Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Institute of *SCIENCE*  (Read 6159 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Institute of *SCIENCE*
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 09:08:37 pm »

I'm in.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 09:14:17 pm »

I like it! I know it would be better to try it with a stabler version, but right now it's only a DSI, and we want a =DSI=... I'd put in the masterwork sign but I don't know how.

alt-code 15: ☼
you're welcome :D

Thank you very much, I'm not entirely sober right now so I doubt I will remember in the morning, but thank you nontheless!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 09:32:59 pm »

NOBODY PEER REVIEWS A DWARF.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 09:52:12 pm »

Fine. We'll label it "further evidence."

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 09:56:34 pm »

what would be the perfect environment, then?
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 10:06:31 pm »

Well, I guess we would need a sedimentary flux layer. Trees. Flowing water. A small amount of igneous extrusive biome present to give a better chance of a magma tube. All civs present, because we may want to know, oh I don't know, which race burns up in magma quicker? I say, Elves because they are skinny. More surface area. Less fat to boil away first. Maybe a temperate zone so we can test freezy things in the winter. Preferably not a 257x257 world, quicker download, you know, but I've played around with small and smaller sizes and it's hard to find all the right stuff. The DIS should be self sufficient, I mean, we can't very well carry on SCIENCE if we have to import all our flux and wood and such.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 10:13:22 pm »

The Institute, if I'm reading this correctly:
We could do with setting a good world, without any embarktions. Try and keep it average [IE not too young, not too old etc] and then find some good stops, embark, save, and then upload them to here. That way people can start from scratch for their own things. And you could do this with basic forts with all the basic stuff like a few traps, rooms and farms.

would exist in the form of several fortresses in separate iterations of the world, in different biomes/surroundings, each with different areas of study, and land that fits that. For instance, a fort devoted to magma experiments would probably prefer a shallower map, or one with a volcano or first-cavern magma pool. A fort testing reactor designs would make the most sense on the oceanfront, or an area with a large river, for maximum water flow. A fort dedicated to weaponizing undead in an evil biome (will probably need multiple tries to find one with undead instead of ogres, etc.), while one for creature farming would want easy access to an elven civ.

I believe the Institute would be best founded in a large world, as the greater variety of biomes would be worth the larger download.

EDIT: If this is the case, would whoever creates the world please mod dwarves to be able to produce everything? I have some armor setups vs. magma that I would like to test, including the effects of quality on survival.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:19:44 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 10:30:37 pm »

I think it would be interesting to see how the same fort set up would fare in different environments.

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 10:51:30 pm »

This looks interesting. I pledge to be a dutiful member of !!Science!!

Btw, I think I found a pretty nice embark site. Small world, un-modded, part wilderness, part calm, two rivers running through the map, a magma pipe 10 z-levels down, a partial aquifer according to the finder, sand, flux (marble) at layers 55-48 (ground is layer 100), all four civs in contact, hostile with goblins and elves, temperate shrubland, lots of iron ore. Should I upload it?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:53:04 pm by Jorshamo »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 10:58:28 pm »

Gentledwarfs! I have our first report on !!SCIENCE!! We have done actual science! I took the liberty of sending a seven peasant crew to a jungle river to test my theory that dwarfs with no armor and weapons will be non-threatening to alligators and can befriend them, perhaps for riding! My theory has been disproved, but this is still !!SCIENCE!! And this is just the beginning!

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 11:00:19 pm »

This looks interesting. I pledge to be a dutiful member of !!Science!!

Btw, I think I found a pretty nice embark site. Small world, un-modded, part wilderness, part calm, two rivers running through the map, a magma pipe 10 z-levels down, a partial aquifer according to the finder, sand, flux (marble) at layers 55-48 (ground is layer 100), all four civs in contact, hostile with goblins and elves, temperate shrubland, lots of iron ore. Should I upload it?
if a world is going to have multiple fortresses, we should make sure it contains everything we need for testing.  There may be some components missing in a small world.

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 11:05:36 pm »

Well, are we going to have one large world with multiple forts? I think several small ones many be better for most people, if the just want to test one specific thing, the just need the files for that one test zone, and not all the others. Besides, one world with the perfect setup for a certain experiment could be uncommon to very rare, depending on the test and parameter and such. A world with several perfect test zones would be even harder. But, what ever works, works, I guess.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 11:11:08 pm »

Well, are we going to have one large world with multiple forts? I think several small ones many be better for most people, if the just want to test one specific thing, the just need the files for that one test zone, and not all the others. Besides, one world with the perfect setup for a certain experiment could be uncommon to very rare, depending on the test and parameter and such. A world with several perfect test zones would be even harder. But, what ever works, works, I guess.
I agree.  Also, one giant fort capable of testing most things would be murder to the FPS of most machines.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 11:16:06 pm »

Why not make a set of save files on different maps? If we did it on one file, for example, it would be difficult to study dwarven behavior over extended periods. It would also be good for people whose computers couldn't handle the load and allow for parallel studies in different topics.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:18:15 pm by Heliman »

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 11:27:09 pm »

so what would the different categories for fortresses be?
dwarven aeronautics department:
falling and flying

dwarven aquatics department:
swimming, drowning, water activities

dwarven magma department:
magma and magma accessories.  Would also include smithing and metalcrafting.

dwarven battle department:
armor/weapons of every kind.  Opponents of all shades caged and ready to be tested on.

dwarven agriculture department:
farming/hunting/fishery/kitchen/brewing

dwarven defense and traps department:
several entrances to the fort, stocked with mechanisms.  Each entrance is lined with trap combinations and such for experimentation.

dwarven AI department:
uh... I don't really know what you would put in here.  I guess fill a room with socks and set up an obstacle course to get to it?

what else can you think of?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4