Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

[Filler Poll] How many players do you think will survive?

1~3
- 5 (35.7%)
4~6
- 5 (35.7%)
7~9
- 4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: A good Samaritan in a time of chaos [On Turn 4/10]  (Read 17314 times)

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
Re: A good Samaritan in a time of chaos
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2010, 11:26:53 pm »

Joseph sits up, stretching as he groggily surveys the cafeteria. He notices the power is out and the multitude of depressed, exhausted people around him. He gets to his feet and begins moving about the survivors, asking if any of them happened to know why the power was out. When he asks a particularly neurotic looking fellow about the generators, the gentleman tells him of his exploits in the sub-basement and how he messed with the breakers. Joe notes this and then proceeds to a large, rather imposing looking gentleman with a shovel hanging on his belt. Joe informs the man-mountain that he is going to spend today restoring power to the hospital, as most of the hospital is nigh useless without power. Besides, nothing would restore hope more than a little return of modern conveniences. Before leaving, he checks with the other more heroic looking fellows and learns of the events of the past few days. Joe manages to convince the neurotic fellow to gather his cleaning supplies from the sub-basement and clean the mess on the fourth floor. He has a few ideas regarding how to raise the spirits of the people, as well as various implements of destruction he might be able to fashion. Before he embarks upon the day's tasks, he asks that anyone with any engineering and/or electronics experience come see him. While the news of his inquiry spreads, he tells the other heroes to begin deciding who should go on the chopper tonight. While making these rounds, he asks Desmond what he found in the cafeteria.

Free Actions:
Ask Desmond what's in the cafeteria.
Ask Jimi what's in the ICU
See if there's some sort of PA system. If there is, see if one of the speakers can be removed. If it can, pull it out and set one speaker aside. (Preferably do this on the second floor)

Day Action:
If more than one person steps up with knowledge of electronics or engineering, ask the one who has the most experience to accompany me to the sub-basement to get power restored. If only one stands up, bring him along. If none do, bring one person who seems useful anyway. Do not take the wounded fellow under any circumstances. When the night comes along, ensure that the second through fourth floors remain powered, as well as the sub-basement. Also, ensure that the elevator is powered no matter what.

Night Action:
Help fend off the horde.

Combat Behaviour:
    If alone: Run. Run to the nearest occupied area.
    If with one other person: If more than one zombie, see: If alone. If one zombie, doubleteam finisher is in order.
    If in a crowd: Follow the actions of the heroes. If no heroes and odds are good (zombies half as numerous as the group), attack. If the odds are any worse, flee.
Always attempt to keep noise to a minimum. Attract as little attention as possible.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:50:53 am by Kilowatt »

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trade? No, mister elf. I expect you to die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2010, 11:45:03 pm »

Congrats on a kick-ass first Turn Post :D On a completely different note, I have a few clarifications for you.

-For your Night Action, the third floor Pediatrics has already been searched. See Turn 2B for the list of locations you can still scout or search carefully. These zones have already been searched/explored. Also, Turn 0 had an overview of the floors in the hospital. Though really only the upper floors are unknown at this point. However if the searching is done for RP reasons, I will let you do it as a free action. Otherwise, searching carefully requires 1 AP and sleeping also requires 1 AP (cannot be performed concurrently).

-Similarly, since searching the cafeteria is considered RP at this point (Free action), I will definitely provide you with the cafeteria inventory. However, if you'd like to learn the contents before Turn 3 is posted (while staying in character) for either of these floors, you should ask Desmond (player: Dwarmin) or Roderick (player: tehstefan) as they did a search of it last turn.

-Hmm, I re-read my Team Post and I suppose I wasn't too explicit about this, but you (Joseph Lawson) are aware of a possible horde on Floor 5.

-3rd Floor is relatively clean. However, I have no trouble with you ordering the Janitor to clean up every searched floor (4th: ICU is one bloody slip and slide). The Janitor is in a good place mentally after talking to to Ottofar on Turn 2.

