Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony  (Read 16043 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2010, 08:40:42 am »

Yeah your mood has me confused.  My screenshot says 'withdraws from society', I always thought that gave experience.  But your are still below legend.  Somewhere round the professional point just now.  All the wounds just now are minor, but poor Morul is definatly nerveshot, no movement from her
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2010, 11:54:07 am »

MAybe the mod you used screwed them up because I know secretive moods lead to legendariness.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2010, 12:27:59 pm »

I am absolutely loving this story so far! Your writing style is engaging and colourful, and just wonderful to read.

If I may, I'd like to request a somewhat peculiar dwarf.

Name: Elth
Profession: Clothier/Weaver
Personality (in-story, not in-game): Sthpeakths with a listhpth. Gets mad when you tell him his name sounds like a lispy 'elf'. Is horribly arrogant and snooty, but diligent and focused on his work. He claims he was an exiled noble, but in truth he was just a holier-than-thou asshole who angered the wrong people. He also has a vested interest in cave spider silk, and will put a lot of pressure into getting the caves opened.

Hopefully he'll provide a bit of story inspiration!

EDIT: Oh, and do you mind us making up some of our own narrative relating to our dwarves or would you rather keep control over it to prevent conflicts?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:59:40 pm by ElthMysterius »
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2010, 07:43:33 pm »

Impressively written, I'd like to request a dorfing.  A woodcutter/axedwarf if possible.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 19, 2010, 04:40:33 am »

more updates to follow tonight, people been very patient:)
Hopefully get some migrants in

I think I probably lost Zrk2's original mood, the secretive one i got screenshots of.  The point in the story we are at now caused me some grief while playing, several crashes caused me to reload a few times and i guess i rolled back and he went possessed or something.

Also.  The version of genesis I use has a slight bug (that i knew about).  Mainly the immunity to heat/cold that the obsidian/ice dwarves should get is in fact applied to all dwarves, explains why everyone was so happy to stroll about in yr 1 with their clothing onfire.  Havent yet decided whether to patch in Deon's recent fix, depends on compatability.

I also realised this morning that im bored of waiting for Morul to recover (which she wont) so im gonna do a little modding to give nerves the ability to heal.  I'll leave it slow enough that nervous damage still puts them out for a year or two but not so that they just occupy a bed till the end of the world.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2010, 10:07:29 pm »

Just open the raws, take out any one body part, then save the raws. Open DF, load the fort, unpause. Save. Return part to raws. Go back to playing.

It works fine (in 40d), I have used it several times to heal mangled stuff/spinal injuries in important dorfs. Also, it doesn't matter which part, all parts on all dorfs are healed.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2010, 06:38:41 am »

Disappeared for a bit, but I'm glad I could come back to this. Fuckin' hate Nightwings. >__>
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2010, 06:13:50 pm »

Sweet! I've been sig'd!

Sorry, just noticed, had to say that.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2010, 07:04:33 pm »

I think that's actually the second time you commented on it. I could be wrong though.  ;)
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2011, 06:05:34 am »

Im Back!

Been a hectic holiday season, was up in the artic circle tryin to lay down some new tricks in the half-pipe.  You are not forgotten and i'll be writing again today or tommorow.

Re: Elth's question

Im all for you guys spinning any kind of backstory and character development you like.  I'll use what I can where I can, itll probably help flesh out characters that im otherwise glossing over somewhat.  Since my writing stalled these last few weeks the next couple of updates are likely to be more fort oriented to get the narrative up to the save game so i can start playing again.  Once I catch up i'll do a 'state-of-the-colony' style thing and provide new additions with their v,z screens.

Marksdwarf Pillboxes

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2011, 09:10:32 am »

Hey! Glad to have you back! And glad this wonderful story isn't going to fade into obscurity!

If there are any additional details I could provide, ask and I'll write something up. I'd be happy to contribute any way I can!
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2011, 03:46:23 pm »

I call being the Baldrick!

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2011, 11:49:13 pm »

Woo! Can't wait for more.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2011, 04:26:30 am »

I am absolutely loving this story so far! Your writing style is engaging and colourful, and just wonderful to read.

If I may, I'd like to request a somewhat peculiar dwarf.

Name: Elth
Profession: Clothier/Weaver
Personality (in-story, not in-game): Sthpeakths with a listhpth. Gets mad when you tell him his name sounds like a lispy 'elf'. Is horribly arrogant and snooty, but diligent and focused on his work. He claims he was an exiled noble, but in truth he was just a holier-than-thou asshole who angered the wrong people. He also has a vested interest in cave spider silk, and will put a lot of pressure into getting the caves opened.

Hopefully he'll provide a bit of story inspiration!

EDIT: Oh, and do you mind us making up some of our own narrative relating to our dwarves or would you rather keep control over it to prevent conflicts?

This guy comes into my workplace once a month to buy cigarettes.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »

Oh. My. God.

My dorf did something important for the fortress.

I thought I would just be another dorf in the crowd. Thanks for including my dwarf in a great ongoing saga!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12