Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony  (Read 16039 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 07:38:29 pm »

"Well, if it isnt starting to look like civilized creatures lived here", thought Rith as he surveyed the results of operation 'Moving Along'.  The still was, as he had expected, an almost laughable construction.  Bearing a passing resemblance to an actual still was probably coincidence more than design and the pig-tail sock tied round the top of what he supposed was the pressure chamber gave the entire thing a comical air.  Despite this the contraption appeared to be working and MetalMilitia was currently bent over it, trying to stem a leak with his other sock.  The dwarf had promised an output by tonight and the thought of alcohol after a long season in the wastes was heaven to the parched band.

The butchers 'shop' was also complete and between Rith and Kol the rotten corpses had been stripped of bones.  No new gargoyles had appeared however and the last of the plants were currently bubbling way in the still.....just a few leeches left.  The food situation was not looking so great, the land held a fair amount of animal-life but the damn things were too fast for the running dwarves and Kol wasnt a good enough shot with a fireball to catch a fleeing target.  Hopefully the pair of crossbows and stack of bolts that Morul was creating from gargoyle bone would ease the situation, though they still needed to score at least 1 kill to get leather for a quiver.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Ok Knarfle, get over here", he called.
As the dwarf trotted up Rith began drawing a large rectangle in the dirt with his foot. 
"Yeah Rith?"
"Shelter", said Rith.  "Walls here, here, here.  Make a door for here.  Little ladder thing up the outside so we can get on top and roof it too, dont want gargoyles hopping into bed with me in the night."
Knarfle grinned.  "Beds then?, Table, Chair?"
Rith nodded.  "One bed, one table, one chair, one door, walls, roof.  Manage all that?"
Knarfle surveyed the logs piled behind him.
"Yeah I think so, oughta have some eight logs spare too."
Rith nodded and gestured, and their new carpenter scurried to work.

As the day wore on the little building began to take shape as Knarfle built away, once the walls were up he began working on the furniture which Mosus heaved into position.  As afternoon gave way to evening the door was emplaced and the little....hut was the only word really, was finished.
Rith ran his hand across the doorframe and nodded.
"We can sleep and eat in shifts, it'll do for now."

A sudden shout caused Rith to spin about.  In the failing light he could just make out Morul and Mosus to the south, they were waving their arms trying to catch his attention it seemed.  He set off into a brisk jog, arriving a few minutes later to find the two dwarves staring across the river the the east.  Turning to follow their gaze Rith spotted a large herd of camels browsing happily on the far bank.

"We gotta get across there Rith", said Morul.  "We picked all the plants and cut all the trees on our side, we need access to the east bank.  And now theres game there too."
"A bridge?" asked Rith, "I dunno if we got enough wood left.  We could get more once we're across sure enough, we just gotta hope whats left will do the job I guess".
"Gonna need to sooner or later anyway", said Morul, "From what I remember of the world map in Urvad's throne room the humans will come from there and we want their caravans too right?".
Rith nodded silently.  Damn right he wanted the human caravan, elves would bring wood which was fine, but humans brought metals, weapons and armor which was better.
"I guess yer right", he said aloud, "I'll take a look tomorrow and sketch something out, Knarfle can start on it then."
"Camels will be gone by then though Rith" replied Morul.
"Look at those bastards...bet they run like the fuckin wind.  Forget the camels.  But yer right, the east bank will give us more wood and plants, access to the humans and if something slow turns up we'll have that too."

The three dwarves turned to head back to the camp and noticed simultaneously the pillar of smoke rising from just north of the site.
"Shit......run."

As the trio pounded their way towards the smoke Rith ran through the possibilities in his head.  Smoke meant Kol of course, but this wasnt the trail left by a flying fireball....this was the cloud raised by something fully alight, and there was precious little here left to burn.  Just a couple of the tough ironwood trees that Rith had never quite conquered with his shoddy axe.  That left his own guys or something mean, eitherway it was serious.

