Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 328

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 643790 times)

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1950 on: July 15, 2014, 03:06:52 pm »

Is there a way to get water/ice from a frozen river?
Maybe campfire next to it so it melts? Not sure.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 15, 2014, 03:24:52 pm »

Is there a way to get water/ice from a frozen river?
Maybe campfire next to it so it melts? Not sure.
No. It doesn't work. But I lucked out one time - ice thawed just as I made campfire.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: July 15, 2014, 05:18:47 pm »

I've got a few questions, since I didn't play advmode with a human (or other mortal creature) previously (much):

Which of the stats should I put at very low (I think those are called dump stats?)?

Also, how do I train up strength, agility, endurance, and so on in this version? The stats seem to increase slower this time. I know doing wrestling is one way, but I get overexerted after a while.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: July 15, 2014, 05:41:11 pm »

Which of the stats should I put at very low (I think those are called dump stats?)?

I don't know which ones are still aren't hooked up and which ones are. But for me, Social Awareness, Empathy and a lil bit of Linguistic Ability are dump stats. Maybe recuperation is dumpable but I don't know if that's meta-time recuperation or "real time" recuperation. If the former, it's useless since fast travel heals all. If the latter then I guess the wiki would know.

Also, how do I train up strength, agility, endurance, and so on in this version? The stats seem to increase slower this time. I know doing wrestling is one way, but I get overexerted after a while.

I'm not sure what's up with stats. I was running over 100 kills and probably 20 hours played on my 0.40.01 adventurer and I never saw his stats go up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 15, 2014, 05:59:53 pm »

I don't know which ones are still aren't hooked up and which ones are. But for me, Social Awareness, Empathy and a lil bit of Linguistic Ability are dump stats. Maybe recuperation is dumpable but I don't know if that's meta-time recuperation or "real time" recuperation. If the former, it's useless since fast travel heals all. If the latter then I guess the wiki would know.

I'm not sure what's up with stats. I was running over 100 kills and probably 20 hours played on my 0.40.01 adventurer and I never saw his stats go up.

Social Awareness is actually kinda important - it modifies how much followers you can have on a given fame level. Analytical Ability, Musicality, Intuition, Empathy, Linguistic Ability are all the dump stats, from the top of my head.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 15, 2014, 06:02:52 pm »

I thought that analytical ability decided how much you could tell what someone you're fighting is doing. For example, what attack or where they're dodging.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: July 15, 2014, 06:42:40 pm »

What about the whole leveling up stats though?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: July 15, 2014, 06:55:52 pm »

Social awareness works for me though since I roll Lone Wolf. And yeah, musicality, because who would ever invest in that even when functioning, unless you're intending to play a musician. That stat has always sort of bugged me for its seemingly narrow scope.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: July 15, 2014, 06:56:17 pm »

Playing an elven bowman this time i was heading toward a night creature lair when i ran into a group of goblins that were being under attack by a couple of night creatures, some kind of dark trolls that were destroying them.

Trying to see if it could impact somehow relationships and who know gain some allies, i decided to shoot the dark trolls from my stealth.
A couple of arrows landed right on one of them but didn't stopped the creature attacks over the surviving goblins.

But it attracted the other dark troll attention to me through my stealth the thing took off ,yeah it was flying and was approaching my position faster than i could sprint away.
So i decided to shoot my bow and the arrow hit, leading the creature to fall on the ground.

I thought it would be ok and shot again, but it stood up, rushed me and punched me unconscious all in one turn.
Death was then inevitable, it was terrifying.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: July 15, 2014, 07:43:00 pm »

My question about whats the best way to increase stats (not skills) hasn't been answered yet. Not sure if anything about skill gain has changed in this version.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: July 15, 2014, 08:08:23 pm »

My question about whats the best way to increase stats (not skills) hasn't been answered yet. Not sure if anything about skill gain has changed in this version.
Not sure either, but traditionally

Strength and agility - to carry more faster
Endurance and willpower - to stay conscious and fighting longer
Spatial and kinesthetics - good for all fights, but especially archery/throwing
disease resistance - disease shouldn't kill you overnight, but once you get a disease in adventure mode its neigh impossible to get rid of it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:32 pm »

I mean what's the best way to increase those stats while playing the adventurer. I know wrestling is one way, but it doesn't seem to increase the stats very quickly.

Edit: Looks like wrestling is a good way, currently I'm wrestling a sleeping goblin bandit.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:50:32 pm by smjjames »

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: July 16, 2014, 02:36:04 am »

HOW DO I...?
*Speak to people? Up until now I've been shouting and wondering if that's the right way. Was thiniking there used to be a more targetted way.
*Pick up a quest? Is the map-line to quest target still there?
*Enter stealth mode?

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: July 16, 2014, 02:39:51 am »

HOW DO I...?
*Speak to people? Up until now I've been shouting and wondering if that's the right way. Was thiniking there used to be a more targetted way.
*Enter stealth mode?
Speaking to people is the same as before*, you hit K then move the cursor over the person you wanna speak with.
*Except for the shouting and new features.

Quests are a pain now, you have to ask about the troubles, then ask for directions about the thing, then the place, then you get sent on a merry mini-quest to find the person who knows where you need to go, which requires asking for more directions...**
And, it's kinda there? You have to get the directions first, I think.

**It's three AM here, I apologize if this bit isn't coherent.
Take a closer look at this text!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: July 16, 2014, 02:52:25 am »

HOW DO I...?
*Enter stealth mode?
Speaking to people is the same as before*, you hit K then move the cursor over the person you wanna speak with.
*Except for the shouting and new features.

Quests are a pain now, you have to ask about the troubles, then ask for directions about the thing, then the place, then you get sent on a merry mini-quest to find the person who knows where you need to go, which requires asking for more directions...**
And, it's kinda there? You have to get the directions first, I think.

**It's three AM here, I apologize if this bit isn't coherent.

And stealth (along with movement speed options) are accessed by pressing S (uppercase).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 328