Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Layouts/Designs  (Read 4373 times)

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Layouts/Designs
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 10:13:25 am »

I think I've just had a "Fun" idea!
Embark on a site with a river(doesn't matter what kinda of things are going on, evil lang, savage land, no flux, all flux, aquifier. As long as the river doesn't freeze or evaporate or something).
My idea is to build a mega river! But how would that work? It being pretty much 80% of the land and building a fortress over it.
Fishing haven, anyone? =D

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 01:28:54 pm »

That's neat, but is it all on one level? Would that not be dangerous if something got in? Or somethings.

Yes. However there are multiple layers of security.

First there are the soldiers. Then there are traps. And then herds of cave crocodiles and wolves.

Only if everything fails, so all of the traps, all of the soldiers, and all of the tame, aggressive animals are slain, then I'm in trouble.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 01:43:39 pm »

I've been playing with a spiral ramp layout lately.  I like how it looks:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9869-mothgate

Not to criticize but this layout style seems alien to me...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 03:25:58 pm »

My last few forts are a tiny bit complicated. It's a series of Rings spanning a few Z-Levels. The "entrance" is eight 'rings'. A inner and outer spanning four Z-Levels. If Z-0 is the surface?

Z+1: Is the second level of my fort. The it's inner 'ring' is a large barracks. Accessible only from the inner ring of Z-0. It's outer ring a thin walkway 'walled' with fortifications over looking the outside of the compound and the inside of the inner ring of Z-0. It's only accessible from the barracks.

Z-0: The outer ring hosts the entrance to the fort and feeds down directly to the inner ring of Z-2 (though a sealed access passing right through Z-1) at the far end from the entrance.  The inner ring (usually my hospital and being directly above my farms, my textile workshops.) Links only the the inner rings of Z+1 and Z-1.

Z-1: The inner ring are my farms (usually 7-10 5x5 plots) and the every farm related workshop not already described. It links to the outer ring of Z-2 by ramps and the inner ring of z-0. The outer ring is a water tank filled by pressure from below all of this designed to flood the inner ring of Z-2. There is a platform at one point in this 'ring' (see below), this platform usually cuts away at the outer ring of this Z-Level.

Z-2: The inner ring is another loop (that can be flooded from the outer of Z-1) that doubles back and connects to the platform on Z-1. This platform connect to the inner ring of Z-1, The outer ring of Z-2, and is the main stairwell of the entire fort. The outer ring of Z-2 is usually two small dormitories, a dinning hall, the trade depo, storage, and whatever I happen to need before I start digging down further.

And that mess is just the entrance. :P

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 03:54:09 pm »

I like to pncake it because it is easier to keep track of, wiht stockpiles on different levels. I may later have one level for housing, one for normal workshops, one for forges and soil layers for farming and stockpiles. Although I recently discovered the glory of bins and have finally managed to get a hang of keeping enough barrels around for food.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Barrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 05:56:12 pm »

I used to attempt to run optimized forts, minimizing movement by capitalizing on Z-levels and ramps, such as this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These days, however, I try to be more artistic than efficient. Here's a template I'm working on for my next large fort, for example, which will probably be decorated with tile-work and having hanging structures on the nearby Z-levels:

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 07:35:07 pm »

Here is an old and very basic layout I created back in early .40

Thanks for your design, it inspired me to make something similar -- everything on one level, with related stockpiles above/below the various sections.  It's quite beautiful.  It means that dwarves generally need to travel a little further instead of just running to the nearest stairwell to get somewhere, but it's also practical; I only need to look at one Z to know what my army of bingers is doing at a glance.  Brilliant :D
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 07:39:53 pm »

Hah, wow, yeah that's spiral.  Not quite how I make mine, though:

Code: [Select]
Z3:

^XXX
   ^XXX
   ^XXX
vvvXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

Z2:

XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
^^^XXXX
   vXXX
   vXXX
   vXXX

Z1:

XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXvvv
XXX^   
XXX^   
XXX^   

etc.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2010, 07:44:59 pm »

I use this basic layout for most of my forts:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9810-axeglided

Vertical entrance towards the middle-ish of the map which leads to a great hall that is the center of the fortress. Off to the left and right are the main production areas of the fortress, where food/booze, industry, and stockpiles are. Then on the other side of the map, opposite the great hall, is the residential section.

I like it how you smoothed down everything, even magma/water pipes and the upper Z's of huge rooms :D

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 08:09:32 pm »

Hah, wow, yeah that's spiral.  Not quite how I make mine, though:

etc.
Oh man, that actually takes 3 steps per z level.
You might want to consider quarter turns.

vvv
...^
...^
...^

It would cut the travel time up and down the ramp by 1/3rd. Depending on what you build off of the ramp this either would be an issue or you can stick a short hallway next to it to reach around.
For actual high efficiency though you need the ramp to be a diagonal affair.

v^
 v..^
v....^

However you run into more traffic jams like this because they will never choose to use the other side of the ramp until they've ran into someone.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2010, 09:54:00 pm »

So... I'm not even 1/4 of the way done my tower, and have had a few babies snatched up aswell as a few casualties(luckily, it was none of my tower building work force.)((That reminds me, I should disable the hauling jobs for the other two.)) I suffered about 7 military losses, and about the same in civillian, give or take. But now it should all be secure. Lucky me, I had 2 ambushes on the right sight of one of  my walls =D Small ones, but for my military it could have been dangerous. And it seems some of my dwarves are missing some hands and feet xD
Pages: 1 2 [3]