Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Forgottenn beast: Or "I am SO FCKED"  (Read 2751 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
New Forgottenn beast: Or "I am SO FCKED"
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:00:51 am »

ok so about a day ago I got my firs Forgotten beast "Anon! the blob of Snow!" yeah thats right a beast made of snow.  Two soap makers killed it.
As if acting upon some karmic balance, just now I got "CETHURA! a Gigantic Humanoid made of Flame! beware it's poisons breath!"

So.... yeah.... Should I just abandon now and leave? Or is there some way of killing this thing
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
Re: New Forgottenn beast: Or "I am SO FCKED"
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:02:13 am »

cavein plz

wall it off, if it breathes on a dwarf quarintine the entire area
i like goats

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:07:44 am »

OH DEAR GOD!
A dwarf out cutting some tower caps got to close.  The flames! This dwarf had like a dozen cats following him and they are on fire now!
Oh sweet Armok! I am walling up the Underworld now... May those inside die swift!

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:12:06 am »

i remember my first titan

was an EYELESS bee with a poisonous sting and feathers

was so heavy took my dwarves 5 minutes in real life at 70 FPS to get it 30 tiles to butchery
i like goats

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 10:20:08 am »

Forgotten beasts are fun to deal with. If you don't have military, try to take advantage of its building destroyer tag. The presence of that tag causes them to halways smash any building in close proximity. They simply can't resist doing so. So you could, say, lure it into a graveyard, have it smash a bunch of coffins, and wall it inside while it is busy doing so.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:32:55 am »

If you get a forgotten beast made of flames, kill it with ranged weapons - when it dies, it will explode into a cloud of flame that will instantly melt the fat off of any dwarf within range, resulting in swift death by blood loss.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zhulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:53:19 am »

Am I the only one who found the snowblob's name chuckleworthy? It probably had [NO_FORGIVE] and [NO_FORGET] somewhere in its raws.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 11:06:10 am »

I was actually slightly worried at first because as a "blob" it has no vitals, no head to smash or arms to lop off, but apparently it was still easily dealt with. Best part about it, it exploded into water upon dying.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 11:20:50 am »

Hah! That's why I try to make all areas leading to the caverns into small labyrinths made out of fortifications and doors, put a couple strategically-placed ballistas around in case I'm lucky, and train a whole squad of markswarves.
I never get to crush these things under an epic cave-in fast enough.  :'(

... now, that kind of monster should be weaponized. Can you imagine the potential carnage if unleashed on a siege?!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Egifer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 11:49:58 am »

That reminds me of the forgotten beast that visited me yesterday

"Nuwtha Apufi Tharama, A huge humanoid composed of vomit, beware it's deadly dust!"

It wasn't that tough and was cut in half prety fast leaving two huge piles of vomit  :D

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:30:24 pm »

Yeah, anything made of liquid/powder/gas (including the Human Torch in the first post) is easy to kill (not taking into account how easily it kills you back) because your weapons go through them like a lightsaber through styrophoam.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 01:45:28 pm »

Which would explain how I killed him with minimal causalities.
Yeah, finally worked up the courage to go after him as he had ket me from much of the Underground and more importantly Magma forges.
Dispatched him with the death of only two wrestlers but now I have a new curiousity.

"Cethura's flames"

they should up in my refuse pile.  Can I use them like bones? Can I make a flaming bone helmet? cause that would rock!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 01:49:31 pm »

Some FB's are very fragile and can be slain by a kitten. Others are nearly indestructible and will inflict devastating plagues onto your fortress.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 03:08:51 pm »

Don't worry, your next one will be made of steel, and with have blood that will rot your dwarfs spines.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 03:31:24 pm »

In one of my first forts I (Before I didn't know I didn't need that much farm space) I built 5 10x10 farms. Then roofed a two layer fort on top of them made of marble. Sometime after I built the walls and was finishing up the roof I had three forgotten between show up in short order, all of them with wings, two of them made of flame or breathed it, and one of them a blob. (The actual fortress was little more then farms and a still. As I'd made the above ground fortress a priority.)

The first one was killed by a siege after I walled off access to the underground. The second and third lost their wings to other sieges. I ended up with a wingless blob of flame patrolling the outside of my fort for some years continually setting the grass on fire. Killing off some 75+ invaders for me. (I started using 'U' bends and magma dropped into them to make instant obsidian walls after that.)

It was fun watching the trolls charge the blob, then later stagger out of the smoke beaten and bloody while I didn't have to do anything. ^.^
Pages: [1] 2