Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Warning: This topic contains dangerous levels of Fun. Not the spoiler kind.  (Read 1591 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Okay, so I was doing this awesome fort with an awesomely long name. Ushilas Katthir Sirab, "Icecaves the Nourishment of Warmth".

So I had this neat little base here, and then I had a water problem.
See, it's pretty cold down here. And the river is only flowing (and some pools are only liquid) in mid-summer. And when my brewers stopped brewing, I started digging for an aquifier layer.
I didn't find it.
I did find a cavern. With no water. And bad stuff. Then, after I had brewers working again, another one which did have water (not one, but TWO underground seas).
Trouble was, these were both separate from my actual base.

Fast forward to the present.
An ambush of six goblins arrive.
I send some people at them.
They get murdered.
I send EVERYONE at them.
They get murdered. Separately.
Only three survive because they didn't heed the order. One was busy fighting (or endlessly running away from) cave swallows, the other two were doing...something or other down in the second cavern.

I'm now working with these caverns and three dwarves: two miners and a fisher (all of them female, so no kids to increase our population). The gobbos will almost certainly murder them if they come out of the doors.

I'd like to repopulate my base with any migrants I get. Trouble is, I never got underground farms working there, due to people not digging and the lack of water. There's no food source inside the door. Now, if I get any, ANY safe tunnel that links my caverns to my base, it would be a godsend.

Fortunately, the second cavern is a good source of food. There are trees, plants, and some farms, but not many fish from what I gather. I was also able to set up a couple of beds. If I can ever get a trade depot (unlikely), there's a ton of native gold in the second cavern, and native silver in the first. The first cavern is unsafe, though: the cave swallow people are not particularly friendly. The only one who is apparently became so due to killing a dwarf.
Yeah, it didn't make sense to me either.

WHAT I DO?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:05:34 pm by Twi »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile

You can designate farms on the muddy cavern tiles, using seeds gained from gathering plants.
There are almost never fish in the caverns, in my experience, so turn that fisher into a farmer.
Are the goblins still there? If so, they will kill your migrants.
Never give up! Losing is FUN!

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I know, I have farms down there. Small ones, but they aren't being used yet, unfortunately. Hopefully, they'll get to it soon. I'm flooding a bigger one right now.
The problem is that to get from the caverns to the base, you have to go outside. Not a good thing.
I don't know what I'll do with the migrants. Depends on where they arrive from. The gobbos aren't too close to the doors of my cavern, I may be able to sneak the migrants in and lock the door behind them.
Or use a swarm attack.
If I can't sneak past the goblins and the migrants don't get murdered, I may set up a separate base for them.
YET ANOTHER EDIT:
I don't have an axe down in the caverns, but I do have two picks, iron and copper.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:18:38 pm by Twi »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile

So long as a tile has at least a smear of mud on it it can support a farm, so you don't need to flood cavern layers unless they were just mined out. Also, you should build a tunnel to the caverns from your survivors' hiding spot, it will make living easier.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Yeah, but my cave is extremely lacking in large, muddy open areas. It's like a Labryinth or something.
EDIT: The first one is nice and open, but it's not safe  and I'm already trying to wall it off.

My survivors ARE hiding in the caverns.
I need a tunnel from there to what was my base.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:26:50 pm by Twi »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No axe?  ouch thats a blow.  You may want to consider going down to the magma sea to setup a smelter, melt one of the picks in favor of an axe and deforest a cavern, you can then ofcourse make wooden training axes if you so wish.

With wood you can make buckets, with the buckets you can irrigate from the cavern that does contain water

You may get lucky with repopulating, one of your females may be pregnant.  However it wont go very far since I dont think they do incestuous relationships.

If you plan to clear the gobbos at the surface sometime then dont take too long about it, every immigrant wave/caravan they butcher is training them up.  Perhaps dig back to your base and leave a thin wall, wait till they are busy killing some tree-hugger merchants and quickly break back into your base for supplies before resealing yourself.  If the gobbos are far enough away you could wall off a fair chunk of your old fort
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile

Ninja'd.

What celem said is a good idea, though.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Memorialize your dead before trying to reclaim your fort, ghosts can out right kill dwarves.  Slabs will work, as I assume that the surface is still under goblin control.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

My base has a door, and they have no building destroyers, so getting into the base from underground shouldn't be a huge problem.
They're not IN it, they're just roaming the surface, apparently killing off my last tame animals.
As for wood and the axe...
Getting a magma smelter up and running is a good idea.  But I need food first.
Also, if I can sneak into my base, there's a Copper Battle Axe sitting around in one of the workshops, along with some other things (food, gems, clothing, stones, a training spear, a corkscrew, some leather and cloth items)

As for ghosts, I've never dealt with them before. There are a TON of dead things, so...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:39:06 pm by Twi »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Melting of one (or even two) pick may not be enough for an axe (I don't remember exact figures). Also, to get wooden axe you need... you know, WOOD, for which you need an axe...

Or, if you prefer less Fun, you can just mine some ore and make metal out of it.

Edit: As for ghosts, I don't think you should worry much. The succession game I just recently finished has about 4 screens of horribly murdered dwarves, and only two were seen as ghosts (for about 5 RL minutes).

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Warning: This topic contains dangerous levels of Fun. Not the spoiler kind.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 12:59:48 pm »

I have tons of ore.
I have no fire.
>_>

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 01:05:41 pm »

NOTE: I think I do have a small amount of wood (four logs), but I'm not sure where.. It might be something in the first cave I missed and didn't forbid.
EDIT: Apparently not...but then where IS it?
ANOTHER EDIT: Ahah! It's in the rafters (that I built) of the first cave. 11 logs, a mix of pine and larch.
Woot.
Now all I need is to figure out where you make a wooden training axe...
/question
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:14:46 pm by Twi »

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 01:25:40 pm »

NOTE: I think I do have a small amount of wood (four logs), but I'm not sure where.. It might be something in the first cave I missed and didn't forbid.
EDIT: Apparently not...but then where IS it?
ANOTHER EDIT: Ahah! It's in the rafters (that I built) of the first cave. 11 logs, a mix of pine and larch.
Woot.
Now all I need is to figure out where you make a wooden training axe...
/question

Carpentry Workshop.  Have FUN

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 01:27:37 pm »

Breaking news: Someone is apparently attending a meeting.
One person.
What.
But working on the axe, some beds, etc.
One was just destroyed by tantrum.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:30:20 pm by Twi »

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 01:30:17 pm »

Personally I see ghosts as a higher threat especially if they are of the angry varieties, I've had them kill dwarves on the spot.  The appearance of ghosts is somewhat random, if they were unhappy at death they seem to be more likely to appear and are of the dangerous varieties.

Meetings are either grieving/unhappy dwarves with your nobility, or your leader and a diplomat.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."
Pages: [1] 2