Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My mayor requires a dining room...  (Read 669 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
My mayor requires a dining room...
« on: November 24, 2010, 04:21:29 pm »

How should I go about this? Can I make it overlap with his study, assign him a table in the main dining room, or make a new room entirely?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: My mayor requires a dining room...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 04:23:35 pm »

Yes, yes, and yes. I would recommend the first one.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:33:29 pm »

Any one of these would work.  Just be aware that if you overlap rooms, the value of the overlapped tiles is split between the rooms.  For instance - if you have a room with 10,000 dorfbux worth of furniture and engravings and designate 2 rooms in it, each will have a value of only 5,000.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »

however, once you have 40,000 dorfbucks worth in a room then every room designated within it will be legendary.

I have an office suite setup, bunch of chairs and tables for various nobles/admin types to have offices and dining rooms, just slap an artifact in the corner
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 04:42:33 pm »

Just be aware that if you overlap rooms, the value of the overlapped tiles is split between the rooms.  For instance - if you have a room with 10,000 dorfbux worth of furniture and engravings and designate 2 rooms in it, each will have a value of only 5,000.
This isn't quite true. Rather, all rooms that overlap another room take a 3/4 hit in value, so any and all rooms in that chamber with 10,000 Urists of furniture will be worth 2,500 Urists, regardless of whether there's 2 or 20 rooms in the chamber.

celem's statement that a chamber with 40,000+ Urists making all statements therein be legendary is correct, of course, as legendary is 10,000+. It is often cheaper to make one large chamber and put all of your nobles' rooms in it rather than make one chamber for each noble (which is in turn cheaper than making 4 chambers for each noble), though don't forget that nobles can get unhappy thoughts if someone they outrank has as nice or nicer a room than them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 04:56:12 pm »

Overlap the rooms and put an artifact furniture object in the room. That boost up the room value hugely.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 05:08:42 pm »

Engrave everything, that way you can create value without blowing a lot on furniture. Put in a marble or metal door.

I personally LIKE making a Nobles-Only wing/floor. I like the designing forts aspect of the game more than the running forts aspect of the game.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 05:25:50 pm »

Build a separate dining room. A smoothed 5x5 room with a table, four chairs, and four statues gets you a Decent dining room, which is all the mayor requires.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:16:03 pm by AngleWyrm »

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 05:38:05 pm »

I make seperate rooms for my mayor and nobles. 6x6, smoothed floors, engraved walls, and I like to make all the furniture out of gold. On some maps, the gold is native. On others, I have to request it. Until the gold furniture is made, I just shove in the best stone furniture I have. Masterwork doors and masterwork furniture with everything smoothed will generally make a room of high enough value that your first nobles are happy. Engraving everything and making their furniture (other than beds) out of gold or higher value metals will leave them happy no matter what happens.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!