Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cat Genocide Help  (Read 1116 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Cat Genocide Help
« on: November 25, 2010, 01:34:53 am »

I've got the beginnings of a catsplosion in my fort with 2 pet male cats and 7 pet female cats, all with different owners.

I tried making a airlocked passageway filled with spike traps with a burrow at the end for the cat owners in an attempt to trap the damn 4 legged hellspawn but it fails for various reasons.

Killing the dwarves that the cats have claimed is not an option since they're my legendary miners and military dwarves. Does anyone know a good design for a cat execution chamber? Or even better, a way to mod the raws to makes cats butcherable? And for future problems can I remove the cats' [PET] tag to make them unable to claim dwarves?

I can't use my danger room for this because it's too tiny.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 01:40:12 am by Acperience »

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Genocide Help
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 01:45:42 am »

Just a theory, but I have an idea. A one tile wide corridor, with a pressure plate, and upright spikes on both sides of it. If the PP is set so that citizens trigger it, the idea is that a dwarf going down the hallway will activate the spike traps, spearing any cats trailing behind. However this might need a little micromanaging, to ensure that you don't lots of dwarves going down the hallway at the same time, or you might end up with Dwarven Swiss Cheese. Forbidden doors sound like the easiest method.

Just make sure you have something to cheer your guys up, else they'll go emo over their dead furballs.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 01:52:56 am »

I made a danger room for my military behind pet blocking doors (a series of them). Since then about every cat in the fortress has pathed there to get killed. 20 dead cats in 3 years. They really want to get to that room for some reason.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 01:56:17 am »

The mist generator should take care of the unhappiness.

The reason most traps won't work (for me) is the cats almost never trail behind the owners since they're dicking around. At best the cat will be ~10 tiles away and it will wander vaguely in the direction of its dwarf when it gets too far. Also as soon as they hit an obstacle (such as a tightly closed/locked door) they cancel the following and go dick around again.

This is getting frustrating because all the trap designs I can think of require the cat to be sticking to their dwarf, which I keep assuming they'll do, but they don't....

The danger room thing really doesn't work for me since mine is basically 2 tiles, one with a channel with 4/7 water and 1 with a 4 spear trap. The cats refuse to go near it. It's like they know they're giant dicks whom I want killed
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:00:12 am by Acperience »

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 02:00:27 am »

set them all to be slaughtered in your butcher shop?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 02:01:19 am »

You can't slaughter cats with owners.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 02:02:59 am »

Can't do that with the ones that are already pets.

Can you assign pets to a cage?, never tried that. If so, a little magma can fix everything pretty quick and easy.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 02:04:38 am »

My danger room keeps the cat population in check. I've seriously considered importing cats just because the danger room skewers so many.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:25:21 pm by AngleWyrm »

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 02:10:23 am »

Can you assign pets to a cage?, never tried that. If so, a little magma can fix everything pretty quick and easy.

Animals that are pets can't be caged.

Also, the danger room thing is not an option  :-[

Well I believe I've modded cats to not be pets now...ever.(time will tell)
But i still have to take care of those little bastards in my fort.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 02:14:27 am »

Simple:

Z2
Code: [Select]
  XXX 
  X.X    <- hole in floor
XXX XXX <- access
Define using 'i' a pit across the hole and floor tile next to it.

Z1
Code: [Select]
XXXXXXX
XbbbbbX <- raised bridge the size of the room
X     X
XXXDXXX <- tightly closed door

Press 'i', hover over your pit, press 'P', assign all of your cats.  Your dwarves will mass-haul them to the pit, where they'll be unable to get out.  Activate your bridge to smish them :)

If you want to kill pets as well, create a long hallway that has restricted traffic, spike traps or similar linked to a pressure plate at each end.  Put this hallway next to a commonly used hallway, put tightly closed doors across it to force pets to use the pet smishing hall.  To be relatively safe you can load the traps with training spears which I recently found out are very effective against pets :P
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 02:21:11 am »

Never mind i fixed my cat problem, killed the cats in magma chamber with a long hallway. All the doors were pet restricted and made of flammable materials except the last set. As the owners scrambled through the doors to safety the cats were lovingly burned to death, even accidentally propped open doors couldn't save them.

Thanks for the cat smashin pit idea, though I usually just have un-assigned cats slaughtered. Now that I've modded cats to never be pets I don't think i have to worry about it again.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 02:37:43 am »

Animals that are pets can't be caged.

Also, the danger room thing is not an option  :-[

Well I believe I've modded cats to not be pets now...ever.(time will tell)
But i still have to take care of those little bastards in my fort.

Is there any particular reason why you can't just make a bigger danger room...?  ???

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 02:40:42 am »

O i couldn't expand the danger room because all available mechanisms are going towards building my magma trap front entrance and I need about 100 something. Also i think a smaller danger room is more efficient for training.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 04:26:08 am »

If you wanna mess with tags put [AQUATIC] in the female caste. They should all air drown right away and if any migrants bring them in the future.

Otherwise there are plenty of hatch traps you can rig since they will wait predictably at a pet forbidden door when not hunting vermin, or right after.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 08:21:52 am »

Has someone every tried reducing all litters for cats to 0, and finding the code that makes dwarfs only have kids after marriage and then apply that to cats as well?

The point is to make them have as "few" kids as dwarves do.
Pages: [1] 2