Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Explosive obsidian  (Read 1337 times)

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Explosive obsidian
« on: November 26, 2010, 10:31:28 pm »

I've found that when I try to mine (or channel) obsidian created by adding water to lava, the result is a big explosion. Now, I'm not sure if this is normal (I've a feeling it isnt- if you know anything about it, please mention it), but I'm thinking that this could be used for some serious fun. One idea that comes to mind is a narrow corridor made of [explosive] obsidian at the entrance of the fort, manned by a vigilant dwarf lookout. When enemies pass through, this brave dwarf raises his pick and strikes one final, epic blow against the enemy... and is explosively propelled into a ready-made tomb, his final resting place, where all may pay tribute to the fallen dwarven hero.

I'd love to hear other fun ideas for how this might be used.

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
Re: Explosive obsidian
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:39:53 pm »

yay to my knowledge thats a bug, i have never  had that happen before.

Idea: see if when it falls it explodes on impact, then you could use it as falling grenades in hallways or something :D
An Elf in a cage is worth two in the forest

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:44:56 pm »

I tried mining obsidian from a murky pool emptying into a volcano.
The miner teleported into the magma sea.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:45:33 pm »

Are you sure it's not just the usual steam coming off of it from the result of the mixture?
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 10:51:12 pm »

Not at all normal, from my experience. But I haven't done much obsidian farming since a few releases ago. Wow, that would change my typically death-trap-like obsidian farming chamber (slick volcanic glass ramps and edges and potentially boiling hot waste water/steam) into a suicide room. Just imagine shards of volcanic glass shrapnel...

This "explosion" isn't, by any chance, unchanged lava pools mingling with water, is it? If there are steam clouds after this explosion, I'd bet that's the culprit.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:57:53 pm »

I think I did something similar in the arena. If you put magma on top of water, it leaves the water alone, but forms a ceiling over it.

Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 11:14:37 pm »

This "explosion" isn't, by any chance, unchanged lava pools mingling with water, is it? If there are steam clouds after this explosion, I'd bet that's the culprit.

After some testing, it looks like that was the problem. Thanks!

Incidentally, I experienced this explosive setback whilst attempting to construct my fortress within a volcano. If anyone has any ideas on how to do -that-, I would love to hear them.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 12:09:28 am »

just try working with a volcano on a glacier, and the amount of work to create a farm without building in the caverns... Miners getting frozen/obsidianized.  Also all attempts to turn hfs into a massive obsidian block have failed to Glowing pits...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 12:17:06 am »

What does HFS stand for?

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 12:26:01 am »

What does HFS stand for?

You must dig deep, and greedily.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 01:08:46 am »

What does HFS stand for?

Hidden Fun Stuff
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 01:41:14 am »

What does HFS stand for?

You must dig deep, and greedily.

As long as you don't over-do it, and both at the same time. Maybe 20 z-levels, giggling like a schoolgirl whenever you find a gem. If you find yourself 140 levels down, cackling maniacally at the slightest sign of galena, you've dug too greedily and too deep. :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 05:08:47 pm »

Ahhh, that HSF. I'm horrible with abbreviations. No, I'm not planning on making HSF solid obsidian.

My plan at present is to create a 20 z-level  obsidian fortress within the lava of the volcano at my embark site. Not only will this be an interesting defense, it will make for some definite fun at some point when something goes wrong. Not that I won't take every precaution to stave off said fun, which will make it all the more fun when the fun happens.

The idea is a lava moat... only rather than encircling the fort, it entirely envelopes it! Well, except for the entrance bridge/tunnel/tubes, which will also serve as the means of suspending the fortress in the lava. I think I may use windmills  to power the machinery within the fortress, if I can acquire the necessary number of nether cap logs for a submerged power transfer system. (It would use a set of gear assemblies and a horizontal axle submerged within a short channel of lava, with un-submerged gear assemblies sitting atop the submerged ones, followed by a second similar setup that uses water instead of lava, to ensure that nothing can enter the fortress through the power transfer tunnel unless it can fly, swim through lava, and swim through water).

I will try to incorporate a system of pumps that can flood or drain every major horizontal traffic passageway with lava, and construct all of the doors from these passages to other sections of the fortress on the roof- ie, the dwarves will have their rooms, workshops, etc. atop the passageways. In the event of a catastrophic breach of the outer defenses, the dwarves would retreat into these upper rooms (via burrow designations) and a lever would be pulled to flood all the passageways with lava, ensuring that either the dwarves will be safe from harm in their rooms while the enemy is dealt with by the military, they will be trapped alone and eventually starve when the military is slaughtered, or they will be trapped and each forced to face the horribly powerful magma-safe foe when it finds them cowering in their rooms. Fun.

Of course, this is what I would -like- to do. I know it is -possible- to do, but it may take a ridiculously large amount of time to accomplish.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:10:27 pm by Malaclypse »

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 05:19:06 pm »

Catapults. Catapults throwing obsidian.....
i want obsidian.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 05:29:48 pm »

malaclypse... don't you know you are only weeding out the weak ones? You fool!
Pages: [1] 2