Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Highway to the danger zone  (Read 1881 times)

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Highway to the danger zone
« on: November 24, 2010, 09:19:41 pm »

Danger Rooms, eh?  Sounds like fun.  Let's just set up a repeater and a bunch of training spear traps...

Be careful with how many spears you put in the trap?  Pfeh, my dwarves are MEN!  Man..dwarves.  They can handle ten spears per inch of room.

Or... perhaps not.

The training room itself.  Twenty dwarves went in.  One remains, an absolute powerhouse of a dwarf.  Evolution is denied, however, as he's probably missing his downstairs equipment by now. 

I figured having water next to the traps would up their swimming, as suggested by another forumgoer.  I was wrong.

Incidental dwarves were skewered trying to retrieve itemry, as well.  The dwarves weren't happy to see their population plummet from 50 to 21.

The recently dug graveyard couldn't keep up.  Bodies rot in the hallways.

Needless to say, the hospital couldn't either.  It doesn't help that the diagnoser is rotting somewhere.

I'm going to, um... I'm going to go make another fort, now.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: Highway to the danger zone
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:25:46 pm »

maybe 9 of them died, but the 10th could probably drop kick half of a goblin raid without any socks
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

furlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:43:08 pm »

Hm this has me worried. I am an abuser of that particular training methodology. Was nothing in the changelog about altering how spears behave in upright spear traps. Perhaps you didn't use just training spears?

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:14:21 pm »

Hm this has me worried. I am an abuser of that particular training methodology. Was nothing in the changelog about altering how spears behave in upright spear traps. Perhaps you didn't use just training spears?

he used 10 per trap, linked to a repeater. 1-3 per trap as is standard in these cases don't tend to have such fatal results.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 10:21:09 pm »

When I still used danger rooms, I used ten to a trap with no problem. I think the mechanics of danger rooms have changed.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:23:50 pm »

When I still used danger rooms, I used ten to a trap with no problem. I think the mechanics of danger rooms have changed.
I suppose it would make a big difference if you're filling them with wooden training spears and he's filling them with steel ones
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:45:53 pm »

I used wooden training spears :)

Would have been nicer if...
- I at least gave them leather armour
- I made a few pet airlocks (or maybe not, I hate pets!)
- I didn't fucking use ten spears per trap repeating every 3~ seconds on a bunch of potash makers

On the plus side, I'm inspired to make a skewer entrance trap that could (presumably) catch kobolds, too :)
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 10:49:15 pm »

- I at least gave them leather armour
And the problem is revealed.  None of the other things matter much if you give them any metal armor at all.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 01:16:12 am »

Well this amused me to no end!
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 01:38:32 am »

I'm currently using a single tile for a training room with 4 spears and all the dwarves are equip with wooden shields.
No fatalities or injures for 7 months so far and as for the swimming training, I'm using a 4/7 deep channel.
Swimming isn't showing too much progress though, highest skill is still Adequate.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 06:17:42 am »

I've often thought of making a repeating skewer trap for my fort entrance, but it would necessarily have to skewer traders and migrants too to be really sure of catching those bloody thieves.

Also, armor.  Seriously.  10 wooden training spears versus skin is not going to end happily.  You're not meant to leave them completely uncovered, else you just end up with a lot of dwarf paté.

Oh yes, and train your dwarves to swim using water that is deeper than 3/7 but shallower than 7/7.  7/7 trains them in drowning.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:19:18 am by Tommy »
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 07:42:08 am »

I had my danger room with 5 spears per trap, with my dorfs with no armour but the silk stuff they were wearing, and I got no injuries. Got legendary dodger veeeerrrry quickly.

Other than the pets that kept getting in through the propper open door..

Oh well :)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 08:08:03 am »

High-way, to, the, danger-zone! 8)

I second the amusement, but curse you for filling my head with top gun songs for the rest of the day.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 08:18:32 am »

What's a repeater?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 04:43:45 pm »

A player built mechanism for endlessly switching something on and off.

Usually a pressure plate triggered by running water or dwarves walking over it. Or you could just build a lever and assign it to be pulled on repeat.
Pages: [1] 2