Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: If the forums were a fortress...  (Read 18919 times)

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
If the forums were a fortress...
« on: November 24, 2010, 02:29:10 am »

What job do you think you would have?

Someone's gotta make that cheese.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: If the forums were a fortress...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 02:30:44 am »

Mechanic!
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 02:34:15 am »

I'd be the dwarf you turned all the labors off and forgot to turn new ones on for so he just bums around the dining room all the time.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 02:41:57 am »

Bean counter who likes to brag how nice his room is.

(I promote the Genesis mod)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:43:47 am »

Some dwarf with all labors turned on

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 02:58:56 am »

If the forums were a fortress...
  ...we would use euclidean geometries only when it happened to be convenient.
  ...every place between the planet's core and the edges of the cosmos would have been struck at least once. Oh wait, Kamina's motto. More than everything would have been struck at least once.
  ...towers would grow wherever we set our meeting hall(s).
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 03:27:16 am »

Fortress? surely you mean retreat?

I'd like to be the philosopher but I don't fill that role on the forums so I'd have to be a mechanic.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 03:45:45 am »

I'd be a War Dragon.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 03:51:47 am »

I'd be the pet Mew-Mew.
*Hugs*

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 03:56:00 am »

Microline. It's everywhere and slightly annoying.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

IpunchFaces

• Bay Watcher
  • "Incessant cackling surrounds you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 04:21:39 am »

There's no 'Nurse' job in DF (I'm working as one), So I suppose to closest to that would be a doctor.

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 04:54:16 am »

Every single one of the dwarves in the fortress has seen generations of dwarves die hideously, and in most cases, were dumping seething hot molten rock all over everything. I'd say we are all completely immune to tragedy. Everyone here seems largely helpful, if occasionally opinionated. We are unlikely to produce a tantrum spiral. All of us play Dwarf Fortress, so we are all ecstatic. We would definitely be at war with the elves.
I'm doubting we have many military dwarves here, (being as that our modern military rarely trains people in axedwarvesship) so our fortress defense would most likely rely heavily on traps. Ostensibly, most of us remember to put on clothes, so nakedness is likely not an issue. The female/male ratio is quite off, so we rely on migrants for population growth. Every migrant to Forum Fortress shows up with negative skills, and takes at least 10 game years if not longer to be proficient. Luckily even the worst newb has to be at least 16x better at following simple instructions, so in some ways they would be handier than your average migrant.
All in all, aside from the ASTRONOMICALLY high risk of someone drowning Forum Fortress in magma, I think we'd be a pretty productive, resilient, and peaceful fort.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 07:03:36 am »

Every single one of the dwarves in the fortress has seen generations of dwarves die hideously, and in most cases, were dumping seething hot molten rock all over everything. I'd say we are all completely immune to tragedy. Everyone here seems largely helpful, if occasionally opinionated. We are unlikely to produce a tantrum spiral. All of us play Dwarf Fortress, so we are all ecstatic. We would definitely be at war with the elves.
I'm doubting we have many military dwarves here, (being as that our modern military rarely trains people in axedwarvesship) so our fortress defense would most likely rely heavily on traps. Ostensibly, most of us remember to put on clothes, so nakedness is likely not an issue. The female/male ratio is quite off, so we rely on migrants for population growth. Every migrant to Forum Fortress shows up with negative skills, and takes at least 10 game years if not longer to be proficient. Luckily even the worst newb has to be at least 16x better at following simple instructions, so in some ways they would be handier than your average migrant.
All in all, aside from the ASTRONOMICALLY high risk of someone drowning Forum Fortress in magma, I think we'd be a pretty productive, resilient, and peaceful fort.

Thankfully 4Chan hasn't found this or we would be facing a goblin siege. Then we would be doomed, untill an admin edit's the raws.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 07:09:33 am »

Fisherdwarf.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile