Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 328

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 639013 times)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2011, 06:57:33 pm »

^^If he's not countering with another price that means you don't have enough money and have to either ask for less items or offer some of your items with it.

1. You can choose which container to put an item you are holding in, but items picked up from the ground when your hands are full automatically go to the first container listed. Which is why I avoid carrying extra containers: it's a pain in the ass managing items within items within items.

2. It doesn't really do anything except possibly make you full (even if it didn't stop your hunger back when hunger was enabled) and sick if it's poison.

3. Adventure mode has been around since the initial release, it's just that the last couple months are the first time Toady has given decent attention to it. He's made a list of planned developments including a lot of stuff specific to adventure mode, but when he's going to get to them is pretty complicated (right now he's laying the framework for a world economy that will give you more to do in ).

No one but a player-run Dwarf Fortress will ever make extremely high-quality items (as far as I can tell you'll only find items above finely-crafted on extremely powerful bandit leaders), get adamantine, or dig too deep. If you want that stuff in adventure mode, I suggest you make a fort like that yourself in fortress mode, abandon it, then have your adventure travel to it.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2011, 08:24:15 pm »

1. You can choose which container to put an item you are holding in, but items picked up from the ground when your hands are full automatically go to the first container listed.

One thing to add to this:  I think that arrows and bolts automatically go into a quiver instead of the backpack.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2011, 08:31:01 pm »

1. You can choose which container to put an item you are holding in, but items picked up from the ground when your hands are full automatically go to the first container listed.

One thing to add to this:  I think that arrows and bolts automatically go into a quiver instead of the backpack.

Correct; I forgot that. They go into the first quiver listed.

Interesting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2011, 08:36:02 pm »

Alright.

1. When I buy an item from a shop, does the money have to be on my hands (Removing them from backpack before trading)?

2. I bought all the food from a shop using all my scathered money (many different units of 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 copper, total of like 9 different inventory units, because they didnt stacked) and then I left trade, picked up all the items from the shop individually (what a pain, if you buy 8 different items, you have to actually right down a note of everything you bought just so you can search later on when you are going to pick them up), and then I decided to resell them all, in hopes of getting all the money in 3 inventory units of x gold, x silver, x copper, instead of 9 different inventory units... just for convenience... Well, when I finished selling the items, and went to pick the money in front of the chest... my surprise... the NPC didnt stacked them... so it gave me exactly the same fractions of individual currency units as I have given the game. What a major major pain. Do I have to sleep a couple of days before trying it out?

3. If I sell a backpack that costs 1 gold, but it has 200 gold coins inside it... Will the game aknowledge it as worthing 201 gold coins when Im trading? Will the 200 gold coins go to my inventory upon sell? Will the 200 gold coins inside the backpack remain inside it forever?

The UI doesnt help. Im one of those who like neat organized stuff inside my inventory... but even when the game lets me manage some items, its a puzzle, I have to drop things, pick things up, change stuff, drop other stuff, pick the other stuff, pick more stuff, etc... by the time I did that, 7 minutes have passed just so I could have a more organized inventory...

This sums it up:

About the need to play Dwarf Fortress or else the adventure wont reach its full potential. Now that is... unacceptable.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2011, 08:49:36 pm »

Here's one of my own questions: does throwing a heavier object make the relevant stats (strength, agility, toughness, willpower, focus, spatial sense, kinesthetic sense) increase faster? For that matter does moving around with a bunch of heavy crap make strength increase faster than carrying nothing?

^

1. No, nothing you trade has to be in your hands, you can use it even if it's in your backpack.

2. You can easily tell which items you did and did not purchase by looking for which items don't have $ around their name.
OK, I got that advice wrong: what I said only works for exchanging silver and copper pieces for gold ones.

3. I don't know if selling a backpack sells the coins inside it as well (I know it sells all the other items in there), but if it doesn't you can just grab the coins out of the backpack like anything else.

