Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarfes don't shoot!  (Read 768 times)

Kaesetorte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Marksdwarfes don't shoot!
« on: November 27, 2010, 02:16:04 pm »

I'm trying to set up a small military with a hammerdwarf squad and a marksdwarf squad but i encountered some problems with that.

I made the squads and designed some uniforms for both squads.

metal stuff + a shield and a hammer for the hammerdwarfes and metalstuff and a buckler and crossbow for the markdsdwarfes.
I scheduled training and set them to active gave them barracks and an archery room.

the hammerdwarfes do just fine... they stand around in their barracks and train somewhat (i still didnt get a champion after 4!! years of training --- am i doing it wrong?---)
HOWEVER the marksdwarfes seem to not like using crossbows.
i made sure they have no other stuff in their hands and took away any other jobs even hauling i assigned the squad lots of ammunition and was hoping this would do the trick.

but they just stand around in the barracks too and i hardly ever see any of them at the archery range. they are all close to becomming superb hammerdwarfes but their archery skill is hardly climbing.
and i made a pit for training purpose and placed my squad next to it and dragged some gobos in the pit but my archers just stood around and didnt shoot the gobos :(

What could i be doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT oh almost forgot. whenever i order my dwarfes somewhere and then cancel the order they will become civilians like miners and woodcutters until they go back to sparing ... as is said they have no job assignemnts.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:21:26 pm by Kaesetorte »

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarfes don't shoot!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 02:27:09 pm »

I'm not sure, but you should un-assign them from the barracks, and just assign them to the archery range. When they train in barracks they use their crossbows as hammers, and thus gain hammer dwarf skill. I hope this helps.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 02:27:52 pm »

Did you assign them ammo?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Kaesetorte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 02:28:07 pm »

i did that for a while but the result was the dwarfes doing nothing at all :/

Kaesetorte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 02:32:18 pm »

Well i assigned the squad 4 types of ammunition bone and wood with training enabled and iron and metal for combat.

but looking over it again right now it seems like only the metal bolts have an actual stack of ammo in the column assigned.
im pretty sure i have lots of bold since i ordered to craft alot and they never sghot them so they should be around somewhere.

how do i make them chose some arrows to the ASSIGNED column?

ill go craft moe bolts now and see what happens

while we are waiting ive got another question... i captured lots of hostile animals like plump helmet men and trogloyds and buzzards... id like to drag them to the pit for target practicing however they always break free as soon the dwarf arrives at the cage.. any tips?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:36:07 pm by Kaesetorte »

Kaesetorte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 02:44:48 pm »

Finally i got some of them to shoot!

the problem was that all my bolts got somehow assigned to the hunters ... they had like 1000 bolts in their stock.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 02:53:41 pm »

while we are waiting ive got another question... i captured lots of hostile animals like plump helmet men and trogloyds and buzzards... id like to drag them to the pit for target practicing however they always break free as soon the dwarf arrives at the cage.. any tips?

Build the cage in the pit and hook it up to a lever.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Kaesetorte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 02:55:09 pm »

ooh yeah that should do the trick :D
seems kinda slow tho :(
thanks

edit: somehow i can only build one buzzard cage but i got like 10 cages with trolls and plumpmen right next to my pit
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:57:36 pm by Kaesetorte »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »

You could build the cage on the edge of the pit, then designate a pit zone next to the cage, then order the creature you want to be thrown in. It's a pain if you have multiple wild animals, though, 'cause it'll just say Troglodyte (for example), Troglodyte, Troglodyte, and Troglodyte with no distinction so your dorfs might release a buzzard or whatever at the cage stockpile instead of the buzzard or whatever at the pit.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."