Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Im smelling DOOM!  (Read 722 times)

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Im smelling DOOM!
« on: November 26, 2010, 05:47:17 am »

Thats one of the few forts whose population didnt got slaugthered from skeletal mountain goats or magma(Okay,I killed them myself but they didnt deserve it better)

(Oh,and u see the trade depot with the merchants?I walled them in and wait eagerly until they eat themselves due of hunger)

Some facts:
Im using genesis mode
Im playing in a 2x2 area
I already dug out 35 adamantium ores(But I didnt use them so far,Im still waiting for a legendary smith)(Oh,and there are lots of ghouls roaming the cave where I dug it out)
Theres plenty of food and drink,so the dorfs wont die of thirst or hunger
Like u see in the picture,I have access to magma.
Wood is veeeeery scarce,infact,I dont have logs anymore
and the most important fact,30 dwarfes dont have a job.,What should I do with them,what job should I give them?

Pls help me,I dont want that that knifevessel crumbles to dust,not before we get overrun by an army of MEGA BEASTS

Oh,and ps:Does the fuckin game kidding me?I get a migration wave with a bunch of uber mega woodcutters and even a legendary one in an area with no trees???????????
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:55:24 am by lollius »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Im smelling DOOM!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 06:10:19 am »

Always fun thinking up uses for the army of idlers.

Under Genesis mod the combat/seige side of the game is slightly tougher than vanilla, therefore i'd say you want to up your defenses.

If your military is light on numbers then thats an obvious destination for your fail immigrants, if you are already somewhat happy with the military then consider a small project.

Perhaps a series of walls outside your fort, the idea being that invaders must follow a long snaking path to get in.  You either cover this path in traps, design something evil to drop on them, or just use it along with a tethered guard animal to give you more warning on ambushes.

As for actually getting the idlers working.  All my 'useless' immigrants get the following jobs: Masonry, Carpentry, Mechanics.  I then restrict through 'workshop profile' the appropriate workshops so that the hoard of dabblers cant build items there.  The upshot of this is that any walls/floors you build will go fast as your dwarves swarm the site, the mechanics is useful as it allows you to link levers to traps/bridges etc with an increased speed.  ( while 1 skilled mechanic links faster than 1 unskilled, 10 unskilled is faster than 1 skilled if there are 10 seperate jobs)

Another common job for idlers is stone detailing (smoothing not engraving, you want masters/legends to do that part).  smooth every square of exposed rock.  Be aware this increases created wealth and may trigger DOOM! :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:12:41 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:25:45 am »

dig for caverns >

dig out 2 z-level area

muddy bottom layer

wait for trees
i like goats

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 09:38:42 am »

Woodcutters to your military with Axes, done. :)
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 11:19:41 am »

It was to good to be true \\

Game crashed as I sent my squad into the caverns for some reason,ill never play df again *hides tear* lol

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 12:51:02 pm »

Savescum and continue.

Remove the treecutting job from the new axedwarves to reduce glitches.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."