Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Currency name?  (Read 12112 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: Currency name?
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2010, 01:21:11 am »

Laser squids, hmmmm.
"I'd offer ya six thousand laser squids fer that red gem-encrusted statue of Armok!"
"Are ye kiddin' me? Us spent more on gems alone that were used ta encrust it! All kinds of red gems! And that's before it got sanctified by soaking it in elf blood! Fifteen thousand laser squids, and nah coin less!"

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2010, 01:35:53 am »

I don't tend to call them anything because I have a very visually oriented brain. When I want to think of the value I'm trading I think of trading the symbol.

That said, I like to think that the standard currency is made of kitten teeth.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2010, 02:28:29 am »

After following the Penny Arcade forum discussion on DF, I've come to regard them as Dimdums.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:29:10 am by backflip »
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2010, 09:36:12 am »

Urists.  Anything else is heterodox travesty.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2010, 09:57:10 am »

Eventually I imagine that individual civilizations will have their own name for their currency. Until then, you call it whatever the heck you like. When talking to other players, calling them value, urists, monies, or dwarfbucks (or variants of Dwarfbucks) is the most common. I've seen them called quite a few other things, but a quick search in the forum will show that they are usually addressed as those four.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2010, 10:34:14 am »

Monies is best :D

I call them Quid tbh plural and singular,

I have One Quid.

I will give you Five Quid for that, mate*.

* Mate is Optional

The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2010, 10:49:54 am »

... caps?

Beat me to it. I also call the currency "caps".

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2010, 01:02:43 pm »

I have One Quid.

* Mate is Optional

How dare you? "Mate" is not optional.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2010, 01:32:13 pm »

I just think of them as coins myself, but if I were going to name them, it'd be either:

Cuprums, Argentums, and Aurums.

or

Thrors, Thrains, and Thorins.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2010, 01:42:29 pm »

Laser squids beats all these names, though.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2010, 02:45:03 pm »

I have One Quid.

* Mate is Optional

Spot the fellow British guy. Have you found him? YES! IT'S YOU!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2010, 03:11:39 pm »

I just think of them as coins myself, but if I were going to name them, it'd be either:

*twitch*

I admire the Latin, but please pluralise with an "a": cupra, argenta, aura. For my overly pedantic sake.
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2010, 03:44:26 pm »

*twitch*

I admire the Latin, but please pluralise with an "a": cupra, argenta, aura. For my overly pedantic sake.

Quousque tandem abutere, Ubiq, patientia nostra?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2010, 04:15:34 pm »

*twitch*

Quousque tandem abutere, Ubiq, patientia nostra?

That's a pretty obscure reference.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2010, 04:25:09 pm »

I've heard them called dwarf bucks and dimdums. I'd use either term in a DF conversation interchangeably. Then again, this is coming from someone who never mints coins.

As a side note:

