Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Currency name?  (Read 12116 times)

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Currency name?
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2010, 04:29:19 pm »

That's a pretty obscure reference.
I daresay most people who would understand my criticism would catch a Cicero reference.

How the carp did you do that?
He Who Waits Behind the Walls blesses his chosen with curses unknown.
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2010, 11:54:46 pm »

*twitch*

I admire the Latin, but please pluralise with an "a": cupra, argenta, aura. For my overly pedantic sake.

I suspect that dwarves have about as much respect for the laws of grammar as they do the laws of physics. That it's somebody else's language would make it even less of a concern.

Quousque tandem abutere, Ubiq, patientia nostra?

I cannot see how this would apply to me. My effontery is quite bridled, I assure you, nor am I mad.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2010, 08:19:08 am »

I call them Quid tbh plural and singular,

Beat me to it. I also call the currency "caps".
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2010, 08:25:31 am »

Seeing as I have never talked about currency on the Forums, just to my mate who also plays DF, that might be a bit hard :p

Quid's the best anyway, and fyi it's a slang word for Pound, which is the British Currency, not just a random thing.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2010, 08:30:57 am »

Seeing as I have never talked about currency on the Forums, just to my mate who also plays DF, that might be a bit hard :p

Quid's the best anyway, and fyi it's a slang word for Pound, which is the British Currency, not just a random thing.

Everyone knows that, don't they? I suppose I'm probably a bit biased, but I figured even Americans knew about Quid?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2010, 09:28:03 am »

Yep. Gordan Ramsay taught me the word.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2010, 10:08:07 am »

I usally don't use a name for the currency, like 'thats worth 5 and thats worth 20'.

The few times I do I use dwarfbuck or gp.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2010, 10:33:31 am »

I usally don't use a name for the currency, like 'thats worth 5 and thats worth 20'.

The few times I do I use dwarfbuck or gp.

/qft

units are irrelevant

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2010, 10:36:16 am »

I call it "money"; "that schist figurine with tons of gems slapped on it is worth 34000 money".
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2010, 03:30:59 pm »

I am a fan of referring to every unit as "Urist" (although i think of temperature as just Urists not degrees Urist.  Think of the Kelvin scale.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2010, 05:13:48 pm »

Monies is best :D

I call them Quid tbh plural and singular,

I have One Quid.

I will give you Five Quid for that, mate*.

* Mate is Optional

Spot the fellow British guy. Have you found him? YES! IT'S YOU!

:D & i thought I was the only one :p

Everyone knows that, don't they? I suppose I'm probably a bit biased, but I figured even Americans knew about Quid?

Well the guy above me seemed to think it was just weird so I enlightened him :)

Don't see any reason why Americans would know British Slang to be honest.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

canon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2010, 05:17:53 pm »

prairie oysters.

they'd be a hit with all the female dwarves.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2010, 05:30:22 pm »

I call 'em Spines.

10 copper Spines to a Silver Spine, 10 Silver spines to a Gold spine.

I don't actually use that.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2010, 05:51:23 pm »

I am a fan of referring to every unit as "Urist" (although i think of temperature as just Urists not degrees Urist.  Think of the Kelvin scale.)

I like Urist as unit of measure for temperature and weight, but I prefer Moruls as a unit of distance. One Morul equals the 130 or so spaces he launched an orc with a warhammer.

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2010, 05:56:20 pm »

I like Urist as unit of measure for temperature and weight, but I prefer Moruls as a unit of distance. One Morul equals the 130 or so spaces he launched an orc with a warhammer.

"130 or so." Armok below, they've gone Imperial. ::)
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7