Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: /v/ next attempt!  (Read 11228 times)

DiscoPony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: /v/ next attempt!
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2010, 09:34:44 am »

No kidding.  Come on folks, at least tell us if you can't play your turn.

William Walker

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't believe the internet
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2010, 04:11:19 am »

Crashmaster is next, I hope he replies if not Neopolis is next, unless he is also a fanatic follower of The Idleidlers of Idle.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2010, 12:33:34 pm »

Is anyone PMing those people? Do they get an email if they are PMed?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:19 pm »

downloaded

vidyabro

• Bay Watcher
  • GET$MONEY$$$$$$$$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2010, 03:11:44 pm »

No kidding.  Come on folks, at least tell us if you can't play your turn.
ive had this thread in my bookmarks toolbar
with that said, i'd advise anyone in the list to do the same so they dont forget.
FRESH=MONEY

William Walker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2010, 02:50:35 pm »

DiscoPony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2010, 11:06:06 pm »

Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, can we get a front page update?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2010, 11:20:51 pm »

downloaded
Then what did you do?
first this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
as is is pointless to search for it

Then I messed around with trying to figure out why the game was intermittently hanging up. It would just stop for 1-5 seconds and max out processor usage whether using graphics or not. I didn't have anything running in the backgound that isn't there when I normally play. Seemed to be fixed by isolating DF to a real and it's virtual core which I didn't do with previous releases because it gave no FPS improvements and made the music skip.

Before I into the update, this is my first suckcesion game blah blah blah, spring was kinda a weak effort as I took forever to get a clue what was going on and where it was going at.

My name is Crashmaster Oliletur, that's riight, Crashmaster Oliletur. You may remember me from the mountain homes, but what you don't know is that for the past three years I've been a deputy bowyer in Horseanus.

At least I had been, untill our 'glorious' leader Vidyabro Shincatten [/spit] asked me to just see after the continuing construction of some apartments. Once I had 'managed' to 'oversee' this little task I went back to see what my next orders were to be. He asked with a decidedly evil little smile, 'Why would a simple dyer be giving out orders?' At this point the construction crew caught up to me and started asking a litany of idiotic questions on the placement of coffers and I realized what had happened. I should have known not to trust someone with 'cat' in their name.

It is typical to abandon leadership duties when things are going wrong but everything seemed fine. I wondered what secret horrors may haunt him.

3rd Granite
I didn't see anyone die in here. I'll have to look into this after I familiarize myself with more of the fortress operations.

-God-forsaken Pregnancy, I'll say, of the 62 dwarves here there are 14 children.
-The broker says he has no office, yet he no longer needs one. Way to work yourself out of a cushy job buddy.
-Watched over the completion of linking security bridge to it's controls and noticed that all the other controls were unlabeled. Well I do like to gamble (still one next to a floodgate I don't know about).
-After touring the new bridge to the caverns and having the passage opened up I was unhappy to note that it gave us access to the edge of a cliff that leads nowhere. I guess that's for the best for now but I did order some stairs, floors, more stairs and more floors put in to at least get at some of the wood that was just out of reach and an access tunnel dug to get at some of the gold that the caverns are quite rich in.

-While mining gold is always good especially when you need to keep idle dwarves busy,
all surveys are reporting no sign of any coal, lignite or iron ores can be seen. This concerns me greatly. I increase the production of trade goods and review the fortresses stocks. Hmm, curious, it seems that quite alot of the fortresses clothing and most of the weapons cannot be accounted for. I went to ask Kizbold Erithalath the earliest resident, who journeyed here and started the fortress all by himself you know. He said that it might have something to do with all the migrants Vidyabro locked outside to starve.

I
See.

19 Slate
Some migrants have arrived; a couple with military skills and a adequate strand extractor, c'mon in, there's plenty of warm booze, and be quick because the skeletal muskoxen are away from the entrance right now.
NO! GET BACK! RUN AWAY!
The instant the bridge was 'dropped' the suspiciously crafty (for beasts with no brains) skeletal muskoxen made a beeline for the entrance area.
However luck would be on the side of the living as the migrants stayed where they were. The entrance gate design seemed intended to compensate for a common error in drawbridge architecture and the purpose of the mystery lever was thusly revealed. By the time these things were figured out the skeletal muskoxen had moved off presumably dejected that they had prematurely acted on their surprise attack plan.
-More work is ordered on the apartment complex.

11th Felsite
Blast and darnation, two more babbys, third one for Discopony, profession changed to Dwarven Shield Generator (can't get it to display it all).

1st Hematite
Caged all the young animals, I couldn't get the damn kids in there though - kept getting evil looks - YOU KNOW I'M RIGHT!

-Set up two three-dwarf squads to start training at least some wrestling skills.
-Dammit! everything good here is outside. I beginning the formulation of a daring plan.... daring that is for those who will be called upon to enact it.

3rd Malachite
Daring plans put on hold while preparations for Project; Deep Penetrator are designated
-Something else, another babby I think, but who cares.

10th Malachite

Wait a minute, 'dwarves'? I though Kizbold said he came here with no one else. 'No, no one else,' was all he would say.
-Work on Project; Deep Penetrator begun.

15th Galena
Some migrants arrive, skeletal muskoxen guard the entrance. The migrants are made up of 2 animal trainers, hunter, trapper, fisherdwarf, female pet cat - I stopped looking there, I realized Vidyabro was onto the right idea and left strict orders not to touch the lever.

To be continued.
(I gotta step up my game, these post take a while to sort out)

Sorry for the long time in posting the first update, It took me forever to find a site for Project; Deep Penetrator and the game crashed once while I was rapidly moving up and down lots of z-levels with the screen fully zoomed out.

17 Galena
Food and booze supplies for the miners are set up and mining the shaft of Project; Penetrator has begun. The best six miners out of the lot of us (I've been training myself a bit) are committed to the job now as we strike the earth once again at z-level 93.

19 Galena
Z-level 89, our first accident and just hours after severing our ties with the rest of the fortress. Nomal Regginet decides to take a break and gets himself stranded on a ledge, then jumps off for a drink of booze I can only assume. I fear for the project untill he dwarfs up and starts working again. There's a good dwarf. The ledge will have to be tackled from above now as we have a deadline to meet.

-BAH!, I wish he had died. Now he is taking more and more breaks and requires constant encouragement and prodding to keep him out of the way of the productive ones of us left.

1st Limestone
Tekkud Kosothtashem needs metal bars for a mood, we have naught. The necessary workshops are put in place.

16th Limestone
The last of the migrants are cornered and most are wiped out before the Skoxen wander off, their blood-jealousy sated for the moment.
-gold bars are made then some useless trinket or something.

28th Limestone
The last of the migrants die of thirst. Then more arrive; trapper, woodcrafter, female kitten, ect. I have no use for them but one did drop a steel battle axe. My mind turns to the riches a dwarf could obtain out there if only the Skoxen could be distracted
-Also noticed work in progress of a roof over the courtyard outside. I assign some dwarves to keep it progressing.

7th Sandstone
New batch of migrants are all dead now too.

20th Sandstone
Woody the wrestler of the Autumnal Fortifications (meat squad) fell in battle against a voracious cave crawler as he was defending our territory in the lowest cavern needed for Project; Deep Penetrator. He was avenged by Nil Zafalerush Militia Commander who is important enough to actually have a weapon (silver hammer - nice)

13th Timber

Good news; despite the gimp having been nearly constantly in the way we have reached the planned mid-point at z-level 42 in the shaft only half a month behind schedule. Not a moment too soon for us as we had run out of booze and had to focus on digging the last stretch while dry. As I rushed out of the access point for a drink I was surprised to see...

Bad news; hoards of dwarves rushing into the shaft after the scraps of food we had left over because there was no food left in the fortress. Damn them all, do I have to tell them to do everything? but...

