Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need a new computer, budget $1,000  (Read 1958 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a new computer, budget $1,000
« on: November 24, 2010, 04:13:26 pm »

Long story short, my computer's fucked. So, I need a new computer. I have $1,000 to spend, give or take a few hundred-So max is 1,300-1,500 USD. I need a computer that has a graphics card equivalent or higher than the Nvidia 9600 GT, and preferably a Quad-Core processor. I looked at ibuypowers website, but when I customized a starting 1,000 computer it ended at like 5,000.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new computer, budget $1,000
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 04:16:31 pm »

First things first: are you comfortable with building it yourself?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:18:23 pm »

Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 04:21:02 pm »

First things first: are you comfortable with building it yourself?
My mom said no on that, mainly because she wants a warranty on it. And I'm a shitty customizer with things like iBuyPowers website's computer customizer. I end up WAY over-spending.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 04:23:06 pm »

Ummm, you do realise you still get warranty on the parts, right? Like, if you assemble it all yourself.
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 04:25:53 pm »

Ummm, you do realise you still get warranty on the parts, right? Like, if you assemble it all yourself.
I tried explaining that to her, but she's stubborn beyond words. I just looked at newegg and I saw this. Does it look worth-the-money?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 04:27:11 pm »

Well, no. You really dont need that if  you are going to use it for gaming.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 04:28:51 pm »

Well, no. You really dont need that if  you are going to use it for gaming.
Not to mention the only review has this little gem:

Cons: The ATI 5870 video card was too large for the case but was jammed in anyway. It was twisted in the motherboard making bad connections and the card was twisted so bad the top was 1/4" separated from the body and the cables were pinched where they were pressed up against the chassis.
and
25 out of 25 people found this review helpful.

Yeeeaaahhhh, no.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 04:30:20 pm »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227303
Here what seems to be a nice one, for a moderately cheap price. 4 gigs is more than enough for gaming, and you can always kick in another plank or two if you want.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 04:34:45 pm »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227303
Here what seems to be a nice one, for a moderately cheap price. 4 gigs is more than enough for gaming, and you can always kick in another plank or two if you want.
Thanks pillow, I looked at that and it looks very nice. If my computeres FBR(Fucked Beyond Repair) then I think I'll be buying that.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 11:43:57 pm »

You said your budget was $1,000 with a max maybe of $1,500.  How could you purchase a $2,000 computer anyway?!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 11:47:10 pm »

What's sad is I could build you that computer for $600.

>.>

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 12:57:44 am »

What's sad is I could build you that computer for $600.

>.>
I havn't bought it yet. Could we, erm, work out a deal?

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 02:22:25 am »

Could your mom be swayed by proof?  I'm sure you could dig up the warranty information on this stuff pretty easily.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 12:12:21 pm »

Personally, I'd stay away from iBuyPower and PowerPC (I'm fairly sure they're part of the same company). I bought a computer from them on Newegg (the computer I'm using now) and the motherboard and RAM both had issues with it; I email to see what I should do (having done everything in my fairly extensive knowledge to test both parts beforehand and coming up with some pretty bad results) and get a response a week later, my next email was met with a two week response time and I just got fed up with it. After looking into the issue, I found I wasn't the only one with similar issues (and they've had numerous complaints from the Better Business Bureau.)

If you want a computer that's within a $1000 price range from them, yeah, you'll probably regret it and end up having to replace pieces of it as you go (or face a couple weeks without a computer as they ship you a replacement). They're EXTREMELY hit-or-miss. I did, however, like the clean install (without the trashy "HP/Gateway/etc junkware") and it ran beautifully until I started getting bluescreened by junk parts.

To be honest, I was intending on replacing it piece by piece as I went (I now have a nice motherboard and a new pair of 2GB sticks in it, and room for two more where I didn't have before) but I didn't plan on having to do it so soon. My next piece will probably end up being the video card, or perhaps the processor... but first I'd likely look into a bigger power supply, and maybe a slightly more robust cooling system.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:22:04 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: [1] 2