Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Spring Festival : A roleplay heavy game set in the Dwarf Fortress Universe.  (Read 1452 times)

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile

More or less what the topic says. The basic story for the first few sessions is that you're a group of friends, late-teens/young adults, who know each other via The Spring Festival (A gigantic Celebration that honors all gods of all races), an event that is held every year on the first week of Spring at the fortress of Tulega ('Warmtamed'), and you're meeting for the celebration again this year. However, after that, it's going to be largely freeform, exploring the world and whatnot.

We're going to be using the Unknown Armies system, because it is excellent for making roleplaying characters. Street level characters, who don't start with the 'Drive' skill, obviously. Other than that, anything goes. Whatever race, whatever profession, nearly whatever background (If I see someone making something ridiculous like a 'half-dragon half-titan half-demon catgirl' I will be sad.), and I'm allowing magic, but you better have a good reason to explain why you have it (Devout worship of a god/megabeast, most likely), and be prepared to have it not be very powerful, at least at first. I'm looking for probably 4-7 players.

I'm going to be uploading a full folder of the game in general so you can look over the legends for information on gods, demons, and beasts (I'm made some modifications to make humans playable, so I can't just upload the save), but for now, have a map.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, game folder!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ME61ZA80
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:14:42 am by Tibbles »
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

Do you mind telling us *what* that sgin-up sheet is? Many of us don't really know what that is.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile

I am not familiar with this "Unknown Armies" system, could you link to/describe it?

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile

Just message me with a character concept, or post in the thread.

As for the Unknown Armies system, it's a Percentage based system, with a freeform skill list. Essentially, there are no set skills, apart from a few things which everyone has. It's a system meant for Modern Occult Horror, but I find it works well when running games set in Dwarf Fortress, because as well as an incredibly flexible skill list, it also provides a good system for madness, and offers fast, deadly combat.

A link to general rules, character generation and skills (Also includes some background information about the Unknown Armies setting, which you can skip):
http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ua2_preview.pdf

A link to general rules, and combat rules (Although I doubt we'll be using the car chase rules unless you guys want to start pimping out horse carridges):
http://www.philipbrennan.net/downloads/uacombat_v2.pdf

A link to stress and madness rules:
http://www.philipbrennan.net/downloads/uastress_v2.pdf

Also, so we're all clear, and nobody skips over it (Like I did when I first read this), you get skill points for skills based on the primary stat of those skills. A character that starts with 40 Body will have 40 points to spend on body skills, and so on, as well as the 15 points you can spend in any category.
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

A human mechanic (Every good fortress has had the lever that unleashes the magma break...) who is rather small, but has a good knowledge-he visits libraries in his spare time.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile

A human mechanic (Every good fortress has had the lever that unleashes the magma break...) who is rather small, but has a good knowledge-he visits libraries in his spare time.
The field of engineering and mechanics is still probably a dwarf-dominated area, with farmlands and castles probably having less of an emphasis on elaborate magma death traps. Where did your character learn their craft from?
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

Just message me with a character concept, or post in the thread.

As for the Unknown Armies system, it's a Percentage based system, with a freeform skill list. Essentially, there are no set skills, apart from a few things which everyone has. It's a system meant for Modern Occult Horror, but I find it works well when running games set in Dwarf Fortress, because as well as an incredibly flexible skill list, it also provides a good system for madness, and offers fast, deadly combat.

A link to general rules, character generation and skills (Also includes some background information about the Unknown Armies setting, which you can skip):
http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ua2_preview.pdf

A link to general rules, and combat rules (Although I doubt we'll be using the car chase rules unless you guys want to start pimping out horse carridges):
http://www.philipbrennan.net/downloads/uacombat_v2.pdf

A link to stress and madness rules:
http://www.philipbrennan.net/downloads/uastress_v2.pdf

Also, so we're all clear, and nobody skips over it (Like I did when I first read this), you get skill points for skills based on the primary stat of those skills. A character that starts with 40 Body will have 40 points to spend on body skills, and so on, as well as the 15 points you can spend in any category.

Ohhh mannn, thats a lot of stuff, I think I may need to print this.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

Yeah, This way too complex for a forum game. This more of a very long running RP website thing, it needs devotion. Not many people are this devoted to finish the WHOLE DAMNED THING! Make the sgin-up sheet a whole lot simpler and you may find your self really getting people to play.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile

Yeah, Johnfalcon99977 has a point. If you could condence it down to just the vital character-creation rules, that would be really great.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

The field of engineering and mechanics is still probably a dwarf-dominated area, with farmlands and castles probably having less of an emphasis on elaborate magma death traps. Where did your character learn their craft from?
A magic flying pig I purchased some books on mechanics at a festival.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!