Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony  (Read 16038 times)

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 09:22:35 pm »

It says community in the title.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 09:26:47 pm »

I approve.
I approve a lot.
:D

DwarfyDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Of course it's not safe! What are you, an ELF?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 02:13:05 am »

I would like a dwarf, please.
make him something dwarfy, like a miner or mason.
Small elves in your beard. The STD of the Dwarven world.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 03:44:16 am »

This is gonna be awesome. I'll take a Dorf, please. So, are you planning on looting caravans for supplies, or what? Doesn't seem to be much to do until you get some tools.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 04:05:50 am »

Well actually, you can do quite a bit without anything. I'm not sure how much celem knows about how to go about actually being able to establish a good fort without starting with anything and without relying on caravans, so I'll just watch and wait.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:58:33 am by OmnipotentGrue »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 06:53:14 am »

Note from author
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some dwarf descriptions, there are a few spoilers in the recent thoughts of some since these shots are taken in autumn while the story is still in spring.  Actual profession titles may not yet be what was requested due to necessity.

Grue:

Knarfle:

MetalMilitia:

Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 06:59:20 am »

A moss dwarf, eh? At least I have a slightly slimmer chance of dieing.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 07:51:20 am »

The days passed by in dizzying succession, each seemingly more tedious than the last.

"Its only been a week", thought Rith as he peered hopefully at his little garden.  Was that the faintest tinge of green there?  He knelt and brushed aside a few crumbs of soil.....Yes!  A little shoot, might be one of those berries, could be the wheat, might even be grapes, no way to know yet.  But things were moving, it was all progress.

He straightened with a groan and wiped a grimy hand across his brow leaving a slick brown trail in the sweat.  Farming was a damn sight harder than he would ever have guessed, made doubly so by the need to constantly scour the surrounding countryside for seeds.  Countryside....hah!  His subconcious was being too kind there, this was the arse-end of the world surely.

The small band had settled into their new life without major complaint, after the first few days of hunger they had succeeded in gathering enough food to form a sizeable heap by the cart, which Rith was planting up as fast as they ate it.  Yet...this was subsistence and nothing more, it was surely time for them to begin to settle more permenantly.  Rith knew this was so, and yet was uncertain how to go about establishing a more secure foothold.  It had been summed up during a discussion round a small fire in the evening of the first eventful day;  "We need to build stuff, workshops, a shelter, beds and so on"  "But we need an axe to cut wood"  "We dont have metal for an axe"  "You can make axes out of wood I hear"  "But we dont HAVE any wood".

These thoughts had chased each other round and round in Rith's head for the last five or six days now and he was beginning to dispair.  He sighed deeply and stomped off to crawl under the wrecked cart, as was his wont when troubled (or the sun was high).  Lying there in the cool shade he tried to think clearly, idling picking at a splinter on the boards above his head.

Hang on.......the fucking WAGON was wooden, and it sure wasnt any use to them now.  Rith slapped a hand to his forehead, adding an interesting palm motif in the ingrained dirt on his face. 

So.....scrap the cart, might get a few usable logs out of it.  Then what?  He tried to marshall his scattered thoughts despite the furnace heat.  Wood, wood was the key, use the wood to get wood.  A carpenters workshop then, knock it up from a few boards, use another to fashion some kind of axe.  It wouldnt be much use against the gargoyles but it ought to handle the saguaro cactii at least.  Then more wood, for wooden things, more axes, more wood, maybe they would even find enough to build a little shelter.  Four walls and a roof would go down a treat with the lads, a bed perhaps, table and chair.  Yes, this was beginning to sound like a plan.  There was precious little wood on the rocky plain but what was there, would be theirs.

He clambered back out from his refuge and scanned about, looking for someone to help him tear apart the wreckage of the wagon.  Grue was as always over by the river, dangling a line hopefully into the murky depths.  The initial hope had been for shining silvery fish, yet even the leeches that had proved to be the river's residents had provided a welcome expansion to their meagre diet.  The rest of the crew had taken to calling Grue 'Gator-bait', there had not yet been any sign of alligators, but if they showed, it would be Grue that found em first.  To the north Knarfle, MetalMilitia and Morul could be seen on the usual hunt for wildplants, in the west and south Mosus and Kol were doing likewise.