Good news; The outpost Liason and a caravan have arrived...

Bad news; is skeletal and oxen-shaped

-Nomal Regginet decided that without any more mining jobs to get in the way of he might as well just up and die from his injuries. I really hate him even more now.
-The caravan guards seemed have handled the first skeletal oxen handily. although another has chased a cow into the courtyard which it kicks to death quickly. Then it goes down into the trade depot and lies in wait behind a corner... but is swiftly dispatched when the caravan arrives. A new Daring Plan is forming in my mind.
-Bought all the food and what little weapons and armor the merchants have. Requested; wood, iron, pig iron, steel, iron ores, weapons, armor and sand.
-After everyone ate the shaft was re-stocked (with a bit more booze this time)
-I entrust Nil Zafalerush Militia Commander with my plans and to keep things in check as I will be isolated from the fortress for a few more months down in the shaft and will have to give my work my utmost attention if it is to be finished by years end.

1st Moonstone
Mining of Project; Deep Penetrator was begun again from the middle while others constructed and mined the necessary components at the top and bottom.
-Mostly an uneventful month if you don't count the child that fell down the shaft. He had been removing the stairs used to access Nomal Regginet's screw-up, removing them while standing on them of course.

25th Moonstone
Nil Zafalerush Militia Commander reports skeletal wildzombie is showing up in the caverns and his squad was called upon to eliminate a skeletal giant rat and several skeletal gremlins that were disturbing the workers. The sooner this work is done and the access sealed up the better. I don't like being this exposed with neither rock nor metal protecting us.

9th Opal
Nil Zafalerush Militia Commander let the merchants out according to plan when the Skoxen were in the west. The merchants headed that way and our hoard of idlers was sent to loot the fallen migrants with specific orders to get the three steel battle axes out there.

THEIVES!, LIES!, CHEATS!

These Skoxen are indeed devious. They seemed to disappear into the west and instantly re-appear in the north right in front of all the haulers sent to gather the goods from outside. The Devious Plan had to be abandoned and everyone called back inside immediately. But fortune smiled on us and one steel battle axe made it inside where it was dropped in an L-shaped hallway and we got away with only the merchants being injured

21st Opal
uh-oh

Mere seconds later - this thing is FAST!

ZE FACEVEIL DUZ NUSSING!

-After missing Leatherface repeatedly while the doomed dwarf pummeled it ineffectively, Eb grabs him by a finger and explodes him against the stairwell wall.
-The remaining militia has time to gather well ahead of the beast which means little due to it's speed but it's enough time for Unib Cilobibel to grab that steel battle axe that had been dropped nearby. A fortuitous chance indeed as it would turn out.
-The battle is entered

-Gem Lorbamgerig, the replacement for the luckless Woody loses her left lower leg right away.
-The battle is decisively won by Unib Cilobibel who quickly scores pages of uncontested axe hits from behind but not before boiling forgotten beast extract is coughed up over everyone
-Tekkud Kosothtashem gets his knee smashed and everyone is dizzy and unconscious but they wake up, the cleaners come in, Gem is helped away to rest in the mayors bed (the nicest) and Eb's corpse is installed in an alcove as a trophy.

27th Opal
Zasit Febog Ledgendary engraver breaches the magma sea but with all attention on setting up a hospital no one tells him to run from the magma and he dies. Adamantium is discovered and us miners get the credit - of course.
-the fortresses overall mood is significantly improved

3rd Obsidian
Tekkud Onoli decides he wants the gabbro rock on the other side of the door holding back the magma. He bleeds out in three steps from only 1/7 magma. He wasn't important anyways.

9th Obsidian
Some kid died I think. Ordered more coffins.
-The construction of Project; Deep Penetrator is done, just waiting on maga to flow into the cistern which it looks like could take a month or two. It needs to be maxed out to make sure we get enough but I do trust my calculations.

