed to breeze through everything up until the point were I've finished 2 or 3 quests. Before that, I get ambushed by wolves (at most). After that, I get like 2 dwarven hammerlords accompanied by a gang of goblins (who then smack me down quite rapidly). And this wasn't that far away from the place where I repeatedly got ambushed by wolves, just a bit later in the game.

The same goes for quests, but I take that as natural since, if you are more famous, naturally people would expect you to be able to handle some bigger baddies (they're usually wrong though).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:00:50 am by Flanderbland »
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 30, 2013, 06:23:17 am »

Funny, I usually have the exact opposite problem. Nothing poses a challenge and all the quests are laughable at best.

oh_no

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 30, 2013, 06:43:22 am »

As far as i can tell, ambushes seem to be drawn from whatever enemies are in the area - if there's a goblin camp nearby, the bandit leader with five cronies can visit and curbstomp a lone no-fame adventurer camping by the sea, and if there's nothing but wolves around, a pack of four wolves can get thrown at an all-legendary axedwarf revered by a hundred civs/groups with four elite companions. You might just be playing in areas particularly plagued with powerful bandits.

As for 'nothing poses a challenge' -  i think the problem with adventure mode right now is that it's extremely unbalanced and the efficiency of skills/attributes ramps up much too sharply: if you don't train, everything's ridiculously deadly, and if you train, you can easily get to the point where everything's ridiculously easy.

Lightning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 31, 2013, 10:38:34 pm »

Ah. going under the bridge= crackling fades away. (you start drowning, maybe.)
Is drowning certain if you go under water? What about bridges?

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 01, 2013, 02:48:27 am »

Ah. going under the bridge= crackling fades away. (you start drowning, maybe.)
Is drowning certain if you go under water? What about bridges?

lol, I've drowned often enough to answer this one.
Yes, drowning is certain when going under bridges or under water, regardless of your swim skill.  The only thing that changes with swim skill is how quickly you'll make it back to the surface, past the bridge, or, in the case of sewers, to the next floor grate.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 01, 2013, 04:52:38 am »

To be more precise - the 'drowning' status will show up if you're in water with no empty 'open space' above it, _or_ if you're swimming with insufficient skill. You'll take a while to actually die of drowning, though, well over twenty turns i believe (only happened to me once).
Vampires don't need to breathe and can explore sewers, hide under bridges and dive to the bottom of the sea without problems.

Insufficient skill is most notably being in any 7/7 water with no swimming skill at all, but there are also some conditions which trigger the drowning status for "novice" swimmers, like falling into the water and getting stunned. And if a novice swimmer has acquired the drowning status, they seem to keep it as long as they are in water, i.e. they have to get to the shore quick to survive.
You can still learn swimming from scratch and train from novice to adequate without danger if you're careful.

Bogeymen don't seem to check for 'settlements' but only whether or not you're 'inside' for disappearing. They'll come if you sleep on top of the battlements in a keep/fortress but disappear the moment you go down one level and move off the ramp. By this token it makes perfect sense for them to vanish the moment you dive under a bridge or into the sewers.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 01, 2013, 04:50:12 pm »

Sorry to interrupt the drowning conversation, but I had a quick question about edged aimed attacks. Will aiming at the throat, say with a silver scimitar, give a higher chance of decapitation than aiming at the head; or is aiming at the throat literally just trying to slit it?
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 328