Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Does Adamantine Glow?  (Read 7153 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Does Adamantine Glow?
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2010, 11:19:54 pm »

There are plenty of explanations for why adamantine can't be penetrated by the demons, but easily by a copper pick.

1.  If there is some divine power involved, perhaps there's more to the seal than the material itself.  It may very well be unapproachable by the demons.  But once the seal is broken, so is that divine power and the demons come pouring out.  The material is still special, but it's no longer acting as a divine seal.

2.  If the adamantine is composed as threads, I imagine it as sort of a giant cloth net encompassing every exit from the core of the world.  Think of it like high caliber synthetic rope.  It can hold against tons of pressure, but still be cut.  The stuff can be used to suture wounds, after all, presumably with plenty of cutting involved.  I think the demons just don't have access to any such tools.

3.  As I understand, there are plenty of elements of the material system that aren't fully fleshed out.  It may be in the future a copper pick will have a lot more trouble penetrating the stuff.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2010, 11:22:33 pm »

As I understand, there are plenty of elements of the material system that aren't fully fleshed out.  It may be in the future a copper pick will have a lot more trouble penetrating the stuff.
It would probably take a year(DF time) to mine out the stuff.
Steel picks wouldn't have too much of an issue.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2010, 11:51:58 pm »

I find this thread entertaining on at least two levels.
Firstly for the interesting points of debate.
Secondly for the geek debate, which are always funny in there own right.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2010, 12:59:52 am »

Since they are both kind of debates, shouldn't it just be on one level?
Damn, I just meta-debated.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2010, 01:01:57 am »

Sounds like we need to get the Word of God (aka, Toady) to confirm or deny this.

Yeah, I'm going with this. Otherwise it's all just speculation based around the mechanics of the game and some old parts of it that may or may not be outdated and invalid.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2010, 04:26:57 am »

Sounds like we need to get the Word of God (aka, Toady) to confirm or deny this.

that makes it sound like there's actually some ambiguity here.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2010, 04:49:31 am »

Has the question been sent to the DF Talk podcast yet?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2010, 05:07:14 am »

Wasn't Mana some sort of bread that Mosses managed to summon to feed his people?

Or was it spelled Manna?

Since nobody ever bothered to comment on this, I just want to point out that the biblical substance was indeed manna. Possibile theories for what it was include:

Bug secretions
Hallucinagenic mushrooms
Tree resin
Lichen pollen

Bug secretions is usually deemed the most likely suspect.

Far as mithril and Sting go, it's never said that Sting was made of mithril or a derivative of it in the first place. Elves tended to use mithril as a decorative metal or for jewelry; only the Dwarves are specifically listed as making weapons and armor out of it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2010, 05:32:49 am »

Since they are both kind of debates, shouldn't it just be on one level?
Damn, I just meta-debated.

One of them is like watching David Attenborough, the other is watching 'Big bang theory'. Both things you see on TV, but not the same thing.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2010, 09:03:29 am »

Has anyone mentioned the adamantite space elevator yet?

What is the explanation for that?

*BRAINBLAST*

OMG

The adamantite space elevator is what connects the circus to the anti-circus. In a time before time, the surface of the world was plagued by a traveling circus, the world burned continuously for centuries. Then the ringmaster of the anti-circus declared, I shall not stand for this atrocity that has befallen the humble creatures of the lands! Dwarves, humans, goblins, kobalds, and even the elves. And with that grabbed his rifle, pointed it at the world, and shot a slug of pure adamantite. The slug left a trail of pure adamantite that climbs into the sky where the slug had been fired, up here the great ringmaster has made a throne, and watches the creatures of the world with an all knowing eye. As the slug traveled to the planet, the clowns could not avert its power and were forced into hiding, first in the top caverns, then in the secondary caverns, and so on, each time leaving behind their wicked brethren. Until they were finally sealed in the circus from whence they came, never to be seen again, or so we thought...

NOTE: btw I'm now going to worship the ringmaster, and I might even expand on this idea and write more...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2010, 09:21:29 am »

Wasn't Mana some sort of bread that Mosses managed to summon to feed his people?

Or was it spelled Manna?

Since nobody ever bothered to comment on this, I just want to point out that the biblical substance was indeed manna. Possibile theories for what it was include:

Bug secretions
Hallucinagenic mushrooms
Tree resin
Lichen pollen

Bug secretions is usually deemed the most likely suspect.

Far as mithril and Sting go, it's never said that Sting was made of mithril or a derivative of it in the first place. Elves tended to use mithril as a decorative metal or for jewelry; only the Dwarves are specifically listed as making weapons and armor out of it.
Actually, there's no reference to any mithril weapons. All weapons that have a material specified are iron or steel. The only mithril items mentioned are the gates of Minas Tirith, the afore-mentioned Iithilien, and Bilbo's coat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2010, 09:40:47 am »

Calling HFS the circus is stupid. The metaphors don't even accurately camouflage what is happening. It'd be better to talk plainly or not at all, since the circus metaphors have no element of concealment in them. It's just a way to get around the fact that you are supposed to use spoiler tags in spoilers. Absolutely stupid and pointless. I see what you did with it, but it doesn't make calling HFS the circus any less stupid.

Mana...
To understand that word you really need to immerse yourself in the cultures that created the word, not those who ripped off the word. People who ripped it off were basically looking for something to call a source of magic, and picked that particular word in a mistaken understanding of what it was. It's really closer to "soul" than what it is used for, although it is also life essence, presence, and chutzpa.

Spoiler: Dwarf Fortress gods (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Engraving (click to show/hide)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2010, 12:24:15 pm »

There are currently gods in the game. Demons can be worshiped, so killing them kills a god. Elvish gods are of a similar nature. Dwarven and human beginning gods aren't currently walking around, but I don't think it will be too much longer now.
Demons aren't gods. Just because they are worshipped doesn't mean they're gods. There's quite some worship for real life persons (examples including saints and founders of religions) and those are definitely not gods.
Elvish gods are of the same nature as dwarven and human gods, they don't roam the world. So, no, gods don't exist in the game. Today himself said so.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2010, 01:06:35 pm »

Ah sorry. Well the main point of that post was the story I felt like sharing, not the inane dialect. If changing all the words to demon, hell, heavan, god, and so forth would make you happy, I still feel it would have the same point as before.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]