Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to create creatures in any way using custom reactions?  (Read 734 times)

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know it's possible to smelt vermin-sized animals, but it is possible to smelt or produce grown animals at a custom workshop?

I'm asking because I am interested in making a golem fortress mod where small, weak, but clever living 'architects' handle all the golem construction, crafting, and bookkeeping, while golems handle all the fighting, farming, mining, and such. Different golems made of different materials would have varying levels of natural skill in various areas. Wood golems would be natural farmers and haulers (probably at proficient level or so, to encourage the production of more than one), metal golems would be defenders with varying skills based on material (coppers would have maybe skilled combat skills, iron would be accomplished, bronze grand master, and so on) and rock golems could be miners and wood-cutters. Golems would have tags limiting non focus skill growth to zero. Golems could also have varying speeds: Adamantine golems would probably be very fast and make great defenders OR haulers OR miners, and might even be able to learn non-brute labor skills like how to craft golems.

I am thinking that golems would have to be sub-castes of the architect race, much like soldier ants are sub-castes of the antmen.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to create creatures in any way using custom reactions?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 03:27:29 pm »

No.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 03:56:14 pm »

Custom reactions and memory hacking could do...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 04:06:06 pm »

Nope. Even the vermin you can create don't function properly.

This seems to be one of the more common modding questions.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 05:53:31 pm »

One of the more common modding questions that gets answered with "no," anyway.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.