Rith cupped his hands to his mouth and prepared to let loose a holler when an almighty racket brought his attention back east to the bank of the river where Grue was now sprinting flat out towards their little camp.  Shading his eyes against the rising sun Rith could just make out a shape in the heat haze pursuing Grue.  As the two figures approached he let out a soft chuckle despite himself......an alligator, of course.

He stuck his fingers in his mouth and gave a piercing whistle, in the distance the other dwarves began running back towards him.  Grue was still making a beeline for the camp, they had discussed this at length some days ago and had agreed that anyone in trouble would bring said trouble back to the camp for everyone to play with.

He glanced to his left in an attempt to guage the distance to Knarfle, who was at the head of the pack approaching from the north.  As he did so the little running figures veered sharply east, diagonally away from the camp.
"What the...", thought Rith.
Another moment brought him the answer, 4 uncomfortably familiar shapes were bounding in from the west heading for the little pack of running dwarves.
"BLOODY GARGOYLES!", roared Rith in frustration, this was rapidly descending into chaos.

As he hesitated a moment the various actors all drew closer.  He judged the angles of the various dwarves' approach and realised that everyone was going to meet some 40 urists north of the camp.  With a soft curse he broke into a run, a glance over his shoulder confirmed his fears.  Mosus wasnt going to catch up in time, they would have to handle this one without the lumbering giant's brawn.

As he had expected the running packs of dwarves met beside a cluster of boulders and he pounded his way up to them breathing heavily.  Kol was grinning and poking 'Gator-bait' as the latter's namesake circled at a wary distance.
At Rith's approach however he turned and his face became more serious.
"We got four more of them gargoyle things Rith.  Smaller than the first.....but four of 'em.  There looked to be another three further west but I dont think they seen us."
Grue added "And ofcourse the gator, I may have accidentaly caught something he was planning on eating, and now he wants to eat me.."

"Well, we make our stand here", said Rith wearily.  "Im not overly concerned about the gargoyles individually, they oughta be weaker than that big bastard, but as a group they might be rough, try and split em up.  And watch that damn gator, those things have teeth like razors but they're slow, with any luck we can handle the gargoyles before it catches up with 'ole 'Gator-bait' here."
There were the usual grim nods from the assembled dwarves and as one they turned west, to face the rapidly approaching pack of gargoyles.  To their south Mosus had just passed the camp but was clearly tiring, his pace was slowing and his arms were starting to flail somewhat.  There was no time, just no time.

The gargoyles let out a cacophany of howls and wails as they came closer.  Rith braced himself for the combat to come and waited for them to come into charging range.

"YAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!", it was hardly the most original warcry but his blood was up and thought had departed once more.  The six dwarves barreled into the approaching beasts and an all-out ruck began.
Rith lost track of his first opponent swiftly, the dust and dirt kicked up by the dwarves and beasts was rising as an opaque cloud and he found himself attacking whatever passed closest to him.  The crackle and whoosh of flame told him that Kol was flinging fire again and acrid smoke boiled around the melee.

At length the gargoyles were defeated, the dwarves stood in a little circle panting hard as Mosus finally came trotting up, his face red with exertion.  "Sorry....run...far", he managed.
Rith gave a sudden start.......the 'gator, he'd clean forgotten about it in the ruckus.  He swiftly spun about and scanned for it but could not see it.  It had to be between them and the river, so where was it?

A chuckle from Grue made him look round again.  The dwarf was pointing off to the northwest.  Rith followed his gesture and spotted the reptile at last.  Finally some luck!  The huge alligator was embroiled in a fight with the other three gargoyles Kol had mentioned.  Rith debated moving the group back to the camp but realised that whichever side won that fight would be calling on them almost immediately.  He hunkered down in the dirt instead and tried to get his breath back, the others following suit.

Presently the fight was decided.  A gargoyle sank its teeth into the alligators midsection and with an almighty shake tore the creature in two though not before it had accounted for one of the winged monstrosities.
"Round two lads", muttered Rith and rose to his feet.  Indeed the remaining two gargoyles were already heading their way.