As they drew level with the camp Rith gave a holler and the dwarves working there looked up intime to see him and Morul flash past.  As their gazes followed the running dwarves and spotted the smoke they too dropped their tasks and began to run with Mosus lumbering through the camp moments later in their wake.

As they neared the roiling smoke Rith wondered what it might hold, something was burning in there though and he was gonna find out what.  He barreled into the cloud and called out to Kol, spluttering as thick smoke crept into his lungs.
"Kol!"
A shape flitted through the twisting wreaths of smoke and the little obsidian dwarf ran smack into Rith.  His beard was smouldering, as was his hair and his moustache was completely gone.  More concerning however was the merry blaze that had been the obsidian dwarf's clothing.  His robe was entirely ablaze and the flames were licking along his sleeve.  There was no pain in Kol's eyes however.  "Must be something in his heritage," thought Rith.  He was about to ask what the hell was going on when he noticed a warmth in his midsection.  The front of his robe was also aflame from where Kol the dwarven torch had collided with him.  Swearing violently Rith began beating at the fire with his hands but only succeeded in setting light to his gloves.  As the heat began to cause him pain he heard the others blundering into the smoke behind him, moments later both he and Kol were knocked flat as the rest of the band cannoned into them from behind.

By the time the dwarves had extracated themselves from the tangle of limbs there was not one of them not on fire.  As Rith swore and danced and tried to remove his burning robe all at once there was movement to his right and a shape flew out of the smoke at one of the dwarves.  Unable to see clearly in the rolling cloud rising from their clothing he fumbled about until his hand brushed warm fur.  He latched on and found his hands around some critter's leg.  With the pain from his burning attire threatening to overwhelm him he made a last ditch attempt at combat and with a mighty roar broke the furry limb between his hands.  Then blackness.

Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 08:14:55 pm »

Rith came to as a gentle rain spattered his face.  It was almost painful, he raised his hands to his cheeks and winced as his calloused fingers brushed burned flesh.  He sat up, his head spinning.

As he glanced about he saw that no more than a few minutes could have passed, the rain seemed to have saved him and the others as it extinguished the fires in the facial hair and the tattered remnants of their clothing.  The cloud of smoke had dispersed and he could now see that their attacker, and Kol's initial target, had been a gigantic leopard.  The creature's mangled corpse lay a few yards away where the burning dwarves had subdued it.  His crew lay about him, all as scorched as he though judging by the groans and curses eminating from them they would live.  Kol himself was still out-cold, the rain steaming as it struck his exposed skin, the little guy was completely naked, his clothing consumed by the fire that had started all this.

Rith staggered unsteadily to his feet and watched as the other three did the same.  Grue knelt and slapped Kol lightly across the face causing him to open his eyes with a start.  MetalMilitia was heaving the leopard carcass onto his back.  Perfect, they had leather for a quiver now, meat and more bone.
Wait a minute......three?
Where was Morul?, Rith had seen the leopard hit someone and none here were marked, had he been injured?  For that matter where was Mosus?
Rith peered dazedly toward the camp where he could just make out the silhouette of the little shelter Knarfle had so recently built, an ominous flickering showed beneath the closed door.

Scratching his head Rith turned to the others, they seemed equally confused, though whether this was from the after effects of the inferno or genuine puzzlement was unclear.  He swung his head back toward the camp as he tried to clear his foggy thoughts.

Lights in the shelter, said Rith's eyes.  Thats fire, added his brain after a moment.
"Fire!" he yelled and staggered to his feet, weaving his way towards their base.

As he stumbled up to the door and wrenched it open a blast of heat rolled over him and a tongue of flame licked at his face removing the last of his beard.  Mosus was huddled against the back wall, a terrified expression on his face, Morul lay unconscious on the only bed, his clothing still smouldering balefully.  The bed itself was on fire and the flames had jumped across to their table and chair as well.
"Fuck!", yelled Rith.  He couldnt come up with anything more elaborate right now.
He seized Morul by the leg and hauled him out into the rain, then returned to the blazing building to kick aside the chair and create a path for Mosus, who needed no prompting and came barreling through.
Slamming the door on the roaring flames Rith fell back into a heap as his brain tried to work out what the hell was going down here.

