Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 328

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 640500 times)

TortuousAugur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1650 on: January 23, 2014, 01:58:51 am »

Is it a bug that I can't pick up an item that I just dropped? It appears listed when I [l]ook at the tile, but when I try to [g]et it, it is not in the list.

If it helps, it was a stack of items that I split by picking up some of them, then dropping that portion.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: January 23, 2014, 02:30:32 pm »

Little question: what's the best world configuration to choose if I want Necromancer towers in my game?  Also, does anyone know what Necromancer's Towers look like with the Phoebus tileset?
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

Schvots

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: January 23, 2014, 07:31:23 pm »

How do you actually get IN to a mountain hall??

I can't find an entrance anywhere, is it generally located underground?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: January 23, 2014, 07:47:16 pm »

Is it a bug that I can't pick up an item that I just dropped? It appears listed when I [l]ook at the tile, but when I try to [g]et it, it is not in the list.

If it helps, it was a stack of items that I split by picking up some of them, then dropping that portion.

What did you drop? It is likely a bug of some sort, or you missed it somehow.

Little question: what's the best world configuration to choose if I want Necromancer towers in my game?  Also, does anyone know what Necromancer's Towers look like with the Phoebus tileset?

Necromancer towers look like a pink/purple capital I. You can set the number of secrets in the advanced world generator. Try to generate a world that is at least 100 years old, to give people time to become necromancers.

Here's a picture of a tower with the Phoebus tileset.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How do you actually get IN to a mountain hall??

I can't find an entrance anywhere, is it generally located underground?

Dwarven Mountain Halls don't exist in this version. Same thing for Goblin Dark Fortresses and Elven Forest Retreats. They will be in the next version though. At the moment, the only civilization type sites are human style towns and cities. I guess kobold caves could count too, but caves exist even without kobolds.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:51:34 pm by BlackFlyme »

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: January 24, 2014, 02:36:20 am »

Caves exist even without kobolds.

You can't know that for sure, the kobolds who made the cave could've simply gone extinct!

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: January 27, 2014, 04:44:02 am »

So I found a human elite crossbowman in my starting village and savescrummed myself through 10 or so horrible death before I could get enhough fame to recruit him. He is Awsome!
Now I wonder if anyone has a reliable way of finding elite companions?
Do elite soldiers become more common if I gen longer history? (250 now)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: January 27, 2014, 09:54:01 am »

Go to Forts, the keeps in towns
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

blazing glory

« Reply #1657 on: January 27, 2014, 09:08:11 pm »

Do elite soldiers become more common if I gen longer history? (250 now)
I don't think so because they would probably die of old age unless you modded them to have enternal life

brokegamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: January 28, 2014, 03:16:58 am »

I've been wondering how much of a compromise caps/helms and low/high boots is regarding their materials. Like, is an iron cap more worthwhile than a bronze helm, or is the better coverage of the helm worth forsaking the tougher material of the cap? Am I more likely to lose a foot in a steel low boot than I am in a bronze high boot?
I do let's plays on them there 'tubes.

Chances are if I'm making a post, I'm drunk.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: January 28, 2014, 03:50:11 am »

Caps and Low Boots are worthless, even when made of Adamantine.  Low Boots don't protect your lower leg at all, only the foot, thus attacks against the lower leg won't be deflected by them.  Caps have 50% coverage, which means that fully HALF of the attacks made against your head will ignore it completely.

Basically: don't wear caps or low boots unless you have no other choice, and even then only wear them until you can swap them out for something better.

brokegamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: January 28, 2014, 04:35:33 pm »

Basically: don't wear caps or low boots unless you have no other choice, and even then only wear them until you can swap them out for something better.

That's how I've been operating so far, but I wanted to check to see if I wasn't being silly  ;)
I do let's plays on them there 'tubes.

Chances are if I'm making a post, I'm drunk.

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: January 29, 2014, 10:02:40 pm »

I actually have a question about ammo.

I've been trying to train up throwing since despite being Legendary+++++ in every single combat skill a single wild large bird-of-some-sort can apparently still sever my nerves and bash me up pretty bad (in full high quality Iron armor and three shields, no less).

I found that throwing stuff like bronze crossbow bolts from a few tiles away works amazingly well. So well that I've killed a number of dragons and Rocs this way.

My questions are as follows:

-As now an expert at throwing, will my throw range get better with better skill level? Currently I can only hit targets consistently when they're 2-3 tiles away. I've been training up throwing by disabling outlaws and then pelting them with snow and loam until they throw up to death, pointblank. Even then I still miraculously miss sometimes.

-I can't seem to knap. Not the rocks in my inventory, or on the ground on the tile I am occupying. Could this be because I have absolutely no profficiency in knapping?

-I found a quiver of superior quality of bronze bolts, decorated with spikes of opal or whatever. And they've worked really well when thrown into pretty much anything. The downside is that they're very heavy and I like to keep my speed at 1501 whenever possible. Are there lighter ammo that I can carry around that works just as well?

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: January 30, 2014, 03:38:32 am »

In order:

-All my characters tend to be Legendary Throwers (it's a fast way to boost stats), and they can be really quite accurate when they need to be.  I've never done an exact calculation of effective range, though, but 4/5 squares seems pretty likely.

-You need to be holding the rocks to knap them.  Inventory or ground won't do it, both rocks -need- to be in your hands.

-Once you get Throwing high enough, picking up a handful of dirt and throwing that can be just as lethal as a crossbow bolt.  If not more so.  Alternatively, carry around a bunch of flasks full of water and make believe you're Katara or something ^_^

And finally: to train throwing, you don't need to hit a target.  Picking up dirt and tossing it at the ground beneath you will also train Throwing, and it's much faster than finding bandits to practice on.

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: January 30, 2014, 01:21:59 pm »

Oh what. All I have to do is throw stuff to level the skill? Christ.

So I'm guessing that throwing negates material specs? Since I can see how throwing snow into Iron armor can cause the snow to be deflected regardless of skill level. Since my Iron weapons will consistently bounce off of iron armor regardless of my weapon and fighter skill.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: January 30, 2014, 01:49:08 pm »

I thought throwing skill increased velocity.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 328