Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reclaim Scatter  (Read 2422 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Reclaim Scatter
« on: November 26, 2010, 02:52:12 am »

When reclaiming a fort there's massive scatter of items from the previous fortress, is there any way to avoid this, either by having every that's not constructed disappear or stay in place?

MASSIVE tantrum spiral killed my fort and the architecture took way too much work for me to give up. There will be possibly thousands of items scattered across the map that I will dread to reclaim.

Mainly looking for a mod solution, but a simple in-game will work too.

edit: Uh...there are corpses everywhere...so their items are lying the ground too...which will probably get scattered on reclaim.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:55:50 am by Acperience »

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaim Scatter
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 03:00:24 am »

Use an adventurer and find a lair, and then embark on it. Stuff inside the lair will not get scattered (Might apply to the entire lair map tile, but I'm not sure).
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 04:40:30 am »

There will be possibly thousands of items scattered across the map that I will dread to reclaim.
You probably know, but just in case: You can mass-reclaim items with
Code: [Select]
[d]esignate --> set [b]uilding/item properties --> re[c]laim items/buildings. The only time it takes is dwarven, plus a trivial amount times the number of Z levels in your fort. Of course, thousands and thousands of items could translate to many years of dwarf-time, depending how fast you get migrants and how much you care about devoting labor to it. If it makes you feel any better, the scattered items can be thought of as a bonus to starting a new fort with your old fort's architecture, since your reclaim band could have the necessary amenities with it to start a fort from scratch anyways.

I rationalized this time sink by imagining my dwarves going through the resettlement process. Eventually it'll look as if nothing happened but a change of the guard.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:42:30 am by Funburns »

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 04:46:51 am »

Want to stockpile it quickly?

Mass reclaim it as stated before, and then mod Dwarf's speed to 1.

Designate some stockpiles, and smile in glee as they fill them up with your junk.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:09:52 am »

The speed modding intrigues me. But I figured out a solution, more or less.

I loaded the save before I abandoned, and had every available dwarf dump everything that wasn't nailed down. (except for metal bars)

Atom smashed everything. The dwarves nearly died of thirst doing the hauling, but I never claimed to be a benevolent overseer.

On reclaim I have a fort with near pristine architecture, with only workshops, beds/tables/chairs, and constructs still standing (and the metal bars I didn't smash is scattered in places) I only have a mere 200~ bars of metal to reclaim now and some seeds that didn't get dumped. Clean and easy.

@funburns

I knew about the mass reclaim/dump thing, but for this job i went to my stocks screen and designated the bins and barrels containing the stuff to be dumped. This lessens the items needing to be hauled from several thousand to a few hundred. If you do the mass dump over a container, the dwarves will individually dump everything in the container =X. Using the stocks screen for mass reclaim is also easier since I don't even have to select an area, everything is conveniently listed..

I like keeping the items i created with my failed fort, but it usually takes me an entire year or 2 just to reclaim everything back into stockpiles. The main reason I reclaim is for the architecture anyways.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:12:46 am by Acperience »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 05:24:39 am »

Back in the earlier versions of DF2010 I brought an adventurer to a fort built above a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
that I had abandoned.  The surface and every level of my fort I had carved out were filled with wooden elf junk and other useless items that clogged my finished goods stockpiles.  Without exception every single quality piece of armor, weapons, jeweled flasks, and even prepared meals were all in the very bottom of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  The scattering of items then is not random at all.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 06:03:01 am »

For your consideration:

Scattering of items seems to be very closely tied to weight.  I've not done much testing on differant weighted items sitting outside bins, however I have tested (and confirmed) that lead and copper bins/barrels have a tendancy to move no more than 2-5 tiles on re-embark.  This vs dozens or even hundreds on a wooden bin
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 06:23:02 am »

I loaded the save before I abandoned, and had every available dwarf dump everything that wasn't nailed down.

You might wanna re-load that save and make a bunch of rock slabs before you abandon, otherwise it's gonna get spooky.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 02:13:57 pm »

I loaded the save before I abandoned, and had every available dwarf dump everything that wasn't nailed down.

You might wanna re-load that save and make a bunch of rock slabs before you abandon, otherwise it's gonna get spooky.
You say it like it's a bad thing.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 03:19:49 pm »

I think if you can get it all in bins, it will only scatter the bins and not the contents, been a while since I had that accident... but I think my adventurer found the bins with stuff in them still.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 04:11:07 pm »

Has anyone tried forbidding and walling in the stuff? I think in previous versions at least walling reduced the maximum scatter range.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 04:26:06 pm »

Tried walling them in the dump site, no good, things get scattered even though they technically shouldn't be accessible.

When in bins, the items stay with the bins. That is, they're not inside the bins, but rather all on on the same tile as the bins, they have to be hauled individually.

I made coffins instead and I think i got all the dead dwarves inside. Whats the difference between memorials slabs and coffins anyways? I haven't made any slabs in the new version. I would think the slabs let you not have to pick up the corpse.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 05:54:45 pm »

Exactly. Useful for the occasional miner in his lava bath.

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 06:44:32 pm »

I think if you can get it all in bins, it will only scatter the bins and not the contents, been a while since I had that accident... but I think my adventurer found the bins with stuff in them still.
nope. Unless you're using heavy bins made of metal that doesn't work, the stuff gets scattered everywhere.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 02:36:43 am »

Well, I know I had bins scattered around in 31.14 or .16, and they were full of stuff.

Poor baby muthkat...
Pages: [1] 2