Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Institute of *SCIENCE*  (Read 6158 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Institute of *SCIENCE*
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 11:29:57 pm »

Best make it simple:
Water
Magma
AI
Earth

AI and Earth could easily be handled by one facility, and all facilities should have at the very least similar features, IE a river, a volcano, an aquifier and plenty of Z levels.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:33:25 pm by Heliman »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 11:30:20 pm »

Dwarven biology - taming/breeding and best methods thereof.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 11:34:57 pm »

Breeding would probably fall under the header of AI, but it's not a bad idea for when we get down to the !!Science!! bit.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 11:39:28 pm »

Best make it simple:
Water
Magma
AI
Earth

AI and Earth could easily be handled by one facility, and all facilities should have at the very least similar features, IE a river, a volcano, an aquifier and plenty of Z levels.
that would be a little unevenly split
if we're sticking with four forts, I would do

water and magma
armors/weapons, metals and battle
AI
general production (farming, stone tests, trading, ect.)
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 11:46:53 pm »

Fair enough, that sounds reasonable.

Would Cave-Ins be headed under AI then?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2010, 11:49:44 pm »

I think they'd be under battle.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Artifakt

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Night at the Inventory. Discuss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 01:07:16 am »

I would like to offer my services as a !!SCIENTIST!!.

I have many theories involving gravity and general physics to be tested. And possibly wagons.
Friend: "Sorry, I just can't get past those ASCII graphics."
Me: "But it has 18 types of graaaaaaaasssss!!"

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 04:43:45 pm »

Stationary or mobile? Moving wagons have been temporarily removed from the game, leaving the stationary and pretty much understood wagons you embark with. At best you could study weather cave ins effect it's structure from above or below, but that's the gist of it.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 05:20:21 pm »

As for me we could do it with 3 laboratories:
1) Fluid lab (water and magma departments and partially trap department)

2)Goblin lab (battle and traps, possibly goblin research group of AI and aeronautics departments)

3)Agriculture lab (plus non-hostile AI group and aeronautics)

You see, one lab can not always encompass one department and vice versa.
However ISGC's suggestion would let more experiments be carried out simultaneously. And science isn't quick thing.

Anyways when you'll be creating fortresses don't you dare to use random name unless it hilariously represents the essence of laboratory. :D

Edit: Oh, I've completely forgot to suggest thermodynamics department divided into hight and low temperatures groups.
And the last one shouldn't we move to community games board once we've organized?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:24:38 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 05:37:56 pm »

Simple - create your own branches of the DIS (by the way, meaningful acronym here).
1. Set your eyes upon an experiment or a branch of knowledge.
2. Find the perfect spot on the perfect world.
3. Build the fort.
4. Name it something fancy.
5. Experiment away!

Also, upload the save of the embark/the fort ready for experimentation! And let us do !!SCIENCE!!
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 05:42:21 pm »

Simple - create your own branches of the DIS (by the way, meaningful acronym here).
3. Build the fort.
5. Experiment away!

Also, upload the save of the embark/the fort ready for experimentation! And let us do !!SCIENCE!!
The fort should probably be uploaded within a year or two...and unless you are dealing with combat it might be beneficial to turn off invasions.  I'm just saying.  :P
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 05:48:35 pm »

3. Build the fort.
5. Experiment away!

The fort should probably be uploaded within a year or two...and unless you are dealing with combat it might be beneficial to turn off invasions.  I'm just saying.  :P

That's a given. And I mean, either upload the embark ready for !!SCIENCE!! or an up and running laboratory all set up for an experiment.

Can always just build it on an island if the other requirements are met, too.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 06:14:35 pm »

Yeah, this sounds perfect. I have some theories about the effectiveness of certain materials for ballista bolts, but they are highly incomplete as I am lacking a lot of necessary information. Such as:

1.) Does a material's ability to hold an edge affect the bolt's penetrating power?

2.) Do bolts made from heavier materials do more damage?

3.) Does the mass of the material affect how fast the bolt travels? If so, in what ways?

4.) What effects do higher quality components have on the performance of the ballista? Do masterwork ballista components make for a better ballista?

5.) Are certain kinds of wood better for making a ballista? Is an all oak ballista more durable than one made from birch? Does a willow ballista shoot farther than one made of maple?

6.) Does the quality of the ballista bolt affect its performance? Do masterful bolts fly faster or penetrate more effectively?

7). To what extent have the laws of motion been implemented? Does the game simulate the behavior of matter on a quantum level? Does a watched pot really never boil?

8.) Holy crap, how awesome would it be if there were Dwarven Mythbusters?

Y'know, that sort of thing.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 06:20:01 pm »

Yeah, this sounds perfect. I have some theories about the effectiveness of certain materials for ballista bolts, but they are highly incomplete as I am lacking a lot of necessary information. Such as:

1.) Does a material's ability to hold an edge affect the bolt's penetrating power?

2.) Do bolts made from heavier materials do more damage?

3.) Does the mass of the material affect how fast the bolt travels? If so, in what ways?

4.) What effects do higher quality components have on the performance of the ballista? Do masterwork ballista components make for a better ballista?

5.) Are certain kinds of wood better for making a ballista? Is an all oak ballista more durable than one made from birch? Does a willow ballista shoot farther than one made of maple?

6.) Does the quality of the ballista bolt affect its performance? Do masterful bolts fly faster or penetrate more effectively?

7). To what extent have the laws of motion been implemented? Does the game simulate the behavior of matter on a quantum level? Does a watched pot really never boil?

8.) Holy crap, how awesome would it be if there were Dwarven Mythbusters?

Y'know, that sort of thing.
9) does passing a wooden bolt through magma lead to !!wooden ballista bolt!! since all bolts have a wooden shaft, could you get !!Steel ballista bolts!!?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 08:13:18 pm »

Here's a theory, would water dropped from a great height damage a dwarf or other creature?

For the sake of awesomeness, there has to be a lab on a small, deserted snowy island. There just has to be.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4