-Other relevant info:

Aside from shouting, he does not possess any reliable means to attract civilians currently in hiding.  Aside from tempting the zombies with his flesh, he cannot reliably hold zombies' attention for long. By using his bare hands, he can engage the zombies with extreme risk to his person.

Everything else (combat preferences, especially) is crystal clear  8)

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2010, 11:49:46 pm »

Is the fourth floor cleared?

Also, first post modified accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:51:22 pm by Kilowatt »

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2010, 11:57:07 pm »

The Fourth Floor was thoroughly searched by Jimi (player: Thatdude). Though a bunch of people explored the ICU briefly (Turn 1's team reports). Conceivably, your character will have talked to those characters and learned what they know. However, Jimi's search was much more revealing - since he was the only one who could get past the slick.

There's a mess on the floor (50% chance to fall, and then injuries apply) unless you have some type of anti-slip preparation.

Spoiler content is spoiler (non-RP compatible):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Modifications noted.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:59:03 pm by arcadia »

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2010, 12:01:46 am »

I'm all rested up, so I think I could go and try to explore the ventalation shaft, taking that flash light so its a free action.

However, those zombies need to be taken care of. I can go for a baton battle, but I need more than just me to kill all 8 zombies. If we got all the civilians that can fight to join in, with the rest of us low risk fighters, it might help.

As for combat preferences

If facing one zombie alone, or equal or lesser amounts in a group: attack
If outnumbered in any way shape or form: run, or if impossible use my gun.

Then lets attack that first group, all of us that can manage, at least.

Night action will probably be to tend to the zombie threat as well.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:12:25 am by tehstefan »
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2010, 12:11:15 am »

The Helipad lights will flush out all the Zs from the immediate N, S, E, W. They will arrive between the player DAY & NIGHT phase.

You know that there are 8 arriving from the park and 15 from the apartments. 0 from the supermarket. (??) from the gas station.

Technical Combat Mechanics
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: @ tehstefan: Night Action?  :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:16:37 am by arcadia »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:29 am »

Is it a free action to inspect the civilians, and see what sort of professions/people/equipment/mentality we have here?

Lozz whispers into her team mates ear, "Someone should do an inspiring speech, they look a little nervous."

The Zeds'll be turning soon anyway, so for both actions (day and night) Lozz will go with the group and kick some ass. Cos Marcus stole all the bubblegum.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2010, 10:37:15 am »

Okay, so I return to first floor, tell everyone what I saw, and sleep some phases.

"Guys, there's a goddamn horde of zombies in the sub-basement! New ones are rising all the time."

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2010, 11:47:39 am »

A number of you have elected to "defend against the hordes"

I'm going to run it as standing guard; where would you like to make the stand? Lobby I presume?

-Civilians count towards the 2:1 auto-kill ratio. I can also add the following if you'd like:

-Assist in combat if possible. Their attacks are treated as unarmed (extreme RISK). This addition would make them subject to INJURY rules as a consequence of combat.

-Yes, it's a Free action to examine the civilians further, but I'm letting you know now that the results only contribute to RP. (I'll make some stuff up; the game's been designed to allow for a lot more zombies & civilians and it would be too overwhelming for me to have their respective professions & equipment come into play.)
-Improving civilian mentality will result in + score via Humane Actions, however you'll have to think of something more concrete than giving an inspiring speech: None of you have the background for it and it'll take more than a few words to make them feel better.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:06:01 pm by arcadia »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2010, 12:57:51 pm »

Well, I was thinking some of them might have something useful, like an improv. weapon that's better than our's and such like. Anyway, I suggest holding them at the stairwells personally, it's a bottleneck, which'll give us a tactical advantage (If that is being implemented into this).

Can I talk with all the civilians, ask them how they are, console them, try and ascertain what they need, etc and be involved in the defence at the same time?

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2010, 02:45:45 pm »

Ah, I understand what you mean now. :) Re: Weapons, this bunch doesn't have any that would be better than what you have. Most civilians are considered bare-handed. However, I have written in (more than one) civilian who can potentially give you weapons to help you out. So far you haven't found any of them of course, but one of them has been hinted at.

