Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress crashes  (Read 19570 times)

Inari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress crashes
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 02:17:47 am »

Yeah, I get the "cleaning game object" crash too, and while I've so far had no problem loading the resultant save file, I'm worried that it might cause grief down the track.  It also leaves the DF process hanging, which is easy enough to terminate, but still.  Anybody know what's going on here?

Also, what's the [PET] tweak?  Is that the no exotics thing?

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 04:18:13 am »

To clarify it seems like most of my crashes occur after inputting too many commands. I keep a browser open above the DF client so I can have a documentary going at the same time. When I bugger around with both of the windows I'll often hear an error beep and down goes the DF client, along with an error message. That's not the only time it happens though, sometimes when I hit too many keys that I didn't mean to press with the client window focused, it'll do the same thing.

Edit: I think I was wrong. I just got another crash but it had nothing to do with switching windows. While trying to build a carpenter's workshop, I pressed enter to select the logs and that's when it crashed. What could be causing this?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:59:03 am by debvon »

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 04:28:44 am »

I don't know about the windows version but my Linux .18 crashes everytime a kobold thief leaves the map. So it is unplayable.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 06:03:06 am »

And now it crashed when pressing 'k'. Hmm

lotopius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 09:08:54 am »

Mine crashes due to "contaminant overload".
Checking the doctors or a warrior's inventory after an ambush or a siege is a guaranteed return to windows.
Idem for floor tiles with "k" once the dwarves have been cleaned. I have to use dfclean immediately.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 10:42:59 am »

Also, what's the [PET] tweak?  Is that the no exotics thing?
Yes, though not necessarily done via No Exotics.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

lgw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Linux Gaming World
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 11:00:18 am »

I don't know about the windows version but my Linux .18 crashes everytime a kobold thief leaves the map. So it is unplayable.

The crash happens when your military is chasing the thief and it leaves the map, actually.  You will have to rely on traps instead of steel, but the GNU version is playable.
"Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 01:33:05 pm »

I seem to crash when ordering kill commands on gremlins/kobolds/snatchers.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 03:59:22 pm »

Don't use kill commands. Just use defend burrow. Make the entire surface a burrow. Order your dwarves to defend it. They will automatically attack all hostiles that appear on the surface. Its all entirely automatic.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 04:00:59 pm »

My game crashes when saving manually 90% of the time (while cleaning game objects). I still get the save and can continue so it doesn't bother me much. Still, does anybody know what's causing this?

I was getting this a lot.  Then my saves became corrupt.  I could load them but not save them.  I'm on Win 7 64bit with 8GB RAM and installed on D: not C:.  Time to start over.  Maybe with .16.
Ancient Avatar

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 04:41:22 pm »

Don't use kill commands. Just use defend burrow. Make the entire surface a burrow. Order your dwarves to defend it. They will automatically attack all hostiles that appear on the surface. Its all entirely automatic.

Will this drive them nuts with long sessions on duty, or can you just leave them this way?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

fargred

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 05:49:04 pm »

(sorry for the crosspost from another thread, but it seems to be better fitted here:)
Every time I try to link something to my lever, thus selecting it, adding a new task and then choosing the type of object that should be linked (eg bridges, doors...) it crashes (before the list of possible objects appears). When it occured the first time, I actually lost a good hour of gameplay, but realoading the old file, playing a while again and making a new save didn't do the trick either...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 06:07:53 pm »

Will this drive them nuts with long sessions on duty, or can you just leave them this way?

Only if you leave them on duty all year round. Make squads and give them shifts. Some months on duty, some months on training, some months off duty.

You can also use this method to "hunt" in the caverns. With steel swords and axes. They will attack everything hostile, including wildlife. As almost all cavern wildlife is hostile they will be very busy in the caverns.

CharlieBrown

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 11:36:54 am »

Hello,

I'm extremely new to dwarf fortress and while trying to play it using 40_08 starter pack r2 and following some tutorials it's been impossible for me to play it because the game keeps crashing every time I resume it. I can set orders and stuff but I have yet to see the game live only because it will crash every time, which is unfortunate. Is this a known issue? is it because I'm using an old version (not sure if I am) in windows 8 or just because I'm a noob and completely missing something very obvious? Any help would be appreciated, I've been trying to approach the game for a while now and it would be a shame if in the end I just can't

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 01:42:18 pm »

Does your starter pack include any version of DFHack? If so, DELETE IT and wait until a fixed version is available.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2] 3