Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CPU 50% Usage hmm?  (Read 2134 times)

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
Re: CPU 50% Usage hmm?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 01:27:00 pm »

Aaah, you've just improved my computer science personage by +1.
That makes sense.
Must suck for quad-cores.

You have no idea.  Early on when dual cores/quad cores were new I had this conversation many times.  Many people out there paid extra for a quad core with a lower clock speed (2.0ghz vs 3.0ghz) and ended up getting worse performance since almost everything they ran was singe-threaded.

Thankfully software is catching up with the hardware...
Check out my Dwarf Fortress tutorial series on Youtube.

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 02:21:23 pm »

GHz means absolutely nothing unless it is between processors on the same architecture. In the CPU benchmark thread a while back my i5 got 2x the fps of a Pentium 4 at half the clock cycles.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 02:50:16 pm »

Rastafarian Computer Scientist: Wiv my new invention, joo can av ten zagillion logical cores, ja!

10 year old Billy: Can we play DF?

RCS: Na mon...

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 03:50:56 pm »

Or you can be like me, and buy a quad core where each single core is almost twice as powerful as your old CPU anyway!
Magma is overrated.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 10:47:52 pm »

Yeah, those specs labeled aren't per-core unless specifically stated. a 2.4 ghz dual-core isn't equivalent to two 1.2ghz cores running at once, nor is it equal to a single 4.8ghz single-core.
It's a 2.4ghz dual-core.
Apples and Oranges.
What single-cores are good for are processing a single, high-demand game.
For example, 3ghz single will process Fallout3zomgcrazygraphicsgame better than a 2.66 dual-core.
A dual core, however, will be able to handle multiple-applications better.
The reason for this is that the two cores are able to focus on two different things at once, whereas a single-core would trip over itself given multiple data streams. And that's a general descrip.

Given a game that requires a fast cpu, and without multi-core compatibility, a quad/six/eight core system will run that game like a fucking dog, whereas a single-core with half their speed will run it better. That quad will be able to run four of those simultaneously, however, given enough ram.

btw, EiBM,
derp. dbz. /masterbatesnostalgicpenisorgan
Well it is basically per core, A 2.4Ghz dual-core is equivalent to a pair of 2.4Ghz single core processors.  And that's basically what it literally is, just 2 cpu's on the same physical chunk of silicon.  It's just that 2 single processors running at 2.4Ghz isn't the same as a single processor running at double the speed.  It's like comparing two cooks making a meal, compared to a single cook making a meal twice as fast.  You won't get the same results because a lot of the time you simply can't make use of two people at the same time at the same task.  Now, you can set it up so that the two people are doing two different things that they can do independently of each other, and get things done faster that way, but that doesn't work for everything, especially tasks that need to be done in sequence, where certain steps need to be done in order (like mix ingredients, then bake, has to be done in that order, if you try to do it the other way around, or at the same time, you won't get the same results. :)).

In the same way, a single program can often make use of multiple cores, by splitting up a set of tasks into things that can be done at the same time, and having each core take a section, or something similar.  In fact, most recent games take advantage of this to at least make use of a couple cores or so(So fallout 3 for your example there, would probably run a bit better on the slightly slower dual-core, since I think it can take advantage of it).  Except, you have to write your program to explicitly take advantage of this, to tell what parts of a program get done in which thread, and to make sure that they're all completed before going on to the next step, or stuff like that.  It's not something that you get immediately from having extra cores, but something where programs have to be made to make use of it.

Of course, multiple independent programs running at the same time can immediately take use of it, since windows is programmed to take care of that, and distribute programs and threads around to different cores.  Which wasn't too difficult a step, since they were already set up to do time-sharing, having multiple programs running at the same time, with only a single processor, by simply having the processor work on each one for a short period of time, one at a time, in rapid succession.  So splitting that up to multiple cores wasn't too difficult from that end.

Quick question from a multi-core noob... how do you offload all programs to different cores?
Windows, and other operating systems, already handle that.  They move threads around to different cores to distribute the load and make use of as much processing power as they can.  On windows XP at least, you can ctrl-alt-del and bring up the task manager, and go to the process tab, right click on a process, and select Set Affinity.  There you can set which cores a program is allowed to be set to, and so you can set things up manually there.  By default, all of the cores are allowed places for that thread to run on.  And in practice, when I've seen it tested, manually setting programs to specific cores doesn't produce any better result than simply letting windows handle where things run automatically.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 02:30:17 am »

People say it sucks to play Dwarf Fortress on a quad core machine?
Seriously you guys?
Try playing Dwarf Fortress on a single core machine.

I'm almost at the point of saying that Dwarf Fortress needs a multi-core machine, even just to run itself. I could swear that it's tripping over it's threads on this machine.

The problem is that DF isn't multi-threaded...there's nothing for it to trip over.  What a multi-core system does do for you is make sure nothing else takes cycles away from DF, as mentioned above by several others.  However, the highest FPSes I've heard from people running DF are those who were using the old single-core 3.0 GHz+ CPUs, before dual-cores were really popular.  I imagine you could get slightly better DF performance on the latest quads at similar clock speeds, but for DF purposes, a single core running at 3 GHz should whip a dual core running at 2 GHz every time (provided you don't crunch numbers or rip movies while playing DF, at least).

KG

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 06:28:15 am »

The true benefit to running DF on a multicore machine is that you can do things other than play DF at the same time.  It gets irritating if your music stutters nonstop, or if your web browser has to spend half a minute waiting before it can get enough time to load a new page.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Aeloi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aeloi
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 07:44:19 am »

I've noticed this same 50% phenomena, however I am running a pentium 4... :-\

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 08:07:34 am »

I've noticed this same 50% phenomena, however I am running a pentium 4... :-\
It's just pretending to be a dual core processor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthreading :)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 11:10:20 am »

Confusingly, because hyperthreading (esp the p4's version) doesn't actually double the performance of the cpu compared to non-hyperthreaded, your percentage utilisation reported by windows is complete garbage :)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 01:40:34 pm »

Confusingly, because hyperthreading (esp the p4's version) doesn't actually double the performance of the cpu compared to non-hyperthreaded, your percentage utilisation reported by windows is complete garbage :)

*Labels the switch "Garbage" with two states: "off" and "in"*
Pages: 1 [2]