Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: CATS!!!  (Read 2795 times)

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CATS!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 02:08:10 pm »

If anyone could tell me which obvious mistake I've made this time, I'd be very grateful.

You need to put single quote marks around the c in your tile selection, like so:

[CREATURE_TILE:'c']

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 02:09:36 pm »

Um.. Can you actually sell caged animals now?

P.S. Cheers Lord Aldrich. It was, as I suspected, a blindingly obvious oversight on my part. You're welcome to use the Crocodile lizards, you know :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 02:13:16 pm »

Assuming none have been adopted, cage all but one female. She makes kittens. You cage kittens till they become cats. Then you eat the cats.

Cats are useful. Just kill off every female cat you get and leave male ones. As for me, i dont want vermins eating my food and lurking at stockpiles causing bad thoughts. So cats are useful. And they are so cute)

Vermin eat your food stockpile, they become your food stockpile.  It's a problem that solves itself.  Happy thoughts are a luxury reserved for nobility.

By "happy thoughts," do you mean "magma baths"?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 02:30:09 pm »

...the problem with that is that is changes the creature's AI package...

I was hoping the the [LIKES_FIGHTING] tag would fix the issue of them running like small ... kittens ... so I wouldn't care if they were enslaving my dwarfs, they'd also be actively defending them. However, that's dog like behavior, not cat like. Something somewhat useful beyond FPS poison.

Oh well, thanks. :) I think I'll just strip the raw files of vermin and cats (save for the spiders) next time I generate a world. No vermin, no need for vermin hunters, no need to spend time hauling their rotting corpses, and no FPS poison. (Not sure I didn't just try that sooner though.) Someone should suggest a 'No Vermin' switch.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re:CATS!!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 03:47:54 pm »

I am currently runnning a fortress that survives almost entirely off of cat products. I encountered this problem early on: the problem of adoption.

The best solution is to kill all dwarves who have a preference for cats. Cats will only adopt Dwarves who "like cats for their aloofness." Just put all of your immigrants/new children through a screening. Any offenders should experience an Unfortunate Accident of your choice.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 03:51:47 pm »

Panthera Leo, if there is no vermin, then there is no fishing. Fisherman catch vermin fish, not things like carp and pike.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 04:02:35 pm »

Also, no cave spider silk, only the GCS silk, which, obviously, is infinitely more dangerous.

No cats = No vermin = no fishing
                             = no silk clothes industry = rope reed only = Trading with the elves.

DO YOU SEE NOW, WHAT YOU HAVE WROUGHT?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 04:36:00 pm »

I thought about the fish, but I don't do fishing. It's usually a great deal of trouble to protect fishers. By the point I can safely protect my fishers I've already got a thriving farm or three going and can grow or butcher my own food inside the safety of my fort. (The craft income is nice though.) The thought of losing the fish troubled be just long enough to realize I didn't care. :P

Also, I also made exception for the spiders.  :P

...I think I'll just strip the raw files of vermin and cats (save for the spiders)...

Speaking of silk ... Do GCS pets still make silk? (I tried once and failed at that. I was thinking about modding in some Gaint War Spiders with the [LIKES_FIGHTING] tag to see if I could get them to web someone, but never got around to it.)

Edit: Which would be really nice because I remember reader webs will kill vermin. That would be another cause to see to my cats go to a better place ... (or tag them as vermin.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:41:32 pm by Panthera Leo »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 04:57:55 pm »

If you have tame GCS (or other spiders) they will indeed throw silk, but they'll need a target. A handy little corridor, with a chained prisoner, a chained spider and a bridge does wonders. If you set the bridge to go off when someone passes over a pressure plate, any dwarf with the silk retrieval job will automatically trigger the bridge, preventing further web firing and allowing the weaver to collect the thrown webs without being scared by the chained enemy. Also, on their way out, they trip the pressure plate and firing resumes. It's not foolproof, especially if you have more than one collect web job going at the same time, but it's pretty damn good.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 05:28:52 pm »

Fishing used to be much more important for the turtle and mussel shells for moody dwarves, but since Toady fixed that behavior, it is true that fishing isn't as important. However, a couple of fishermen out fishing is good for setting off ambushes, which returns some FPS--- and I'm fine with them dieing. I'll get more fisherdwarves in future migrant waves. Or can always appoint a useless dwarf to the task.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 05:42:39 pm »

If you want a quick way to kill off all existing and future cats in your fort w/o regen remove their brains from the raws.
You can also set their max age to 1 year so they die as soon as they become an adult. How ever the ones currently in your fort will (Or used to as of the last time I tried this) become immortal.

Way back in my 40d days I had a mod that gave me a cave dwelling worm with the vermin_hunter tag. One embark I had, had  an open chasm with about 20 of the blighters.  As soon as I unpaused my woodcutter adopted all of them. It was rather humorous watching the worms come charging up to their owner only to scare him - and everyone else  - away.  Things went well after I worm proofed my fort until the year that the caravan spawned next to  several of the worms.

The blood bath was glorious.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 11:41:58 pm »

-snip-
Wait a moment. . .
He adopted. . .
Wild animals?
What an idiot.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 03:30:27 am »

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 06:59:35 am »

Cats are great, they're the only useful cattle there is.  8)
Derp.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 07:35:19 am »

Two comments:

1) You can get dwarves to do the job of cats as far as vermin is concerned. There's even an industry for processing certain vermin, e.g. liquid fire from lava snakes.

2) If you like fishing, you can arrange for a shelter where they fish - through grates or wells.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2] 3