Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How To Cheer Up My Dorf?  (Read 2659 times)

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
How To Cheer Up My Dorf?
« on: November 25, 2010, 09:26:25 am »

Basically, I have a Hero Dwarf who was recently Engaged in some heavy fighting in which half of the Garrison of this Hero's tower were killed. They have been sentenced to about 60 days in prison after several disorderly conducts & building destruction (Her Cell to be precise).

The Prison walls are engraved with even a masterpiece put in there, she has a bed too! Also when she had escaped she spent some time in a statue garden with quality engravings, statues and chairs yet refuses to be cheered up:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any Tips? This is in 40d Btw

Great, as I was typing another of her friends died & she's back into Miserable. Seeing as she's a hero dorf in the military i don't really want to end up executing her or her going mad, I recently retired her from the military because she's probably seen enough fighting for this lifetime :p
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cheer Up My Dorf?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:42:47 am »

First...i dont play 40d but 2010 so a few things may be subtley different with the way dwarf thoughts work

Theres a considerable amount of bad thoughts kicking about that dwarfs mind so its little surprise shes less than happy, in particular loss of a lover is a heavy blow.

having provided engravings/bed in the prison youve taken care of the first part

Assuming you are using a chain rather than a cage for justice it should be possible to put a 1-tile food stockpile and a 1-tile booze stockpile within reach of the chain.  This allows you to get more quality stamped goods into her which should help, the dwarf does mention she cant remember the last time she drank alcohol

Over time the negative thoughts about loss of friends/lovers should disappear and the good thoughts will be refreshed as she admires/eats/drinks and her mood will recover.

Removing her from the military is certainly an option to limit future tragedies, though leaving her in may lead to her 'not caring about anything much' which makes her almost impossible to upset. (not 100% certain this happens in 40d)

Overall I'm fairly sure that without the engravings/bed you added this dwarf would have gone melancholy long ago, ive had people tanrum after losing just a pet, shes down a lover, a friend, saw them die, was beaten, locked up, denied alcohol, left hungry and saw vermin she despises
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:50:49 am »

So just wait & hope? Ok lol, fingers crossed she doesn't break out again & end up getting executed.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 09:52:36 am »

Oh Dear.

She's still chained up, for the moment at least.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 10:04:43 am »

Well, that's too bad. Seriously. would have made an interesting story, maybe.
*Sigh* Deploy Magma...
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:06:12 am »

Now, I don'y want you to get angry or anything.

But I don't have Magma.

However, Cloisteredwood has a military about 50 strong. Deploy Marksdwarfs!

Though now there's only 2 survivors of the Granite Tooth Garrison (It was originally 8 strong), 1 Military and 1 Civilian (Though both are civilians now). Will keep an eye on them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:11:02 am by Herbiie »

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 10:09:50 am »

now, how to make sure anyone that she likes that is still alive doesn't start a spiral...
CHEESE FOR EVERYONE! Unless they don't like cheese.
then cheese for noone.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 10:15:56 am »

is she still chained up?
I'd say keep her, unless she can break free. Find a way to dump unarmed goblins in there with her.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 10:17:01 am »

Lol, well the only people she's friends with are the other two survivors, in-fact one of them is just a long term acquaintance, most of my 163 Dwarfs are happy or ecstatic :)

@ McKee she's dead now, she was interrupted too much because some idiot dropped a chain in the doorway keeping it open, so everyone in the main hall was running away from her :(

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 10:26:41 am »

Consider, She's hungry, thirsty, just lost a lover and friend to tragedy, she was beaten, bitten by vermin, and chained up for starting a fist fight. I'd be pretty unhappy too. A pretty statue, a pretty engraving, and a bed aren't going to fix that entirely.

i'd probably give her a royal treatment (a masterwork bed, and top quality alcohol and prepared food), and as soon as she stops thinking about her brutally murdered friend and lover, she'll be good as new.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 12:35:28 pm »

To avoid this as much as possible in the future build a mist generator if possible, then place your jail in the range of the mist. Place a food and liquor stock pile tile beside the jail. In 2010 this works wonders.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 12:58:29 pm »

60 days? That's nothing.

What a crybaby.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 02:07:40 pm »

60 days? That's nothing.

What a crybaby.

I think it was more that 3 of her closest friends & her lover died ;)

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 02:09:18 pm »

It could have been worse. Her cat could have died too.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »

It could have been worse. Her cat could have died too.

She didn't have a cat! :p
Pages: [1] 2