The fight was much as the first had been.  Namely a confusion of dust, smoke and flame, but a few moments later the dwarves were once more standing atop a pile of corpses.  The extra muscle of Mosus combined with the 'gator's assistance had made this an easier engagement.

Rith wiped a hand across his brow for the second time that day and started down at the corpses. 
"I wonder if you can eat gargoyles?", he mused.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:57:04 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 07:54:37 am »

I laughed so hard when you suggested Alligator-bait as a nickname.  Having already played the year through I knew you were gonna get chased by one in the first week

Also, in the last screenshot in that update you can just make out a smoketrail from a fireball that missed the gargoyles.  I have a feeling Kol will cause some carnage before long, probably amongst the dwarves
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:58:30 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 08:15:10 am »

God, this is so awesome.

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 04:53:58 pm »

My dwarf's downfall is being anti-social, hah. Admires turkeys for their WHAT? Snood?!?
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 05:37:54 pm »

Have been away from the computer for a few days so so sorry about not posting.

Hahaha, ice dwarf XD Oh well, Also feel free to rename her anything you want thats more realistic.

I feel like writing a Journel for her, I can tell the passion you put into the writing and it makes me want to type something up as well!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 07:36:14 pm »

Oh! I can't wait for my dwarf to arrive! This is great!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 06:08:32 pm »

Chips of bark flew as Rith hammered at the stubborn wood.  Sweat poured down his neck and soaked into his shirt as he worked under the unforgiving sun, his blows settling into a steady rhythm.  The wood was resilient, many of the scraggly trees dotting the plain had turned out to be ironwood and the feeble wooden axe he wielded struggled to make headway.  Only sheer brute force prevailed, Rith was swinging what amounted to a club with a vague edge but he often remembered with a wry grin how Knarfle had proudly presented him with the misshapen tool.  A rough and ready workbench had been assembled from the bed of the wagon and the tall stone dwarf had spent two days fashioning an axe from fragments of the broken wheel using a knapped stone.  The tapered haft gave lie to its origin as a spoke and Rith appreciated the duality.  The wood that had brought them to this accursed place was taking them further still.

At length the doughty trunk gave a splintering noise as the dull blade struck it and Rith gave it a solid whack with his boot.  The tree groaned and swayed, then seemed to make up its mind and surrendered to gravity with a crash.  Rith shouldered the axe and rolled his narrow shoulders to relieve the aching muscles.  He wished daily that he could have got Knarfle to cut the trees for them as his strength exceeded Rith's, but the lanky moss dwarf knew that the practice gained crafting the axe would give Knarfle the edge when it came to future carpentry efforts.  Since they had started felling the dwarf had created several further makeshift tools from the loose desert rock and was spending much of his time making barrels to protect their meagre food supply from the ubiquitous rhino lizards.

The thump of footfalls caused Rith to glance around, Mosus was approaching.  The big dwarf gave Rith a grin and bent to scoop up the fallen trunk, tossing the weighty log onto his shoulder with barely a grunt.  Another sheepish grin and Mosus began heading back to the camp from which came the sound of hammering.

Rith rubbed a hand through his roughly braided beard and did a few quick sums in his head.  That was 17 trees he'd felled now, minus maybe 10 that Knarfle had made barrels from.  He'd considered asking for a second axe to spread the workload, some of the dwarves were sitting idle for periods of the day but there were few enough trees left and their wood was precious with no access to proper stone. 

Besides, the work was doing him good, he'd always secretly wanted to learn some kind of trade but the rules back in the mountainhome had been strict.  The only profession permitted was that of your father and Rith's father had been a Lye Maker.  Yeah.....like that was gonna happen.  With no other option he had done what so many of the youngsters of The Narrow Works did, he joined a gang.  Whilst life had been rough he had made solid friends and the death of the gang's old leader at the hands of queen Urvad's Hammerer had boosted him unexpectedly to the front of their little family.  From then life had been good, they talked smooth and applied blunt force where words failed them, nothing too heavy, some protection rackets, a little blackmail when the opportunity arose and what did they get pinched for?  Posession of fake fucking Guild emblems....

Rith gave a sigh and aimed a half-conscious curse at the distant queen as his thoughts returned to his present situation.  It was time for the next stage in the little forts development he was sure but he wasnt entirely sure what it should be.  It amused him slightly that he thought of it as a fort, a pile of food barrels, a heap of rotting gargoyles and Knarfles little carpentry bench........

Well.  That was his answer then wasnt it.  Build and keep building, establish their new home and survive despite that bitch on her adamantine throne.  Well, at least 'the bitch' had said they would be treated like any colony, and colonies recieved caravans.  He had watched from the alleys as countless liaisons and merchants had left the mountainhome down the years, hitting such a tempting target was beyond the scope of the street gangs and suicidal to boot.  Now they would come to him.  He gave a wicked little smile at the thought as he headed off toward the camp at a slow amble.

Shit......liaisons.
If he rolled the caravan he'd have to dispose of the bloody diplomat, and he had no wish to meet Lorbam again so soon.  The queen's general had a legendary reputation amongst the populace and Rith had no doubts that the ancient steel dwarf would barely break a sweat should it come to blows.  Hells he could handle them all at once, Rith had spent long hours as a child reading the great general's exploits which were engraved into the golden walls of the main dining hall of his home, the guy had dropped 4 forgotten beasts down the years, not to mention several dozen goblins.

No, if/when the dwarven caravan arrived Rith was gonna have to play nice which meant giving value to get value.  They needed to create value, and as soon as possible.  By Rith's reckoning the summer must be upon them and caravans departed the great halls of his fathers in late summer.

As Rith strode into the camp and began bellowing orders he was pleased to see the lounging dwarves leap to their feet.  MetalMilitia was off scouring for plants, alone in this task since they had picked the plain pretty much clear in their first month, Grue was off at the river, no doubt peering over his shoulder every 2 minutes to check for alligators sneaking up on him.  Knarfle stood from his workbench and came over to join the others as Rith outlined his new plans.

As Rith spoke a little thought crept into the back of his mind.

Others races have merchants too right?  And no-one says we gotta play fair with them.  Ahhh, despite the constant heat and total lack of booze, he was starting to enjoy himself...

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:11:20 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 06:45:26 pm »

The camp was a hive of activity, if seven moving creatures can be called a hive.  MetalMilitia was back from his latest, and fruitless, sweep of the plain for plants.  They had picked every plant within viable range of their new home now, at least those on their bank of the river.  Rith had also finished clear-cutting and every tree in sight had been felled and dragged back.  Now they were commencing what Rith had called 'Moving along'.

"This calls for more food.", said Rith.  "The plants here wont support us long, and our own will take time to grow.  If this werent enough we also need them to make booze.  I say we eat gargoyle."

At this the dwarves turned as one to look at the festering piles of crap that had been the gargoyles.
Rith coughed. "The next gargoyles guys.  That means another workbench type thing for butchery.  And of course booze means a still."
There was general applause at this, a pure plant and water diet was growing exceptionaly boring and Rith had broken up several scuffles between dangerously sober dwarves already.
"We're also gonna need something to trade with the caravan from home, these ugly bastards have bones so it'll be whatever we can carve from them, at least the rotten ones will be useful there."
"Oh and to make sure we always have enough bones I want you guy to kill on sight."
A hand raised tentitively from Mosus.  "What we killin boss?", asked the burly dwarf.
"Everything thats not us buddy." explained Rith patiently, "You whack it, you drag it back here.  MetalMilitia, yer on still-making and eventually brewing.  Grue, keep fishing, we need food that aint brewable till we start getting meat.  Knarfle, I need you building us some places to work, we need the butchers bench, somewhere to work bone into crafts and I want a somewhere to make crossbows too.  They oughta help us with the hunting hugely.  Kol, Morul and Mosus are with me.  We do a bit of everything, pick any wild plants we see, tend our little fields, scout for animals and generaly drag shit around.  You all got it?."
There was a chorus of assent and the dwarves scattered to their tasks.

As Rith headed north out of the camp with Kol, Morul and Mosus each taking other compass directions in their search for food, both plant and animal, Rith glanced across to the woodpile where MetalMilitia was staring folornly at a lump of wood and Knarfle's little collection of stone tools.  Rith surpressed a chuckle, the gods alone knew how the poor guy might fashion a still from wood, but as with their axe Rith was sure something vaguely servicable would eventually emerge.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12