I'm tired from my labors and so I offer the honor of pulling the main lever to anyone who will step up and lead us for a while.

some notes;
-there is almost no stone left, all the stone from Project; Deep Penetrator, which left volumes of it, is all forbidden in the lower cavern as deemed too dangerous for just stone
-I don't thing there are much in the way of trade goods either
-only 100-ish drink left
-probably need more coffins, or you will soon at least
-the Decent Basements are on a kill order to try and save Kubuck Earthgifts from a blind cave ogre on level z-11 but I'm not sure if he's worth it
-there is a mooding weaponsmith, a forge is under construction and we have nothing but platinum and lead so hope blunt
-two adamantium veins are visible in the magma sea, but I still haven't seen iron

Basically my pet project took all of my attention in the winter to get it done and everything else had to just run itself, but if it works at least our fuel problems will be solved.

save; http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7QP3R81W

I wonder how mnay edits it will take to get this right
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 11:38:24 pm by Crashmaster »

DiscoPony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2010, 06:44:15 pm »

I'm poppin' out kids every chance I get.  They're gonna take over the fortress and reinstate me as Queen DiscoPony the Benevolent.  My benevolence will only extend to the babbies, though.  The rest of you sorry lot can kiss the crack of my bearded butt and freeze outside.

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2010, 05:08:31 am »

Excellent work Crash, great fleshed out story. Hopefully Neopolis will pick it up from here, or whoever else is still around.
"...Although, how you misplace an entire corpse is beyond me."

William Walker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2010, 08:02:54 am »

After missing Leatherface repeatedly while the doomed dwarf pummeled it ineffectively, Eb grabs him by a finger and explodes him against the stairwell wall.

Also Adamantine. This is good, thanks for the update bro.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2010, 03:14:07 pm »

Oh god I'm gonna screw this up big time.

I hope I'll be able to finish this run properly, as I'll be too busy to play wednesday through friday... I'll try and wrap it up before that.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2010, 01:51:31 pm »

All right, here's the spring and summer of Horseanus...

1st Granite
I, Neopolis Clutchcrystals, am proud to write this journal. For, you see, finally I have risen above the life of a Hauler / Mason-in-a-pinch, and my true talents have been recognized. For I am Neopolis, Dwarven Therapist, and as of today: fortress manager.

I do not know what motivated the king to send me and my wife to this fortress, and why good sir Crashmaster made me the next overseer. My wife insists he did it to shut me up, but I believe she's simply jealous that he saw my true talent...

Now, I have not been here for a long time, but one of the things I noticed upon doing my first round of the fortress was that there was a woman sleeping in the dining room.

I woke her up immediately and asked why she did not sleep in one of the many gorgeous bedrooms that were created by my predecessors. She answered that while they were lovely rooms with lovely beds in them, they were not technically "bedrooms", and she would not sleep in them.
I checked the dossiers, and she was right. None of the rooms were designated as bedrooms. My first official action would be to make all these lovely rooms available as lodging for the dwarves. A good start!

I was not given a lot of time to bask in the glory of doing something good for dwarfdom, as a scout reported that Kubuk Earthengift was killed by a pair of blind cave ogres. What she was doing 113 levels below ground, I will never know, but it pains me to see a good dwarf die in my first day of managership. As the beasts are hovering around the stairs, I have sent the Horseanus military to dispatch them... If these caverns weren't so full of resources, I would have them sealed off. Regardless, I will urge the dwarves to be cautious.

6th Granite
Tragedy strikes once more... The militia captain was asleep, and an overconfident wrestler tried to take on a blind cave ogre by himself. Needless to say, he was quickly beat to the ground. The ogre then attempted to kill the unconcious dwarf for FIVE DAYS. FIVE DAYS STRAIGHT. HE WOULDN'T DIE.
In an ironic twist of fate, the wrestler bled to death mere seconds after the militia commander arrived and crushed the ogre's skull. My prayers go out to the brave wrestler who may have saved the fortress from an ogre attack.