It took several hours before they got the story straight, the lot of them were in shock and Mosus wasnt easy to coax information from but they eventually figured it out.
The big guy had arrived late as usual to the fight and had found the leopard dead and the dwarves burning.  He had spotted that Morul was in bad shape, the big cat had broken his knee and carved a chunk of flesh from his torso.  Panicking he had seized the wounded dwarf and hauled him off to a bed to rest, as all dwarves were taught.  Unfortunatly he had not thought that the injured dwarf was on fire and everything they owned was made of wood.
And well they knew the rest.

Dawn's first light revealed the total of the destruction.  The bed, table, chair and door were gone though by some miracle parts of the wooden walls and roof of the structure had escaped the flames.  The sad charred haft of their only axe was also discovered amongst the ashes, it must have slipped from Rith's belt during the struggle to save Morul.  In addition someone at somepoint must have wandered through the foodpile because 3 barrels of berries and wheat had burned too.  Thanks the gods they didnt have any booze yet!

On the upside it looked like Morul would recover though the poor guy would likely be bedridden for several months.

"Its a pretty fucking small upside." said Rith as he finished summarizing the situation to the huddled dwarves in the dawns wan light.  "But anyway, whats done is done.  Knarfle, you gonna have to wait to replace our furniture, you can make a new axe but the rest of the wood will build a bridge to the east bank.  More trees over there.  Once we got more wood then new furniture and patch the holes"
The other dwarves looked at each other for a few moments before Grue nervously spoke up.
"And the rest of us?"
"Shit I dunno, just try not to set light to anything till I have time to think!"

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:29:26 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 08:21:21 pm »

Phew, just finished a 3 hour marathon writing spree, hope you enjoy it.

A few authors notes: I twisted this part quite a bit for story reasons....and because i trully dont know what the hell went down here.

Next update will span more time than previous ones, most major early events are written up and migrants will be up soon
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:24:29 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 08:25:43 pm »

That's some fantastic yarn spinnin' you got going on there -- lots of fun to read!

Dwarf me please, an immigrant farmer/cook

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 08:31:37 pm »

Jesus christ, it's not even Autumn yet and we've got shit going on everywhere.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2010, 08:33:44 pm »

hehe yeah its been a riot so far.  i always suspected it would be but ive never played with deons obsidian guys before and theyre proving to be a barrel of fun
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2010, 09:01:57 pm »

Woah, what?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 07:20:00 am »

Wow celem, I'm really enjoying the updates so far!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 02:07:29 pm »

Fucking christ, this is amazing! Not only do I love the idea (I'm not nearly confident enough to go in without supplies at all) but celem's writing is engaging as a motherfucker. I'd be a sucker not to get in on this!

Assuming you make/made it to your migrants (not that I don't have confidence in you, but holy shit man) I'll willingly take whatever you give me. Feel free to shorten up my name as needed.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 04:29:44 pm »

Holy Jesus Harry Christ, this looks incredibly Fun. Can I be dwarfed?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 10:42:50 pm »

Only two seasons in, and the whole damn camp already burned down. This just keeps getting better. :D
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 09:03:23 am »

Indeed.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 02:06:12 pm »

This is great. Can I be dorfed? Possibly as a smith.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 03:00:51 pm »

Great read, celem.

I find that obsidian isn't near as much a threat when your furniture is stone, I also haven't had one burn up the food or booze either... I do use DFweather to but the forest fires out though.

Edit: Oh, may I request a dwarf? Any profession is fine with me.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 03:09:42 pm »

They don't have any stone. Also, dwarf me as anyone.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12