Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wow. Sieges Escalate Fast...  (Read 2078 times)

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wow. Sieges Escalate Fast...
« on: November 27, 2010, 01:14:59 am »

Okay, I am in my third year. First year, nothing. Second year, a small ambush of goblin archers and spearmen, and a siege of 20 spearmen with a crossbowman on a voracious cave crawler, not counting the veriatable horde of thieves that danced about my front gate for a while. I handled them well enough, had a moat to keep the building destroyers away. Second siege:
51 Goblins, ALL ON VORACIOUS CAVE CRAWLERS, and ALL OF THEM RIGHT NEXT TO MY FORT. One of them is also an Elite Bowman, and has killed 3 of my 10 archers through the fortifications in their pillbox. The elite-pikeman is stuck between moats in a harmless position, at least.
22 of them are pinned between my outer dry moat and the lava moat, 6 of those in cage traps. No luck in them hitting my Building Destroyer traps yet either. I am moving my crossbowdwarves inside to my inner fortifications, where the super-archer of stupitude can't hit them. Good thing I have all of them wearing masterwork iron armor, with another 15 sets in reserve for me to put to good use. Otherwise I'd have another couple dead by now.
If only my dwarves had gotten a few more moods, and finished up that set of gold, gem encrusted plate armor. I'd scare off the enemy with sheer badassery if I had that.
ADDED: Another Marksdwarf bites the dust. 4 down, 6 to go. Damn Elite Bowmen.
4 more Cave-Crawler/Goblin duos have been caught in traps.
The 5 still inside have been destroying my mausoleum. Ghosts get... violent, right? :D
I think 5 or 6 of my marksdwarves are down now, me sad. Definitely a good thing I have spare weapons and armor, I am going to start recruiting. They've gotten out of the line of fire, and I forbid the stuff in bowshot when I realized one of my peasants was vomiting all over when he tried to fetch a piece of armor.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:25:45 am by MijRai »

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wow. Sieges Escalate Fast...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 01:51:23 am »

Hmm, I need to bait my Building Destroyer traps better.

Also, I feel really bad for the first caravan or migrant wave that shows up. I mean, 51 Cavecrawler/Goblin combos, minus the small number caught in my traps. Two of them are Elite Bowmen now, looks like they used my dwarves for practice.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 02:39:33 am »

Levers to pillars with big towering columns on them.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 05:21:29 am »

Yeah, there's something about sieges since .17 that seem to make them escalate far too quickly for my mind to comprehend. I've had to turn sieges off until I can build my fortress as I like it, train my military, set my traps, AND THEN turn them back on.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 05:28:38 am »

Take the soldiers out of the pillbox and chain a kitten up inside of it. Repeat until they are out of ammo THEN return fire.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 05:41:05 am »

Take the soldiers out of the pillbox and chain a kitten up inside of it. Repeat until they are out of ammo THEN return fire.

The dwarf/s chaining them might get hit, so it's risky, but probably worth it.

I guess they hear about the fort through caravans and such now too, word spreads of this outpost rapidly expanding into a large city. I had nothing but a load of kobold theives and a few baby snatchers, then all of a sudden a siege turned up. [I panicked when I saw blood all over the floor on my wall, then I used K and it turns out it was goblin blood, that's a hell of a splatter considering my archers were four Z-Levels above and a fair few away].

If you want more defence against building destroyers, try a support with a 3x3 floor above it, then they knock out the support and they get get smashed.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 11:52:58 am »

I think you misunderstood me. The cave-in traps are fine, the problem is they are a little out of the way. I know how to make them right, I learned that when I crushed a miner when the support wasn't complete. Anyway, bait animals are a good idea, approximately how many arrows do they carry?

All the building destroyers have gottren is a trade depot, my mausoleum, and 4 doors. Only 2 dead were buried there, I hope their ghosts become vengeful or something.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 12:03:09 pm »

I still can't get my Dwarfs training into an army. they only way the  get experience is by telling them to kill every critter that shows up on the map.  Personally I am going for immense Trap laden entrance to my fort.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 02:03:53 pm »

I still can't get my Dwarfs training into an army. they only way the  get experience is by telling them to kill every critter that shows up on the map.  Personally I am going for immense Trap laden entrance to my fort.
Danger room

I've had bow-goblins carry up to 50 arrows in their quiver. THis is what I use to soak up goblin arrows and bolts.
z0
Code: [Select]
==============
       xxx|>.|
       xxx|>.|
       xxx|>.|
==============
z-1
Code: [Select]
==============
+            |
+            |
+            |
==============

=,| wall
X,> stairs
. pit
+ fortifications

Drop your favorite animals into the pit, and watch gobins pump arrows into them from the lower level.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 02:18:08 pm »

You must apply additional serrated disks directly to the forehead.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 02:37:55 pm »

Oh good, it's not just me, then.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm enjoying it
enlist 30 dwarves in the army with no training at the siege
5 survive, but they are capable of taking down armies, when equiped
repeat at next migrant wave.  Although, the slab thing makes this tactic a bit tiring.
eventually they'll be too afraid to come to my fortress, but by that time I'll have a good trap system set up
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 03:10:19 pm »

I've not had any such trouble. By the time I start getting ambushes, let alone sieges, I'm heavily fortified. This is despite the fact that I lowered the titan money threshold.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 03:45:14 pm »

I used to have when I was starting. After building an armor stand and designating it as a barracks, select the squad you want to train and press t to assign a squad to train there. Then, select the squad and press t to switch them from inactive to active/training.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 03:48:26 pm »

Man the lava pumps, burn everything on the surface level map to cinders!

Er, you do have lava pumps ready to deploy, yes?
Pages: [1] 2