Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rare metal changes:  (Read 949 times)

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rare metal changes:
« on: November 25, 2010, 11:53:11 am »

With the new, less frequent metals on the horizon, I have a few requests.
Now, since metals are less frequent, we will have to get a lot more serious about actually 'mining,' instead of incidentally finding a great deal of iron and coal as you dig out your fortress. Now, this is awesome, because it adds a lot to the game... But, you will no longer be able to ignore the fact that there are several nodes of valuable ore in the walls of your dining room. This means we will inevitable end up building a whole lot more walls all over the place, to repair the holes we punch through everything with our bottomless greed. However, it would be REALLY nice to be able to engrave these constructed walls that we will be needing to use dramatically more often.
Also, I've found if there is one thing that causes my frame-rate to drop like Paris Hilton's panties, it is the extra path-finding costs of large mining operations. So, that being the case, it would be super nice if streamlining the path finding code got moved up on the priority list a bit... This game is awesome, and I love it to death. And I want to play it all the time. But when my fort hits about 120 dwarves, everything starts going very slowly, and I become a sad, sad panda. This would be an even bigger problem with giant mining operations.

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rare metal changes:
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 05:57:29 pm »

I was hoping the path finding would be dealt with before metals were made more rare. With the path finding as it is, if I need to do much searching then the only options are to give up or find where things are before I start digging. The broken resources are dull, but better than the problem they are helping to ease.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 12:45:50 pm »

Just build doors, at the entrance to each z level mine, and forbid them whenever you don't want to use the mine. Should fix most of the pathfinding woes. Or you could mod metals to be more abundant.
@ sfon We can search by metals now right? So we can find out exactly where they are anyways, so no problem.

I do want walls engraved and pathfinding optimized (Not that I know if it can even be made much faster).
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 02:49:21 pm »

I'd like less, but bigger metal deposits. That way you can actually mine in an area, instead of following a meagre vein for a few squares. Most mines are an operation that runs for decades, not for a few weeks.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:19:39 pm »

I'd like less, but bigger metal deposits. That way you can actually mine in an area, instead of following a meagre vein for a few squares. Most mines are an operation that runs for decades, not for a few weeks.
Hmm, I would like that too, maybe have more deposits travel more then one z level
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz