Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improvements for slabs/memorials  (Read 523 times)

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improvements for slabs/memorials
« on: November 24, 2010, 01:21:32 pm »

First of all, I'm very pleased with having memorials available.  I found them quite useful at the end of my first winter when seven ice-skating dwarves suddenly plunged to their cold, watery deaths.  However, there are a few areas that could use some polish:

1. In the build menu, I'd like to be able to distinguish between carved memorials (which I want to place) and uncarved slabs (which should remain in storage).  Even better if I can select which memorial by name, so the soldier memorials go in the barracks, the mason memorials go in the work room, the hammerer memorials go in the dungeon, etc.

2. On the carve memorial screen, I'd like some way to know which dwarves already have at least 1 memorial already carved for them.  I carved memorials for Urist McIceskater 1 through 6, got distracted, then had to look at all the finished slabs to figure out the name of Urist McIceskater 7, which I had missed.  Maybe some sort of color-change system like with the room assignment lists would work.

*. For all I know this is already implemented, and my dwarves are too boring/engravers too green to show it - Memorials can include engravings of the memorialized dwarf doing something:
"There is an engraving of Urist McAxedwarf and a goblin.  The goblin is headless.  This refers to Urist's slaying of Snotbox Grumpypants the goblin pikeman in 354."
"There is an engraving of Urist McFarmer and a field.  Urist is laboring.  This refers to Urist becoming a planter in 356."
"There is an engraving of Urist McGemdwarf and Shinyrock the perfect large peridot.  Urist is holding Shinyrock.  This refers to the crafting of Shinyrock by Urist in 372."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Improvements for slabs/memorials
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »

1. Press "x" on the select item screen.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:44:38 pm »

bump
LOSING IS FUN!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:02:03 pm »

... Why would you bump this? 

Toady (eventually) will read everything, and if nobody has bothered to comment, and if you have nothing useful to comment on the subject, there's no reason to push it to the top.

If we start having people bumping all their favorite suggestions, pretty soon this will be nothing but a contest of people trying to keep their suggestions on the front page against all the other people bumping.

It's fine to bring back a thread if you honestly want to contribute to it, and have something meaningful to say, but don't just bump things...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare