Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: CATS!!!  (Read 2810 times)

kaz420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CATS!!!
« on: November 24, 2010, 03:33:17 am »

can i just get of them from the raw files?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: CATS!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 03:35:54 am »

That made no sense. I assume you want to get rid of them, correct?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

kaz420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 03:40:14 am »

yeah can i delete them from the raws?

kaz420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 03:42:54 am »

nvmd i can

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 03:47:46 am »

epic thread

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 05:50:15 am »

Cats are useful. Just kill off every female cat you get and leave male ones. As for me, i dont want vermins eating my food and lurking at stockpiles causing bad thoughts. So cats are useful. And they are so cute)

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:16:58 am »

Honestly I don't much care for the fur balls either. They're somewhat useful, but there's no stable population control. Early on, they explode, and later when something significant (siege, giant cave spiders, titan, giant cave spiders ...) comes along it paints the walls red with them.

(Although it was funny then 30+ cats race to try to kill a single rat in a flooding tunnel they can't quite reach ... in .16)

There are not any other vermin hunters are there? Like a special cast of giant tigers with the [LIKES_FIGHTING] tag? Maybe slightly larger spiders that web the vermin? That way when the population explodes, they're be useful beyond frame rate KiddyMcSuicide. (I once saw three giant war lions take down a titan because it kept latching on and it couldn't fight back.)

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 07:24:31 am »

Cats are useful. Just kill off every female cat you get and leave male ones. As for me, i dont want vermins eating my food and lurking at stockpiles causing bad thoughts. So cats are useful. And they are so cute)

Vermin eat your food stockpile, they become your food stockpile.  It's a problem that solves itself.  Happy thoughts are a luxury reserved for nobility.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 11:56:58 am »

There are not any other vermin hunters are there? Like a special cast of giant tigers with the [LIKES_FIGHTING] tag?

There aren't any I can think of off the top of my head. You could always add the [VERMIN_HUNTER] (or whatever it is) tag, but the problem with that is that is changes the creature's AI package. Whatever you added it to would start to act like a cat as far as wandering about and adopting (i.e. mind controlling) your dwarfs.

ElTacoLad

• Bay Watcher
  • I AM The Taco Lad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 12:57:32 pm »

Just forbid them from being taken as pets the moment they are born, and then butcher them for their delicious cat biscuits.
treat it like royalty, obviously.
Quote from:  Eviltyphoon
magma
Aren't these the same thing? 
KG

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:02:00 pm »

There are not any other vermin hunters are there? Like a special cast of giant tigers with the [LIKES_FIGHTING] tag?

There aren't any I can think of off the top of my head. You could always add the [VERMIN_HUNTER] (or whatever it is) tag, but the problem with that is that is changes the creature's AI package. Whatever you added it to would start to act like a cat as far as wandering about and adopting (i.e. mind controlling) your dwarfs.

just adding that tag to my current 40 elephants and releasing them .. yaaay fun ^^

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 01:09:20 pm »

What about an army of trappers instead?  I've never tried it, but I expect you can bar cats from the fortress and rely on sheer dwarf power to do vermin control.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 01:10:33 pm »

I decided to do away with the FPS drain from having war beasts and vermin hunters, so now I just breed Crocodile Monitors, a type of real life lizard that can grow to be larger than a man. They have clutches of 7-17 eggs, but take 4 years to grow to their full battle size. Dwarf Fortress can't currently model the actual colouration of a Crocodile Monitor, so it's stuck with turtle colours for the while. Also, I've screwed up somewhere and the "c" symbol I use for them doesn't work, they just show up as off-yellow squares. If anyone could tell me which obvious mistake I've made this time, I'd be very grateful.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 01:15:20 pm »

Just forbid them from being taken as pets the moment they are born, and then butcher them for their delicious cat biscuits.

That's the problem, though.  You can't forbid cats as pets, because the cat (or other VERMIN_HUNTER) chooses its own slave owner.  That's why cats are listed as "uninterested" rather than as "unavailable".

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 01:47:37 pm »

Just build a cage next to your Depot, put the cats in when they are born, and sell them off after there's 50 or so. Too much clutter results from having to butcher them all.

I don't mind cats because I'm pretty good about managing them. The problem is migrants with cat pets that basically force your population to expand.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3