Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Compilation of DF Memes  (Read 4743 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Compilation of DF Memes
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 12:17:48 am »

I never get to tell stories. I'm bloody good at telling stories as well, but no-one cares about Norse legends, so I never get to tell them. -grump-

I had to learn stories with no relevance to modern society, didn't I?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 02:12:21 am »

I never get to tell stories. I'm bloody good at telling stories as well, but no-one cares about Norse legends, so I never get to tell them. -grump-

I think Loki was a cool guy! I mean he was one of the first documented characters to show character development, that's points to the Norse.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 02:42:36 am »

Your happiness then?
Or maybe your self confidence? We aren't picky.

On a hill, near a village, lived a hermit who had dedicated his life to the study of bunraku performance.  He knew that often the village had celebrations wherein the youths would occasionally try their hand at recreations of the delicate art of combining the acts of puppeteering and music to tell fantastic stories of both ages past, and those fabricated on the spot.  After many years, the hermit had made his way down into town to check up on the current state of his beloved art, only to become horrified.  At the center of town was a mockery of what was his core pleasure in life- the villagers had circled with the village's prized bunraku equipment; the puppets, the shamisens, and the drums.

One youth spoke:  "This puppet looks funny," he said, while holding it up by an arm.  "Laugh."
Another replied:  "This shamisen has been handed down for ages." he plucked at it, holding the tortoise-shell plectrum with the wrong fingers.  "Remember."
A third added:  "This drum is large."  He struck at it, with no power in his wrists.  "Become fearful!"

The hermit spake unto them, about the glory of successful bunraku of past years, and how the tools they held were not nearly as important as the hands that held them, and the mind that drove those hands.  Becoming enraged at this, assuming the simple criticism- which came from a place of honesty within the monk's heart- as insult; that they must adhere to his dated ways and stop having fun!  The villagers threatened to shake the puppets wildly, pluck the strings harshly, and smash on the drums with no care for rhythm or power.

"We hope this angers you!  We hope you know there's nothing you can do to stop us!"

And the monk shrugged, for this was true.  He could do nothing to stop them.  And yet he had enough hope within him to smile, because he knew that with enough shaking, enough discordant sour notes, and enough feeble beats, the villagers might grow bored and move on to other things.  But deeper within was a stronger hope- the hope that through their cacophony, the villagers may one day learn to move the puppet with grace, pluck the strings in a soothing manner, and develop the muscle to strike the drum with fervor. 

Zen Edit:  Modified one line for clarification.
That was actually rather nice and made my having to go to work in a blizzard in an hour or so a less daunting prospect.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 03:03:40 am »

Nothing's stopping you from making new stories.

That was actually rather nice and made my having to go to work in a blizzard in an hour or so a less daunting prospect.

Excellent, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 04:15:43 am »

work in a blizzard

Please make WoW less bad.

Also, I enjoyed the story very much. Keep on drummin', hermit dude.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2010, 04:24:25 am »

work in a blizzard

I.. Um.. should I point this out?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 04:51:32 am »

work in a blizzard

Also, I enjoyed the story very much. Keep on drummin', hermit dude.

Also, SC2 needs to be ironed out even more. Stop dicking around with MMO's and mayby ghost will be out one day.  ;D
I mean SC2 SUCKS compared to brood war. Blizzard happened to notice that pro players worked very carefully on there builds and counters, so they tried to make the entire game on that, and mirco went to hell! Back in the day a single marine could take out any number of lurkers if you were careful enough, but now they have to be matched up against what they counter.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 07:11:28 am »

Although we do run our memes into the ground and then bash them over the head with a +Larch Barrel+, it's all in stupid fun. I hope nobody thinks the Dwarf Fortress memes are clever or well thought out jokes.

Oh, except "Urist Mc_____"

I like that one. And it's an easy, shorthand way to describe a dwarf for the purpose of telling a story or example of something.

EDIT: We should also get back to calling everything HFS so I can stop calling it Happy Fun Stuff and learn to call it Hidden Fun Stuff.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:14:05 am by metime00 »
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

chaturga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 09:51:14 am »

Cat Tallow Roast?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 09:51:37 am »

No one will forget, Demon Mouse! Tastes like SAAAAAAaaaataaaaan!

'Twas a demon rat.

ARGLEBARGLE
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2010, 11:19:57 am »

Guys I'm just the janitor cut me some slack...

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »

Microcline in everywhere.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 06:28:37 pm »

Fail goblins.
Cutebolds.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2010, 06:41:15 pm »

Fail goblins.
Cutebolds.

Kobold kobold kobold.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2010, 06:58:35 pm »

No one will forget, Demon Mouse! Tastes like SAAAAAAaaaataaaaan!

'Twas a demon rat.

ARGLEBARGLE

Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5