I realized I made an error with the civilian count, stating that there were 12 of them. There are only 11 in the cafeteria, I accidentally included the teen still trapped in the Apartment Complex. It doesn't change the 2:1 ratio though, since it's still a maximum of 10 zombies that a full group can auto-kill at once. Though there will be 12 if Thatdude takes the free roll, and gets her out successfully.

I'll give you the info now rather than have you wait for the next turn. For everyone: I'm perfectly happy to provide you with answers from the civilians in between turns. You do learn the following from your conversations (additional RP text will come with the official turn):

For these civilians who recently arrived from the apartment it seems most of them were holed up in their bedrooms for days. They feel weak and hungry. Even the children and janitor you found in the hospital were starved; no one has had much in the way of food lately. You feel that they would really appreciate something delicious.

And yes, you can still participate in the defense! :D

Regarding stairwells & bottlenecks: I'll admit that I had originally thought of stairwells, the elevator, vents, and (?? currently unknown), etc as different access points. Depending on how the game goes, you may wish to abandon certain floors, and these things will provide alternate routes to the rest of the building.

Advanced barricades incorporate "gates" into their design (a sort of bottleneck I suppose!) though I had never quite figured out how to work in the tactical advantage in conjunction with the current (simplistic coin toss + d6 system). With the current system, whether you're facing many zombies or just one, if you engage in melee, you still are going up with club versus tooth & claw: zombies don't even get a roll!

Having said that, if you (the players) can think of a way to implement more tactical moves, I will be happy to run the numbers and see what we can do to make it work. If y'all find a combat-centric game more fun, then that's the direction we'll try to tilt the game towards. Until then, we'll make combat engagements take place in definitive zones (gas station, city park, lobby, specific floors, etc)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2010, 03:00:44 pm »

Maybe being in a tactically sound position gives you a bonus to your roll?

"Desmond! These guys look hungry, Do you mind whipping something up for them? I'll give you a hand where I can. I'll ask them whether they have any allergies, and whether they want something specific, given the circumstances."

Lozz now had a list in her mind. Meet all the civilians, talk to them, introduce herself, tell them of Desmond's culinery expertise and ask of anything food-wise that'll affect his ingredients list. Generally make them feel slightly more comfortable before they eventually get on the chopper outa here.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2010, 03:45:19 pm »

Well I think we have missed enough helicopters. We need to get these people to the roof and off the building. Tonight preferably. Also, yesterday a found a survivor who is stuck up a building. Is there any ideas about how to get her down. It needs to be today though. I don't think she will survive long out there. He looks in the direction of the apartment block very worriedly.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2010, 03:54:10 pm »

"Did you see any way I could climb up there? If we make some ropes out of bed linen she'd then be able to climb down. But, once we've dealt with the zeds coming from the apartments it'll be much safer for her."

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2010, 03:54:49 pm »

@Thatdude: Do you want to take the free-roll for the apartment gal - 33% chance she dies. 66% chance she lives.? Rope would work. So would a ladder. No safe way to free-climb. Phantom's scouting intel from the roof last round may also affect your decision.

I had thought about that during game design: however adding +1 to rolls would mean low-risk weapons would never result in injury.

Low Risk: 1 is failure, 2-6 is success.

+1 to rolls = always succeed; and melee weapons don't require ammunition. I'd have to add some sort of "surround" mechanism to combat/actual combat rounds. Currently, surrounding doesn't affect the rolls, though it has an effect outside of combat. You (all players) automatically avoid combat by fleeing to an adjacent zone at will. (If the adjacent room has an enemy. You'll make a roll once you get there. and then you get to flee again + repeat until you arrive at a room without enemies).

Summary: I'll keep thinking about it (more complicated mechanics are fine, so long as they don't bog down the player's understanding of what's going on). Feel free to suggest more ideas.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:59:22 pm by arcadia »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12