Ţ̛̖͍̦͕̞̙̬͙̰̰̖̰̰̔͌̎͊̑ͧ̎͆̃̃́͆͛̇ͣ̎͝h͆͆ͤͧͮ̾̊̇̆͑̊͌̌͂̈́ͯ̋̍҉̬̰̬̗̬̝͇͈͓͕̦̰̠͇̱͚͟i̸̬͚̻͕̜̯̩̰̩̳͖͈̮̮͎͓ͮͬ̆̍͡ͅs̰͓̞̩̹͖͂͆ͨͨ̅̂ͧ̓͗ͨ͘͝ ͋̀͆̈́ͩͥͪͩ̆̈ͩ҉̡̱͉̲̮̜͎̺̠̰͙̰̦̩͜p̨̬̝̣̫̺̹͇̟̝̝̭̟̭̪͐̇ͨ̆̇͒̋̓̋̈͡͞r̶̴̥̘̝̤͎͔͓͖̟̞ͤ̓͂͋ͣ̇ͅõ̢̡͎̥̰̠̼ͮͥ̌͂̈́͜͡ͅg̲̖͙͇̳̥͔̤̭̯̗̟̞̭͎͕̰̙͗ͨͫ̒̂̑ͬͨ́͠r̋̿̀͋̃̽̉ͨͫͣ̓͊̾ͨͯͩͬ̚҉͔̩̥̗̺̙͍̻̼̦̹͓͇̮̰̖͞a̟̩̭̰̒̆̾̊̓ͬ͆̃̽͑̐̀́m̛̩̮̱̫̥̭̻̟̤̯̱̩̘͇̺ͩ̔͛͒͊̔̍ͥͮ̀͘ ̰͎̼̮̻̼̳̯̮͔͕̍ͪͦ͗̿̋̌̈ͥ́́̚͟͝h̥͕̥̼̫͔̦̯̹̘͇͔͎ͤ̅ͨ͑̑͊͌̋͌̀̆͢ͅͅą̸̶̣̞̘̞̝̜͇̭̯̦̻̞̹͙̦̩̝͙ͥ̎ͯ̿̊̄̑ͪ̀̀̚s̫̠̭̣̓ͫ̒ͥ̄ͦ̓ͮ͌̈̈́ͥͦ͋̊͗͛̍̀̚͟ ̴̩͕͇̈͗̐̋̏̋̀ͫ͋̀ͣ̓̉ͫ́ͅp̛͙̮̩̞͓̹͓̝̻̗͕̔ͭͬ̄́̿͜e͐̽̒ͤ̇͊ͯ͢͡҉̧̢̠̩̭̰̫̮̝r͖̜̞̤̘̪͕̻̪͌̂ͬ͟f̴̵̦̖̬̬̼͇̯͍̗̳͚͔ͤ͂̊̂̄̔ͦ̂̈́͒̒́̓ͪͭͭ̏ͦ́o͓͙̫͍̖͔̤̞̠͈̝̝͖̼͍̬͎̞̤ͣ̐̔̔̎̇͑ͣͣ͐ͥ͢r̡̳͍̻͌͂ͥ͑́̓̚͘͟͠m̨̥̰̱̮̰̙̲̩͚͕͗ͪ̈́̾̊̃͊̓ͥ̀͠e̺͕̜̤̰͓̱͓̻͓̦̟͎͙̠̗̳̣̿ͫ̇̇ͤ̂̃͒̊͒͛̾ͪ͠͝ͅd̷͂͌͊̓ͬ͂ͨ̑̈́ͨ̽̉̒ͩͨ͂ͩ́͡͏̘͔̗̣̟̳͉͙̰̟̞̝̜͙̥̞̙̪ ̶̡͇̖̝ͪ͐̈̄̊̐ͤͬ̊̊̈́ͪ͆̄̍ͦͨ͆̀̀̚͝á̧͚͓̳͎͖͚̣̘̥͓̯͓̳̼̓̑̆̅͛͐̍ͪ͑ͬ͒̋̀́̕n̶̩̟̞̲̺̗̪̲̏̅͛̀̋ͫͥͨͭ̒ͫ̔ͧ̚̕̕ͅ ̡ͣ͊ͧ̈ͥ͛͆ͩ̑̿͋ͪ̅͒͑̕͝҉̭̦̠̖̳̘͎͖̻̥̝̬ͅIͮͥ̈̾̌̇̾̀͏̧̧̫̫̗͇̪̱̹͔̖͓̟̗͖̖̬͈͇l̛̥̭̘̼̯̬͚̮̲̩̞̳͇̅̃̈͋͛̔̑̑ͫ͋ͭͪͥ̅̃ͩ́͡ͅͅl̨̨̛̹̣̞͖͇ͥ͑̈́͋ͪͣͭ͗̓ͦͤ͜͞eͥͧͭ̋ͧ̃͒̌͂ͬͩ̀͑̔ͣͮ͏̨͙͇̜͇̖̮̭̗̖̲̯̥̼̭͠g̶̶̼̬̗̞̭̰ͥ̂̔ͫ͋͗̽̎͑ͥͪͥ̐̏͘a̧̡̪̬͖̰͈̜̟̫̭̪̳͈̗̙͂̈́ͫ͌ͥ͊͂̿͐̃͞͝l̴̶̦̙͇̞̻͉̰̹̣͚̞̬̝͆̍̀̉̄̓̇̓̀́ ̸̞̠̪̟̯͎͓̜͎̘̭͕ͫ͌̆̇͜Ę̵̨̮̰̫̲̲̫̘̻̠̟͓͚̽̀ͦͦ͞r̹͇̲͚̬̦̹̼͇͙̀ͭͨ̾̿ͮ̇̀̕͞r̸͚̞̟̞͇̝̩̳͍͙̲̬ͮ̒̽̔͂̔͆̿̋̏͊ͨ̀́͊̉̄̄̀ŏ̶̢͈̤̙̰̃͒͗̏ͤͯͥ̈ͦͤͧͤͯͤ̌̕͜͡r̸̗͖̰̗͕̩̖̬͎̫̤̺͖͚̀ͮͯͧ̍ͬͩ̈́͑̆̄ͤ̔͌̃ͭ̆͐̆͟͞ͅ ̶̡̳̫͙̘̦̱͙͇ͦ͌ͩͬ̇̿̀̊̽ͬ̃̆̚a̸̱̪̠͈̝̞̘̥̳̳ͤ͊͑ͪ̉̅̾̀́̚͟n̢ͫ̋̅͗҉͔͎̙͔̬͠͞d̔̓̈́̍̿ͯͦ̎͗̿͐̊ͣ҉̸̴͚͈̗͇̩͈̻̭̲̬͎̭͖̟̘̦̯͟ ̩̹̖̼͈̈̈́́̽̕͝w̡̧͉̣͉̠̥͍̺͍̣̞͇̤̰͙̰̭͎͚ͮͭ̌̂͐̒͐̉̀̉̈́̍̀͡ͅí͍͙͙͙͕͉̯̄̓̈́͢͝l̛̛̰̞̜̘̗͕̭̣͌̒̌̓̈̾͑̆̓͊̌͑̆̈́͛͟͜͜l̵̴̵̢̪̭͓̻̺̦͔͚͐̐̋̄ͨ̄̊͐ͦ̍͗ͧ̆ͮͮ̃̓̅͠ ͈̪̻͕̼̘̜͓͒̔͒ͧ̂ͦ̈́́̕̕͢b̛͓̗̹̻̺̬̖̫̠̜̜̗͍͕̥͒̆̑̃̈̽̄̈ͭ̈ͯ͌́͘eͥ̏̓ͬ͂̍̇̈̊ͮ̋̑̓ͨ́͒̚͡҉̧̱̮̩̹̖̘̭̖̻͎͈̠̼͝ ̷̨̼͖̞̲̰ͮ̓̋ͭ̀̊̃̚͞sͦ̋ͪͭͧ̇ͨͩ̿ͦͪ̽ͨ̓̂ͭ͊͘͏̻͖͔̣̞͙̙̤͚͓̞̭̮ḩ̶̜̟͓̖̦̼̲̻͖̦̼͚͉̲̺̦̗ͤͯͮͅu̡͈̬̞ͤ̎̆̿̽̍͛͋̽̋̂̚͘t̲̺̭̣̣͎͇̭͖͉̥ͯͬ͛͆̇̾̅̕͘ ͤ̓̿̅̅͗́͌ͧ҉̶̨̧͎̭̞̟̦̻̮̮̱̯͙͈͇̤̩͎̲̬̺͝dͥͥ̚͠͏̀҉̧͙̖̠̳ͅo̔̾̉ͬ͗ͩ̒̃́̂͆̍ͨ͏̣̥̗̠̤̯͍͢w̴̷̢̜̫̦͇̮̫̣͇̹̼̮̥̙̪͖͎͖̼̦͆ͧ̿̅̀̈́ͪ̓ͣ̀̆̕͡n̞͍̤̬̭͔̺̮̺͍̊ͣ̆͌̐̀͢ ̵̢̧̡̭̞̦̣̟̫̤̭̭̪̲̊ͦͬ́ͅi̶̸͎̻͉̹̹̼̯̾̀̈́̈̍̑̇ͫ͋̉̑̒ͣͣ̊ͧ̚̕͞ṇ̵̩̩͎̻͓̝̲͇͓ͯ̀̓̃ͬ͐̄̋͡ ̃̃̓̄̅ͩ̚̕͏͜͏̩͚̯͙̣̯̮̜̠̙͙̠̘͎ͅąͬͥͪ̓͊ͦ̏ͭͥͮ͒̀͏̡̢̻̰̻̞̪̜͘c̗̝͍̥̮̳̤̻̙̲͓̥̱̜̠͈̄ͯ̅̈́͊͗̑͐́̔̐͒̀ͪ̔̐͝͝ͅc̶̡̣̞̬̠̝̣͍̜̠ͮ̔̊̾̓̉͠ͅo̵͌̈͂ͪ̊̈́͗̍̅̃̃͂͒̂̄ͬ̏̾̚͢͏͉̜͕͇͇̖̕͞r̨͂̃͋̊͌̃͋ͣ͒҉̛̱̬̱͙̖̬̪̙̳͇̪͢ͅd̡̢̛̙͓̝̣͚̬͆͗̆͒ͯ̀a̡̱̳̙͖͍͇͉̦̠̟̦̮͈̩̭̻̱͂ͦ̓́̅͊ͦ̈̐ͧͫ̍̐̉ͧͬ̚͢n͚̻̥̠͈̮̮ͨ̉͆̓͆ͪ̑̉̔̿͋̉̾̿̕͝c̺̭̩͎̙͈̬͙̠̖̓̇̂͒̋̕e̴̦͈̩̺̥̩̳̯͍͙̖̘̞̬͖ͩ̊ͤ̅̃͋ͧ͒̆ͪ̊̓̎̔͐̒ͦͬ̏̀͠ ̵̷̴̲̝̖͙͙̜͉̔ͬͥ̓̄̉̏͡ẁ̏́̇ͨͯ͋̌̒̐͋͂̓ͬ͑҉̡̬͓̼̭̘̪̘̰̟̲̺͙̗̻̠͡ͅi̓̎͋ͨ͐ͯ̎͑̂̾̅ͫ̉ͮ̍҉͔̦̗̫̺̹͎̳̩̱͍̱̗͟t̡͒̐͒ͦ̊ͦͩ͑̊̒ͬ̂͏̶̧͔̣̤̻͇̮̳̜̺̮̦͈͍͔͕̜͎h̢̢͓̲̮̞̩͔͍̝͍̗̠̓͛̍̆͛͊̊̊̀͆̆ͬ̓̋ͧ̐ͫͯ̉ͅ ̧̮͉͈̙̖̜͙̰̣̻̳͔̅̑ͤͨͬͫͯ̈̀͘͝t̶̵̨̢̥̖̱͉͉͉͉̣͔͈̠͓̝̪̰̯͔ͧ͒̒̑͒͌̈́͆̊ͮ̐͢h̸̸́ͭ͊ͭ͗̓͂ͧͥ̓҉͚͔̠̗͡ͅe̴̸ͫ̐͌̇̓̾ͥ̽ͫ͛ͨ͑͐ͥͧ̐̃͋͞͡҉̰̻̖̟͔̯̣̗̗̱͖̜̜̗̳ͅ ̴͙̠̜̘̱͎ͨ̓͐ͤ͆͐̍̂ͤ͛ͮͦ̎̀́͠S̸̫͈̩̤͓͍̯̃̾͂ͩͮ̋̑ͮ̅ͭ̔̽͆ͣ̀́ư̛̝̖̺̥͗̒ͥͩm̛̪̝̘͕̐̈ͦ̾̐̓ͫ̐͠e̸̻̥͔̯̫̹̞̼̩̳̞͚ͤ̓̈̊̃̓ͬ̅͛̀̕r͓̭̫̫̪͙̮̹̯̟̼͇͖̬̙̜̓̓̓͐̉ͯ̄̔̑̂̊͒̀͢͢ï̷̛̯͚͇͖̜̟̩̪̟̩̥̜̠̦̺̦͖ͥ̓́ͯ͗͋͜͢͠a̋̄͗̎̍̔̋͂͌̇ͦͦ̔̄̽ͮ͘͡҉̶̮̩͓̘̲̺̲̫̝̣̦̪n̾͂͐̏̑̐̔̓̈̎̈́̎͊͞҉̀͏̮̗̤̰̳̮̩̥͓̬͜ ̨̧̘̪̼̘̻̬̤̹̭͎̊͑ͬͣ͐̃ͯ̀ͭ̔ͪ̿̔͗̏̌̚͟͜l̵̜͇͖̥̖̞̗͓͚̭̅ͧͤͥ͋͘̕͠a̛ͯ͑̒ͨͫ̆҉̢̠̣͇͎̪̯̣̻̗͇̮̞͚̠̜̣̞͇̱wͯ̏̿̊̓ͮ͌̏̈́̅͑̚͏̘̗͕̜͓̠̣͉̲͢s̩̱͕͕̻̻̼͛̋ͪ̿ͩ͢͜ͅ ͬ͛̓ͤͥ̐͊̇̈́̍҉̵̵̢͔͍̭͙͎̫̲̬̙̭̞̻̦̪̫̱̻̺͔͘o̡͎̭͓ͯ͛̿ͧͩͣͭ̔͊͐̀̂ͤ̾̈́̓͒́ͅf̴̧̡̢̛͍̤̥̖̺̜͔̑̇̆ͫ̋̒͑ͯ ̡͉̣͈̲͇͈̲̣̺̜̠ͨ̆̈́ͬ͛ͦͥ̏̒͆ͨ̋̂̓ͫ͒̌̕b̴̢̪̼͉̻̥̩͚̖͎̲̻̬̫̲͙ͦ̀͛ͣ̏ͨ̄͜͟l̡͔͉̭̠̣̤̖̹͍̲̞̦͉̺͉͚̙̰͂ͣ̂͒̓̒̂̋̍͒̎̐͒͊̓̆͘͝͝ͅo̶̢̢͈̭̪̣͓̜̦̞̭̰̠̮͔̠̽ͤ͛̇̈́̃̅ͣ͆̐̂͆͜ͅo̴̻̭̱̬͎̮̘̯̝͔͈̳̮̰̟̖͖̾͛̀͒͑̈́ͬ̆̒́̾͒͢ͅd̎̾͒̈̽͌̈́̑̈́ͣͫͩ̔̑ͬ͘͜͏̝̞̫̠̳̙̹̝̞̤-̶͕͈̰̺̮̼̽̂ͦ́̓ͫ͑ͥ̑ͧ̌̄͐̒͗͗͞r̸̫͚̤̤̼̭̯̱̰͖̺̤͉̙̠̤͚̀ͥͬ̑͆̓̄̏ͮ̂͛̓͌́iͮ͒ͫ̀̎͑̔͑̽ͬͦ͊̑ͧͦ͢͏̀҉̢̲̫̤̜̳͈̪̝̳͖̗t̴ͥ̅ͧ͗̑͐ͭ̎ͤ̃҉̺̜̘̺̼͓̟̲̳̝͙͉̰͚͎̜̳ȩ̷̵̸̦̯̙͉̂ͮ̎̉͑ͥ͛̕.̢ͮ̄̏̋̇҉̞̺͉̖͇͔̙̀

How the carp did you do that?
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7