Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress crashes  (Read 19562 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Dwarf fortress crashes
« on: November 26, 2010, 06:45:26 pm »

I've heard the new dwarf fortress versions crash relatively often, and I was wondering what seems to trigger the crashes if anyone has found out? I'm trying to figure out if it's dwarf fortress causing the problem, or my hard drive getting ready to kick the bucket.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress crashes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:03:11 pm »

The only crashes I get are on Embarks, sometimes I get the "Windows is closing the programme down" message, other times I get about 10-15 minutes of hard drive thrashing during which time my computer is pretty much locked up.

It happens a lot on custom worlds, not so much on regular generated worlds.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 07:12:50 pm »

It happens while the game is running, and I get the "windows has shut this program down" or whatever the box says. I am running a mod, so maybe that's it.

I'll try running a vanilla dwarf fortress game mod and see if the issues persist I suppose.

I am not entirely sure why I didn't think to do that to begin with.  ???

Edit:Yeah, vanilla crashes and leaves nothing in the error log.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:40:32 pm by Seriyu »

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:11:18 pm »

I've noticed that sometimes during worldgen and embark (and other times at random), I get the (not responding) message from windows, but let it keep running. Eventually it works itself out and continues running. This game seems to take a lot of RAM and processing power to work properly, the simple graphics wouldn't suggest it but this game needs a rather good computer to run properly, otherwise it freezes up while the computer takes its time to calculate whatever it's working through.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 11:41:49 pm »

In several forts it had never crashed on me, but in my last fort I got ambushed and the ambushers ended up killing most of my dwarves because my military wouldn't get off their fecking arses. Halfway through the horrible bloodshed (based on dwarves left) it crashed. I have no reason to go back to that save, so this is hardly helpful at all.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 01:16:40 am »

I've yet to get .18 to work; it always seems to crash when I either embark, or carry over old saved fortresses.
I'm sticking with .16 for now.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 02:46:29 am »

Try to check task manager for DF's memory usage every once in a while, see how close it is to using it all.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 04:59:16 pm »

Yeah I've been playing a little while, so I know about the not responding thing. :P

I honestly can't explain anything consistant between the crashes. I'll give Schmlok's suggestion a try next time I feel like starting it up. Thanks for all the advice everyone.  :)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »

This version has crashed multiple times with many different graphic sets and even with vanilla. It's very frustrating, I guess I need to turn autosave on but I don't know how much good that'll do. Like just this afternoon I lost an entire fortress that I had spent the day working on while trying to experiment with something.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 05:46:56 pm »

Running the latest version of Mayday on W7, I don't think I've ever had a crash I couldn't directly attribute to something. No mods [other than Mayday, if you consider tilesets to be mods...].
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 05:51:09 pm »

I've had very little (no?) problems with random crashing on .18. I'm running Windows 7 with 4GB RAM and a 2.13 GHz C2D processor. Mostly vanilla with a couple of mineral and animal additions, plus the [PET] tweak.

I guess I need to turn autosave on but I don't know how much good that'll do.
Seasonal autosave with backup will work pretty nicely for experiments in which you don't want to commit yourself to a course of action by saving.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 06:34:26 pm »

My game crashes when saving manually 90% of the time (while cleaning game objects). I still get the save and can continue so it doesn't bother me much. Still, does anybody know what's causing this?

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 06:49:56 pm »

1.  It has(had?) a known crash on save, well after the save really.

2.  If you manage to find a bugged embark site, it can easily continue to fill your ram to capacity, or the standard limit for programs in 32bit of 2gigs(unless they are 3Gaware)

Other than those, I have never had DF crash in any 2010 version.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 07:43:56 pm »

The only crashes I ever had are:

1) because I was a tard and made a mistake in a raw file.
2) selected an embark area of 16x16 tiles.

If your computer is crashing you may have other hardware faults, like bad memory. Do a memory test.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 07:52:39 pm »

I've had more crashes on the linux versions than the windows versions.

When the windows one says 'program not responding', ususally its just lagging and will unfreeze itself after a minute or so.
Pages: [1] 2 3