Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ignore population checks in 31.18?  (Read 1235 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ignore population checks in 31.18?
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:11:58 pm »

I want to play with a fortress that grows slowly, from the original 7 dwarves into a larger fortress. However, I don't want this done too quickly via migrations. This tends to lead to tantrum spirals and I just can't manage that many dwarves in such a small amount of time. However, I also don't want to lose out on any of the invasions. A low population does not equal a weak fortress and I think I would be able to handle an enemy invasion at lower population levels better than at greater ones. So how do I keep the perks of invasions with a population cap of 10? Beyond 10, it gets chaotic and I don't want to get more than 10 until later on when they reproduce (read: at a steady pace).

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ignore population checks in 31.18?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:38:05 pm »

You're going to have to do some modding to pull this off, but it should be possible.

Look in your entity_default file for the EVIL entry; this refers to the goblins. Find the lines that read PROGRESS_TRIGGER_something_some number, and change the numbers for all of them to 0. This will make the goblins able to ambush and siege when you've got above a certain population, produced a certain amount of wealth, and exported a certain amount of wealth. In all cases with a progress trigger of 0, the number of people, created wealth, and exported wealth you need is equal to 0, so they should be able to siege immediately, and will start showing up as early as the first winter.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:41:35 pm »

I changed everything that starts with:

PROGRESS_TRIGGER

to 0 in the default entity file. Does this affect ONLY ambushes/sieges by goblins/humans/elves?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 09:58:57 pm »

i believe so.

attacks by titans is a worldgen parameter...by default 80 dwarves and 100k created wealth.

i believe fb's are pure randomsauce once you hit the cavern
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 10:10:32 pm »

I think zero means "does not trigger from this trigger". Try "1" instead in all six parameters.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:34:44 pm »

I think zero means "does not trigger from this trigger". Try "1" instead in all six parameters.

Are you sure? I already started a game with 0 in all of them.

Here is what I found on the matter:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58013.0

It would be nice if someone truly knowledgeable commented.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 11:40:30 pm by vassock »

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 01:20:41 am »

It's really easier to just atomsmash, drown or burn all your migrants, and much more enjoyable.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 01:24:52 am »

No dice. This'll flood your fortress with ghosts.
If you want no migrants, your only option is probably playing a world where dwarves are extinct.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 02:49:48 am »

You can change pop triggers after you start your game and have the changes apply to the currently active game, so if you're dissatisfied with the results of your modding, change them again.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 12:37:56 am »

You can change pop triggers after you start your game and have the changes apply to the currently active game, so if you're dissatisfied with the results of your modding, change them again.

Right, but I won't know for a while. It would be easier if someone who knew just let us know if 0 set sieges to be active right away (assuming hostility or war) or if it turned them off entirely.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 04:18:52 pm »

In the in init files, I set population cap to 0. Why am I still getting some (not a lot) migrants?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 06:33:54 pm »

Right, but I won't know for a while. It would be easier if someone who knew just let us know if 0 set sieges to be active right away (assuming hostility or war) or if it turned them off entirely.
Anyone?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 07:05:19 pm »

In the in init files, I set population cap to 0. Why am I still getting some (not a lot) migrants?
The first 2 migrant waves, during the first summer and autumn, seem to ignore the pop cap settings.

Also, for some settings at least 0 means "off." I don't think that's the case with pop cap, but you might want to set it to 1 anyway, since you want some pop cap instead of none.

I think darkflagrance probably knows the answer to this question better than anyone, given his work on the Fortress Defense mod. Since he gave no answer, it's probably unknown.

FortDefense's immediate siege entity, the Dark Stranglers, siege as early as the first winter and have: [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]
That doesn't really answer the question, though IIRC they siege regardless of your population level.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 07:09:16 pm »

I'll try making that change. I can same & exit, close the app, make the change, save, open the game, load the save, and it will be in effect?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:17:45 pm by vassock »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 08:41:19 pm »

I'll try making that change. I can same & exit, close the app, make the change, save, open the game, load the save, and it will be in effect?
Should be. Make sure you make the change in the save file's version of the raws, though. Those are in data/save/the appropriate region folder/raw/objects.
Pages: [1] 2