Yes, the interface is unrefined, but the game is still in alpha (the latest version was still only .31.18). I'm sure a lot of what you're asking can be found in some if mods if you look around.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:58:05 pm by Knigel »

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2011, 08:59:45 pm »

Here's one of my own questions: does throwing a heavier object make the relevant stats (strength, agility, toughness, willpower, focus, spatial sense, kinesthetic sense) increase faster? For that matter does moving around with a bunch of heavy crap make strength increase faster than carrying nothing?

I'm almost certain that it does not.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2011, 02:48:36 pm »

I just dodged into a pool i would really hate to lose this adventurer, but i was stunned from the fall (only novice swimmer) and am now drowning and can't alt-move to safety. Is there any way I can still get out?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »

No.  With Novice swimmer, you will drown if you are stunned and knocked into water, and there is no ramp to climb out with.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2011, 03:02:50 pm »

Nevermind i just added the nobreathe tag to dwarfs to allow me to stop drowning and get out. Yeah cheap i know, but I'm not doing the whole find fortress get equip skill up process any time soon again.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2011, 03:49:01 am »

Nevermind i just added the nobreathe tag to dwarfs to allow me to stop drowning and get out. Yeah cheap i know, but I'm not doing the whole find fortress get equip skill up process any time soon again.

You could just train swimmer at the ledge of a beach. Or spend 5 skill points to get Novice swimmer and train up to Adequate in any body of whatever that isn't liable to freeze.

Yuzuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2011, 03:37:32 am »

My question's simple : can i mining an ore in adventure mode ? cause i see some just outside a bandit's lair. :P

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2011, 03:42:20 am »

Not yet.
*Hugs*

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2011, 04:58:20 am »

...I've a question.

Okay, I'm playing Genesis, but I'm sure it doesn't matter much either way. My first task as a new adventurer was to kill a dusk elf bandit. I got this from an Ezrakim Elf civilization/hamlet. When I went to kill the dusk elf, I actually managed to come out without a scratch. However, I went to the nearest civilization unwittingly and it was a dusk elf civ... they all immediately swarmed me. I made it out alive (took a while) but should this be happening? Should killing bandits of a certain race/civ really destroy your reputation with that civ as a whole? I hadn't even done anything else.

Bandits don't make civs hostile. Was it actually a civ that attacked you? as in peasants in towns? If it is a castle, sometimes a destroyed civ leaves remnants behind - cursed castles (filled with naked wrestlers, usually). Those cursed castles will always be hostile, and it seems to me that most of the bandits in the area will also come from the defunct civ.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Yuzuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2011, 05:54:40 am »

I sold some stuff worth 2000* to a weaponsmith and it shows "XXX owns me 2000*" , I quit the shopping list menu and trade him later, that message disappeared ...So it means I can't get my money back can i ? :(

plus :everytime i ask the shopkeeper about the shop's name ,they always say the same word : " I don't know very much about it "....come on .it's your mighty shop alright ? so why put this nonsense choice in the conversion menu , Unfortunately I always like to select that:(  .
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:04:26 am by Yuzuke »

Interesting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2011, 06:01:52 am »

I want to play as an Outsider

I noticed that Outsiders have less than half the skills available to be picked!

What Militia, Fighter, Misc Object User

They dont have important skills such as
Bow
Marksman
Mace
Spears
Swords
Hammers
Axes
Armor User
Shield User

I want to play a standard human (Keeper).
If I start using a shield, wich skill will govern it, how will I improve it?
If I start using armor, wich skill will govern it, how will I improve it?
If I start using any weapons that is not a knife or a bow, what skill will govern it?

Do Misc Object User is the same as having Armor/Shield in one skill?
Does Militia makes up for all the specialized weapon skills?

Why the distinctions between skill trees? Cant a Keeper use armor, shield and an longsword and improve it over time? Why his skill tree doesnt reflect it?

Are Outsiders broken or gimped? I dont want to roleplay someone from "inside".
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 328