Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 328

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 639302 times)

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4350 on: May 12, 2017, 07:00:03 am »

ASD, literally couldn't tell, but also I was just irritated. Not at you, if it helps, just at the who set up in general. From a playability standpoint you do have a point, the conversation system just isn't equipped to convey the information that it needs and should be able to do. NPCs should be able to say, 'I don't know and I don't know anyone who would' if they know SOMEONE should have the information should have the information, just not in their social sphere, or 'The knowledge has been lost to time' or some such if there is no-one at all who could recall that information.
That's fair enough, I was also irritated yesterday so no worries - didn't mean to dwarf your issue. (badum pshhh) Just curious though - on the topic of alcohol consumption - do adventurer's get addicted/go into withdrawels as dwarves do in fortress mode?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4351 on: May 12, 2017, 07:52:54 am »

[sneep, tho I'll be glad to have this conversation elsewhere]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:40:37 am by Cathar »

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: May 12, 2017, 08:20:18 am »

Edit : Tho I feel this discussion is a wee bit out of place and maybe should be taken elsewhere :U

Yes, perhaps it's more important to focus on what aspects of these mechanics can make for "fun", rather than attempting to make vast generalizations about the real-life human psyche, especially conditions like addiction or PTSD. If people really want to discuss the gritty details of real-life PTSD and addiction then what's gonna happen is you're gonna want a few people with actual experience in these issues to chime into the discussion - if you're really trying to figure out how to properly "simulate" them. I'm not against it, but this is probably not the appropriate venue for that discussion. I'm okay with various degrees of abstraction though as long as the game isn't attempting to claim because "that's the way it is in real-life".

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4353 on: May 12, 2017, 08:24:09 am »

I agree. Please consider my last post as discussion for the sake of discussion. I'm very fine with how stress works in the current version, actually

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: May 14, 2017, 03:27:03 pm »

why are all the titans all the way in the northwest corner of the map? this seems like some kind of bug. It's been like this in a couple of worlds for me. I've never actually travelled there to see whether they're really there but whenever I ask about them people say they're all the way in the northwest corner of the map.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: May 14, 2017, 05:15:33 pm »

I noticed that too with titans. Megabeasts will be almost anywhere, even right outside major settlements, but titans always at least are in the north west quadrant.

Probably something to do with site placement code.

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: May 14, 2017, 06:49:21 pm »

So i looked a bit in legends viewer, and it looks like ~50 titans are scattered around the map, and the rest are supposedly in 1,1. My guess is that at some point space 'runs out' for where to place them, so the leftover ones end up in the northwest corner. again I don't really know whether they're actually up there or not.

Edit: so I've been playing with world gen a bit, and it seems that since Bronze Colossi and titans both occupy shrines, the BC are placed first and take up most of the 'good' titan locations. I might make a post in another thread to ask about changing this, because I want a world with lots of titans I can find around the map.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:29:14 pm by Galap »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: May 14, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »

There is a bug report you could add to: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7670
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: May 15, 2017, 10:13:35 am »

I've seen night trolls attack each other too. One asterisk on a map turned out to be 6 of them in a battle royale free for all, also two random goblin soldiers and regular troll who wanted nothing at all to do with the night troll melee.

Not sure what happened there.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: May 15, 2017, 09:47:38 pm »

Wait, just to check, has anyone actually tried to use blocks nicked from their Fort to build constructions in Adventure Mode?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: May 15, 2017, 11:50:15 pm »

Wait, just to check, has anyone actually tried to use blocks nicked from their Fort to build constructions in Adventure Mode?
Adventurers build from logs, not blocks - so, no, it doesn't work. Peasant's mod allows you to make stone "logs" that you can build with.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: May 16, 2017, 02:23:04 pm »

Adventurers build from logs, not blocks - so, no, it doesn't work. Peasant's mod allows you to make stone "logs" that you can build with.

Nuts, at least our forts can supply them with steady supplies of specific and exotic logs...

Seems like an odd oversight though. The game hardly cares what a construction is made out of, why not allow Adventurers build with blocks?

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: May 16, 2017, 03:04:53 pm »

I think it adventurer forts are just a work in progress. Adventurers are currently primarily warriors and not guys to be quarrying rocks and hewing blocks.

While any dwarf can figure out how to make perfect blocks with zero prior experience, which makes sense in a fantasy settling, a random soldier, criminal scoundrel or unskilled drunk isn't going to know shit about masonry or inclined to do so. They could probably trial and error and build a log cabin or rough hewn beam structure which is what we have now.

So I think it makes sense for adventurers to mine and fabricate virtually anything, I feel like there woule be a barrier to entry for any random band of cut-throats and killers to build a stone castle.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: May 22, 2017, 08:48:49 pm »

At the moment I dislike adventurers eventually requiring alcohol in adventure mode because you yourself have no way to get alcohol on many worlds or in many places. Even in real life, if people stop drinking for a while they stop craving it. But if my current adventurer doesn't want to travel literally across an Ocean to get to the other continent, then as far as I can tell, he's not getting any alcohol because goblins just stomped the last human civilization on my current continent.

I assume that eventually your adventurer will be able to do things like brew and farm. But right now it's really annoying to have that unmet need that you can't fufill. I tailor made my adventurer to be as unfussy as possible, and he still craves alcohol after a week or so. I hope Toady introduces brewing/farming soon. Although I guess you wouldn't really need farming since plants are everywhere in adventure mode.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: May 23, 2017, 12:44:58 am »

You can create an adventurer without the "drink alcohol" need. You can create an adventurer without any needs except worship (which is automatic and easy to meet unless they worship an elvin "force").

There's also mods that let you make alcohol.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 328