In other news, I have been busy working on improving the overall happiness of the dwarves, though I imagine the deaths aren't helping. My most recent accomplishment is expanding the dining room, which was also improperly designated, leaving part of it unused. My wife is glad that she can feed our daughter at an actual table now...

7th Granite
I have made myself a humble office, so that dwarves may come to me for my psychological advice. My first client was a woman named Tobul Furnacedent, who was ecstatic, constantly yelling "The Humor of Spires"! I did not find spires inherently humorous, so I asked her to elaborate, when she showed me this.

I asked the fortress appraiser how much this would be worth, and he estimated that it would be worth as much as 40.000 rocks. Of course, we won't be selling so precious an artifact... But maybe we can use it for a trap?

12th Granite
Today, when I was ordering the construction of extra stills, Crashmaster came into my office. He asked why "Deep Penetrator" had not been completed. I asked him what he was rambling about, when he took me down several levels below the ground to show me a most peculiar construction.

He didn't want to elaborate any further, all he did was tell me to pull the lever. I did. This resulted in the loudest crash I have ever heard. I am sure even the thrice-cursed Muskoxes were shaken. I feared for my life, but Crashmaster seemed pleased. What in Armok's name had he done?
"What in Armok's name have you done?" I asked him. Grinning proudly, Crashmaster said that he spent the entire winter digging out a huge column of stone, held up by a single pillar which I had just collapsed. The construction had dropped hundreds of levels and landed in the magma sea, moving the magma up into the basin.

I was amazed. It had actually worked, the cistern had filled up with magma. All I had to do was open the floodgates, and we would have infinite fuel.

....Of course, there were 3 levers, all of them unmarked. Using my talent for dwarven psychology, I theorized that a normal dwarf would link the upper lever to the upper floodgate. Bravely, I pulled it.

My logic was sound! The cistern is filling up as I write this... Soon, our metal production will increase tenfold. I'll have to give Crashmaster some sort of reward for this ambitious project.

18th Granite
A skeletal gremlin popped up in the caverns today. When the soldiers went to defend their homes, the foul creature vanished into a wall. Its corpse was never found. We're all quite puzzled.

8th Slate
Another strange incident... After an uneventful few weeks, Crashmaster came into my office bleeding from both his feet. He reported being attacked by a skeletal rat. All the miners ran, and when the vermin chased Crashmaster, he was backed into a corner. During the attack, however, the creature vanished much like the gremlin. Is Crashmaster protected by Armok himself? In any case, I've ordered a stone hatch cover to protect the mines from any more cavernous creatures. Crashmaster is bleeding heavily, but he insists he can keep working. I admire the man's dedication.

13th Slate
Migrants have arrived. For some reason, no migrants have arrived at all for at least a few years, I wonder why that is? I can not let these people stand outside in the cold where the muskoxes dwell, so I'll let down the bridge and pray that Armok will smile upon us once more.

All the migrants ended up safely inside. I felt content with eluding the muskoxes. Horseanus now has a grand total of 96 dwarves. Suddenly I got a disturbing message... A skeletal troll is wrecking the forges.

I immediately told the military to stop stationing at the front gate, and ordered the bridge to be raised. A hatch cover isn't going to hold this bad boy back.
Brave Doc Holiday charged against the beast alone, as he was now approaching the craftsman's floor. While his attacks seemed ineffective, the monster had trouble damaging Doc, too. I prayed for Doc's safety, and the tide of battle was turned by a stray dog. The dog latched onto the skeletal troll and gave Doc time to stand up and regain his composure. The troll was slain with no casualties.

27th Slate
Another strange happening. A gem cutter came into my office today, a migrant with no combat skills whatsoever. He claims that he went into the caverns and found himself cornered by a skeletal troglodyte. He fought back against the stronger foe, but he reports that, much like the gremlin, the troglodyte vanished. Is Armok smiling upon Horseanus? In any case, I have taken in the gem cutter for daily therapy sessions.

8th Felsite
I worry about the progress of Project Deep Pentrator. The magma basins have been partially filled, but not far enough to steadily supply the forges with fuel. Had Crashmaster made a fatal construction flaw? If he has, there is little to be done about it, now. However, I would soon find that I had other things to worry about...

...Uh oh.
The forgotten beast moves at incredible speed towards the upper cavern. An unfortunate metalcrafter holds the beast off for a while, its poison gas causing the fight to be rather one-sided.

Ome reaches the bridge that leads to the fortress... If it is not held back here, the chaos will be immense. Luckily, the brave militia captain Nil Zafalerush is guarding the bridge with her life. According to her resumé, she has also slain the last forgotten beast to besiege Horseanus... Hopefully she will be able to hold him off long enough for her comrades to arrive.
A dwarf who happens to be passing by to pick up a log joins in on the fight, but leaves off once the beast bites off one of his hands. Meanwhile, Nil seems to be single-handedly beating the monstrous pig!
Doc Holiday shows up and together they defeat Ome. I will have to remember to give these dwarves better weapons... Though they won with hardly a scratch on them, it took them several days to take down the beast! I wonder if the gas will cause them any trouble...

24th Felsite
I ordered the dwarf who lost his hand to build a siege workshop. According to my theory, doing work can distract you from intense pain. Also, I thought we needed a ballista in case a siege shows up.

I also came across this interesting mockery of physics.

31st Felsite
Spring is over. I have enlarged the drink supplies, built several more workshops, and watched over Horseanus as it faced the wrath of a creature of the underworld. I've still got three more seasons left... I can only wonder.

3rd Hematite
"GamerGrrl"'s daughter came up to me today. I hadn't seen her in weeks, and she was looking quite pale. The seven year old girl asked me to assign her to a workshop. Now, I don't normally let children work in workshops, but the determination in her voice frightened me. I did as she asked, though it's not like I would have been able to stop her.

18th Hematite
The mayor wants us to make coins. Even with all my insight into the dwarven psyche, I don't know why. We don't have a lot of metal, nor an economy, but I suppose I'll have to try and oblige.

21st Hematite
The little girl is still at it... She's assembled three complete animal skeletons in that workshop, she kept coming into my office yelling at me to slaughter the "pitiful insects"... The girl scares me. Luckily, I haven't seen her today, yet. Maybe she's satisfied?

25th Hematite
She's back. I don't even know how, I was just working on updating some stockpile records when she was standing behind me and whispered"Languishedtop" into my ear.

That's the most impractical thing I have ever seen in my entire life... I'm glad all this is over with, or I would have to perform therapy on myself.

31st Hematite
The month of Hematite is over. I've made a few more stills, increased the size of the furniture stockpile, and gave the guard captain that dinner room he kept bugging me about. Give a guy nobility, and it goes straight to his head...
8th Malachite
I think by now it's safe to say that Deep Penetrator has failed. The magma flow just isn't consistent enough to power the workshops. Considering there isn't much to lose anymore, I'm going to pull one of the other levers and see what happens.
It did not solve my problems. The left lever caused a floodgate all the way at the bottom to stop, interrupting the magma flow towards the cistern which now has a huge pillar of stone resting in it, and the right lever opened a floodgate I can not possibly fathom the purpose of.

I feel bad for Crashmaster. He put a lot of time and effort into this. Now we still don't have a proper fuel source... I'll have to get those coins made some other way.

17th Malachite

Well that's just fantastic. We ran out of barrels. Right as I was in the middle of constructing a non-magma powered smelting installation! We'll have to be very careful with expending wood... Foraging from the caverns is a dangerous thing to do. Luckily we have a lot of drinks, so the barrel problem won't be a huge issue - for now.

