Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Does Adamantine Glow?  (Read 7138 times)

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does Adamantine Glow?
« on: November 24, 2010, 04:27:24 pm »

In the more "story driven" Dwarf Fortress (aka, 2D) killing the big bad Demon that destroys your fortress causes all of the Adamantine in that fortress to turn into galena. This implies that Adamantine isn't a teal colored metal, but is a silver colored metal that glows teal. Since Toady took a lot of inspiration from Lord of the Rings when designing DF, and used Mithril as a comparison for Adamantine in particular, it would make sense that he combined the best aspects of both Mithril (silver colored) and mythical (the blue glow of Sting looks oddly similar to the teal color of Adamantine) to make DF's God Metal.

This would also make sense from a "canon" standpoint, since mana (aka, lifeforce of the Gods) is often given a blue aura (aka, glowing) appearance, and since Adamantine is imbued with the lifeforce of Armok/The Gods, the metal would clearly glow.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does Adamantine Glow?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 04:29:21 pm »

If you see something glow with regards to adamantine, you should run, run away. And don't stop running.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:29:39 pm »

This would also make sense from a "canon" standpoint, since mana (aka, lifeforce of the Gods) is often given a blue aura (aka, glowing) appearance, and since Adamantine is imbued with the lifeforce of Armok/The Gods, the metal would clearly glow.

Isn't this just speculation? As far as I know, Toady has never confirmed any of this.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 04:34:27 pm »

Isn't this just speculation? As far as I know, Toady has never confirmed any of this.

Most of the indicators are pointing towards Adamantine glows.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 04:58:48 pm »

WHAT indicators? For goodness' sake, man, you're tying in a lot of mythology and pop culture that has nothing to do with DF and then adding some incredible logic leaps. This is what TVtropes does to a human being, isn't it. It's totally cool to imagine adamantine glowing, but there is NOTHING in DF to force you to make that decision with your imagination.

Mithril connection: Why? Why not connect adamantine instead to uses of the word adamantine in mythology? The Greek Titan Cronus castrated his father with an adamant sickle. Perseus used an adamantine sword to kill Medusa. Hell, even in modern culture there are uses of the word 'adamantine' as a substance, not just as a quality. Look at Paradise Lost, for instance.

Blue sword: Really? Really? The reason you've compared the blue glow of the orc-slaying swords to adamantine's teal color is because of movies in which the movie artists have made the swords glow with a teal color.

Mana as lifeforce of the gods: I think you've been playing too many jrpgs and saving too many Mana Trees in order to help the Mana Goddess. 'Mana' does not mean what you think it means. IIt's a Polynesian term used to refer to a general lifeforce in all things, not gods. More than that, I have absoutely no idea where you're getting the idea that the universal lifeforce is blue colored.

Also, Armok is not a God in DF. It's a reference to an older game where ARM_OK was a check to see if the character's arm was still attached or something along those lines. There are no indicators pointing towards adamantine glowing except those in your own imagination. I wouldn't be so bothered by this except for the way you're insisting with null and shoddyevidence that something is true, and that kind of behavior really gets my goat.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 05:03:19 pm »

If adamantine was glowing the glowing pits nearby would not be described as glowing; hence it is not.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 05:18:15 pm »

One would imagine that if it glowed, that the area around it would be "light" and not "dark", sinc it isn't, we can assume that it doesn't glow.

Or...

You can imagine whatever you want, since DF is to computer games what books are to movies, where we get to imagine what everything looks like beyond what the book has said.

Also you can't really say that mana is the lifeforce of beings, you can't really translate it into words in English, it's like the concept of Ubuntu, it's best just to leave it in it's original language.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 05:23:57 pm »

I personally think Adamantine is a dull, solid dark-teal color. However, it's extremely glossy, and even the faintest forms of light reflect off it, making it stand out amongst other stones.

Like this, only a deeper shade, smooth, and mostly a solid color.

*totally making this up as i go along*
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 05:35:19 pm »

Wasn't Mana some sort of bread that Mosses managed to summon to feed his people?

Or was it spelled Manna? Either way, Adamantine is now bread! You're mining bread for FUN!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 05:53:32 pm »

I think Canuhearmenow is trolling you people.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 06:08:44 pm »

I think Canuhearmenow is trolling you people.
Or maybe he just decided to start a discussion about the nature of adamantine in DF and made a few logical leaps with his theories, resulting in people going absolutely APESHIT, calling him out, and assuming he's trolling.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 06:21:53 pm »

Who in this thread has gone
APESHIT
?

As far as I can tell, I'm probably the most vitrolic person in this thread, and nowhere do I attack the OP's intellect, just his statements. There was a lot of incredulity, but I've also spent the morning explaining the science behind climate change to conservatives so I'm afraid the mood of that carried over to here. I'm really exhausted by the way a lot of people make assumptions and logical leaps with way too much ease.

APESHIT
would be if there were personal attacks on the OP's brain size, lucidity, genital size, use of drugs, mother's sexual proclivities, etc. No one here has done that. I would say people reacted strongly, but words like
APESHIT
lose their power if you throw them around willy-nilly, you know?
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 06:30:04 pm »

Most of the indicators are pointing towards Adamantine glows.
I'm not talking about adamantine glowing. I'm talking about it being the metal of the gods. As far as I've seen gods have no influence in DF beyond the people who worship them. They don't have any physical form. Armok isn't even a figure of worship. So why do people say adamantine is god metal? And why are you talking about mana? Is that even in DF?

All I know about adamantine is that harvesting to much of it pisses off the clowns. Seems like it belongs to them rather than some god that may or may not exist.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 08:20:24 pm »

Who in this thread has gone
APESHIT
?

As far as I can tell, I'm probably the most vitrolic person in this thread, and nowhere do I attack the OP's intellect, just his statements. There was a lot of incredulity, but I've also spent the morning explaining the science behind climate change to conservatives so I'm afraid the mood of that carried over to here. I'm really exhausted by the way a lot of people make assumptions and logical leaps with way too much ease.

APESHIT
would be if there were personal attacks on the OP's brain size, lucidity, genital size, use of drugs, mother's sexual proclivities, etc. No one here has done that. I would say people reacted strongly, but words like
APESHIT
lose their power if you throw them around willy-nilly, you know?

I feel your pain.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 08:51:46 pm »

DF Adamantine: A Substance that is known to either seal magical demons, or grow from hell. It is known for being a metal. It is known for being cloth. I oftern causes miners to be priased. Its chemical structure most closely resembles microcline.

Nope, nothing about glowing, or gods, or lots of stuff.

I like to think it is demon poop, that they used to try and stop outsiders from comming into hell, because they find demon poop so gross and all, and they don't like outsiders, so they go apeshit when you break in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5