Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population Limit Not Working  (Read 1435 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Population Limit Not Working
« on: November 27, 2010, 12:51:16 am »

I've set my limit to 25 when my population was at 27 in spring. For Summer AND Autumn I got 2 migration waves each ~8 dwarves.

Does the limit not work retroactively? If it doesn't is there any way to set a limit so no migrations come until i decide to change it?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:35:50 pm by Acperience »

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: Population Limit Not Working
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 12:53:04 am »

I believe a dwarf caravan has to come.

But I'm not sure.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 01:14:53 am »

Not sure if it does or doesn't, but you could put it back at 200, kill off those extra dwarfs in an atomsmasher to get under 25, then set it at 25 again to not be setting it at a point where it's under the number of dwarfs you already have.

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:27:43 am »

I have the same problem. Population limit doesn't seem to do anything at all. I set it to 20 before I even started playing and I usually have 35 dorfs by the second year.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 05:04:42 am »

I had the same problem in 31.13 and later versions, so my solution was to go back to 31.12.

The caravans or more precisely the damn diplomats annoyed me then even more, so I now let the world_gen run for 500 years and only accept totally dead dwarven civilizations. Oddly enough, there are still the first two waves, always.

But at least no immigration waves of 25 when I've already 30 dwarves and the pop_cap is set firmly to "1".
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 05:33:01 am »

You can radically reduce your diplomat pain by going into the designate menu and then left clicking somewhere, preferably where you dwarves won't try to dig. It runs on its own timer distinct from the game speed but because of how designating with the mouse works it will fly by lightning quick.

Still have to back out of the four or five different conversation windows you didn't care about though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 05:35:07 am »

For me it's working. I set it at 101, and at most it exceeded by one or two.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 10:22:33 am »

A population cap does not work for dwarves that are already on their way.

This means the first year almost never works.

Also, if you play a fortress with no cap and you then set the cap to play a different fortress, you might get a migrant wave because of the other fortress.

It's really wonky how it works, but you shouldn't get more than 1 wave over the cap.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 11:10:53 am »

The first two waves WILL come.
They are hardcoded.
THEY WILL COME WHATEVER YOUR POP CAP IS!
But after those, there neveer should come another one.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 11:58:42 am »

My recommendation is to try not to become too wealthy too fast. This is easier for some than others and often depends on map features. For the first year try to stick to stone furniture and crafts and only make as much as you think you'll need. This should keep your first migrant waves small.

Lately I've noticed the game does a pretty good job of stopping the waves exactly on my population cap. I usually only get two or three. It only goes over the population cap when I start getting babies. Maybe I've just been lucky?

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 12:11:38 pm »

The first two waves WILL come.
They are hardcoded.
THEY WILL COME WHATEVER YOUR POP CAP IS!
But after those, there neveer should come another one.

THIS. As was said, the first two migrant waves come regardless of population cap, existance of civilizations, accessability, death rates, etc. This was done so that fortresses that had no access to their parent civilization (though extinction for example) would still have enough dwarves to operate smoothly. Unfortunatly, for pepole with low pop-caps, it exceeds the popcap.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:13:11 pm by Silent_Thunder »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 01:39:26 pm »

Also:  As mentioned it is expected that you overshoot the pop-cop.  often by as many as ~19 dwarves.  This is because if your pop is 1 below the cap the game will permit a migrant wave...which may contain 20 dwarves.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »

Ah, now I understand.

I ramp up wealth production almost immediately. Stone and shell crafts as soon as the first shelter is dug. In the future I will not do that.