25th Malachite
The coins are done, and they've got quite an odd design. One side has our queen on it, which makes sense, but there's an elf on the back. I asked Kosoth Strappinganvil, the metalcrafter responsible for the coins, why he would put one of those tree-loving hippies on our coins. He claimed that it wasn't a depiction of an elf, but a depiction of a statue depicting an elf... Apparently a few years ago someone here decided it'd be nice to make an elf figurine. Typical.

At least the mayor is satisfied.

8th Galena
More migrants! These ten bring the population of Horseanus over a hundred. It's becoming harder to keep everyone busy, but at least things are still running smoothly... And I managed to take in all the migrants without anyone being torn apart by skeletal muskoxes. That counts for something, right?

Oh, whoops. Forgot that one. Sorry!

12th Galena
The ballista is finished! Should we ever wish to open the door with a siege waiting in front of it, then we will be sure to give them an unpleasant surprise. Now, however, the only thing swarming outside is a bunch of skeletal muskoxes. No way I'm opening the door for them.

17th Galena
A skeletal Rutherer managed to climb up our stairs and scare the weaver. I've put all web gathering jobs on halt and ordered the destruction of the undead... However, half of our squads aren't properly equipped yet due to a lack of quivers. Sigh...

The squads also encountered a gremlin on the way. Both of them vanished. Is this something undead are supposed to do?

Rest coming... eventually.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:05:43 pm by Neopolis »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2010, 08:06:48 pm »

12th Granite
Today ... pull the lever. I did.
...fatal flaw...failed...

ARMOK BE CURSED!  /tears beard  The cistern wouldn't have been full until mid Slate at the earliest!

Project; Deep Penetrator is done, just waiting on maga to flow into the cistern which it looks like could take a month or two. It needs to be maxed out to make sure we get enough but I do trust my calculations.

(2z-levelsx5tilesx5tiles)7uristsmagma=350uristsmagma transported to z-levels 90 and 91.
Falls onto catch bridges of area29 tiles and need to fill forge channels of area 38tiles. total 67tilesx4uristsmagma=minimum of 268uristmagma needed.

simulation run with full cistern late Slate

The east olivine floodgate was to allow the remaining 29 7/7 tiles of magma to be drained off from the catch bridges once the forges' channels' floodgate was closed and the lever dismantled for any other project that could use it.

I have attached a series of blueprints for a system to salvage the magma brought up by early activation of Project; Deep Penetrator and my good name as a dwarven engineer as well. I am assuming 3/7 - 4/7 deep magma in the forge channels due to the apparent flickering of the power indicators in the images supplied and have based my solution on this.

'Fail' Zone Z89

Displaced Magma Catchment/Funnel Z90

Blocks' Fall Path Z91

Drop Blocks Z92

Drop Block Supports Z93

Displaced Magma In Catchment/Funnel Z90

Final Solution Z89

All that is required after is to remove the walls, wait for the 1/7 magmas to dry up, floor over any un-needed holes and re-build the smelters. There should be enough room for plenty of workshops as Project; Deep Penetrator was over-engineered from the start.

Note that there is a passage on z-89 under the magma channels, therefore the drop blocks do not take advantage of the crisportunity to move all the magma but it seems like it will be enough.

Edit; I pulled the lever in 10 Granite to get a worse case scenario. If you have even less 4/7magmas then I do in my pictures It would be possible to add an additional 1x2 block to the plans above the center pillar mirroring the one below it. The downside of course is losing more 2 more workable magma channel tiles in the final result. Hopefully it will still work out for the fortress. My simulations resulted in more then enough magma being moved so there is some leeway.

I should have just made myself a glorious tomb. It seems like I'll be needing it.

Also; MY FEETS! I always use those, pancreas - meh.
Wheeee - fun.
Good story so far and good luck
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:28:12 pm by Crashmaster »

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2010, 03:25:49 am »

Oh. Whoops. This is why you mark your levers, Crashmaster!

I'll see if I can manage this plan somehow, all this wood burning seems like a waste of perfectly good bed material.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8