Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you deal with "Muck"  (Read 1962 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deal with "Muck"
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 09:55:57 pm »

I catch it to breed grimers.
I've been seriously considering making a pokemon mod.

There is one.  It makes a ton of wild creatures that screw around in generic ways.  I'll have to search for it, so hold up.  Found it.  Found the 2010 version.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:58:33 pm by squeakyReaper »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 11:46:35 am »

Hate to Necro an old thread like this, but coming back from a long break of DF and finding the same problem again.

I can clear up
"Muck" by either flooring over it and deconstructing, or just digging a pit, have it fall down, then flooring over the dump.  But the walls, THE WALLS.  I have places in my forts with pages of Blood and gore, sure the floors are clean, but the WALLS!!!!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 11:53:39 am »

When a dwarf cleans a floor tile, adjacent wall tiles are also cleaned.
To get a dwarf more likely to clean an area, make it a meeting zone.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 04:42:27 pm »

It was said that dwarves won't clean outside...so if I build a glass ceiling over it does it count as inside ?
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 04:52:13 pm »

No. If you want those tiles cleaned, you'll have to wait for rain.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 10:44:51 pm »

Once sunlight strikes terrain, its always considered to behave like the surface terrain. 1 good example is digging out a excavation to bust through a aquifier during the warm months. When freezing weather arrives, you build retaining  walls, excavate the ice, dig past the aqiufier. Even when you roof the area over, the water in the aquifier will still freeze, whenever the surface does. Since dwarves will not clean anything on the surface, your washers will always be mucked up, since they were exposed to sunlight. Roofing them over will not help. Perversely, roofing over a outdoor area to prevent cave adaptation does not help
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 02:37:08 am »

No. If you want those tiles cleaned, you'll have to wait for rain.

Or you can set the outside on fire (easy with Warlord's bonfire mod) and clean it that way.

Don't worry, the trees'll be fine. Anything else that's outside probably won't be, though.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 08:17:54 am »

Once sunlight strikes terrain, its always considered to behave like the surface terrain. 1 good example is digging out a excavation to bust through a aquifier during the warm months. When freezing weather arrives, you build retaining  walls, excavate the ice, dig past the aqiufier. Even when you roof the area over, the water in the aquifier will still freeze, whenever the surface does. Since dwarves will not clean anything on the surface, your washers will always be mucked up, since they were exposed to sunlight. Roofing them over will not help. Perversely, roofing over a outdoor area to prevent cave adaptation does not help

I have one surface pool of water that I dug into from inside and now it never freezes anymore as it is connected with unfrozen inside water...I kinda expected the reverse to happen.

So your saying that my glass roofed surface built zoo/statue garden is worthless to prevent cave adaptation until I take the roof off ?

Batdwarf Forever !

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 01:21:46 pm »

I have one surface pool of water that I dug into from inside and now it never freezes anymore as it is connected with unfrozen inside water...I kinda expected the reverse to happen.

That's actually wierd.  The outside water should freeze, the subterranean water should never freeze.

So your saying that my glass roofed surface built zoo/statue garden is worthless to prevent cave adaptation until I take the roof off ?

I think he's saying it won't prevent cave adaption symptoms (if you Dwarfs have cave adaption).  Your glass roofed meeting area of awesome should work as intended to help prevent cave adaption from setting in.

Unless glass flooring no longer permits light.  I haven't checked that in the new game... since I always end up with two types of Dwarves, Outside and Inside.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 02:50:20 pm »

I think he's saying it won't prevent cave adaption symptoms (if you Dwarfs have cave adaption).  Your glass roofed meeting area of awesome should work as intended to help prevent cave adaption from setting in.

Unless glass flooring no longer permits light.  I haven't checked that in the new game... since I always end up with two types of Dwarves, Outside and Inside.

It says Inside/Light/Above Ground under the green glass roof so I guess that's okay then.

Batdwarf Forever !

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 09:02:14 pm »

It says Inside/Light/Above Ground under the green glass roof so I guess that's okay then.

Two Thumbs up!   :D

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 01:47:34 am »

The only way I have gotten this to work:

1.) Smooth a stone floor, leaving access so dwarves will clean that
2.) Place metal grates the next z level over the smoothed floor
3.) poor water through grates to wash dwarves
4.) enable cleaning on all idlers after shutting off waterfall.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 [2]