Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: /v/ next attempt!  (Read 11223 times)

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
/v/ next attempt!
« on: November 24, 2010, 01:22:14 am »

Straight from the bowels of the internet itself comes /v/'s next attempt at establishing a succession fortress.

Applications are mostly over the IRC channel. Or in here.

Fortress name: (By majority vote) Horseanus.

THE ORDER.

1. As_Always (Completed)
2. Lazareth (Skipped)
(Save buggery, ignored)

3. Kizbold (Started again)
4. DiscoPony
5. Vidyabro
6. Kipi (Skipped)
7. Chaosye (Skipped)
8. Crashmaster
9. Neopolis
10. Atomic Sneakers
11. Vater Yester
12. Eruonen
13. DarkDibblez
14. Eugenitor
15. Zaiketsu
16. TKPG
17. JVM
18. Lazareth
19. William Walker
20. Knarfle

The IRC channel for this game (And general /v/ dorf fort chat) Is #Brofortress on irc.Rizon.net
Rules:

>The version being used is .18

>1 year in game per turn, with 4 days from the start of the turn to post an update. Note: When it is your turn you have 1 1/2 days to make contact with us, or you will be skipped.

>Name one dwarf after yourself of any profession / status, cannot rename other already taken dwarves.

> Post a few pics along with update, and the more fleshed out the story is the better. Ensure to post updates on named dwarves if they have accomplished anything of note.

Pretty standard fare all up for anyone who's read or played a succession game before, no real restrictions on what you can and can't do in game.

To the forum at large, hopefully our stay won't be too obnoxious here. Feel free to drop a message!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 01:22:11 am by As Always »
"...Although, how you misplace an entire corpse is beyond me."

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: /v/ next attempt!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 01:23:32 am »

(Terribly sorry about the delay. I was all set to go, half way through the year, posted the thread and then "Real life" got in the way of finishing it up till now.)

Heat.

Aah, how I’ve always loved the heat. And this open-air volcano supplies it in surplus. Reminds me of my furnace, when I can’t get to it.

Seems I’ve been sent out on an expedition with seven others to form a new fortress. As the only one with any military background, I’ve been given the reins for one year to lay the groundwork. I’d much rather be sitting in my forge, but orders are orders, what ho?

First things first, a small hovel for us to rest in. I’ve already got my eyes set on that volcano – It’ll serve well as an entrance. My goal is to get that set up by the year’s out. We’re in for a bit of tough living in the mean time, but I’m sure the lads will toughen up. I’ll make sure of it we have good food and booze a-plenty, and a place to rest our heads. I gave the miners plans for how I wanted our temporary living quarters dug out, and helped the rest in arranging and organizing our goods we’ve brought. I’m happy to say it should last us.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, about that hovel. It’s a bit sloshy and it’s a bit cramped, but it’s full of beds and it’ll serve us until we can finish the bridge to the other side of the volcano. An excavation of stone has been started to supply the building materials, and under the guide of the stonecrafters everyone is pitching in. This lot is alright, the project will be finished far before I had expected it to be.

The farmer has been given reprieve from the construction as I have decided him focusing on food production it more important, for the time being.

Things were quiet, we were enjoying our little existence of toil and rest, when some migrants came knocking on our metaphorical door.

I can’t in good conscience turn the lot away. I know what it’s like to on a forced march like that, the least I can do is let em stay a while. And they’ll be able to lend a hand with reaching our entrance, then we can –really- get this fortress underway. Their presence brings us up to 11.

Seasons pass with little happening of note besides general life and the construction of the entrance. Alas! What I had hoped would have been an easy job took a turn for the worse as Logem Rigothimsal trod too close to the edge and lost his footing. May his soul rest peacefully with his body consumed by the blood of the mountains.

It’s taken months of toil, and one regrettable death but we’ve reached our entrance, men! Absolutely –capital- effort on all parts. No more living in the dirt for us! Find stone over our heads, and a room for each to call their own, oh, and the dining hall shall be spoken of in legends, and…!

Erm, perhaps I’m getting ahead of myself. I have little over half a year left before I’m (mercifully) put back to work in the forges, and I believe I’ll be able to get the supporting wall done up for the bridge as well as carve out a nice little home for us 10 in the volcano side.

The entrance bridge, my one main goal, has been finished, and the fortress itself has been started. A short walk downstairs is the main city area, which I’ve started excavating with expansion in mind. On this level will be the general working area and living space. In between this level and the surface will likely reside military and hospital zones, away from the high-traffic areas. However, now that my year is coming to and end and it is time to step back in line as a lowly metalsmith, I’ll leave the plans of mine with the next keeper of the fortress. No sense in going digging about all willy-nilly now, eh, wot wot?

Hmm. Reports are coming from the lads that there’s been sighting of a spectral dwarf wandering the halls. Perhaps ol’ Rigothimsal wasn’t as happy about being dropped into that magma vent as I’d thought he would be. That’s the fightin’ dorf spirit in action right there!
In other news, the caravan arrived today! Spose our noble-type will have to deal with that lot, because it sure ain’t my duty. I do reckon we’ll have to turn em away, seein as we don’t have a thing to trade.
…I really wish we did, though, because we’re, uh… sort of running out of booze. I spose I won’t be telling the guys that. Wouldn’t want a violent uprising now, wot wot?

I’ve noticed this place is quite iron and copper rich. Makes me smile thinking about all that ore, just waiting there.

Well, the cold season has come, and that marks the end of my time as fortress manager. Hopefully I’ve whipped this place in to some sort of respectable outpost!

I’m rather happy with my time as fortress keeper. No major hassles, everybody mostly fed and watered, and all my plans and goals were completed quicksmart. Perhaps if I ever decide to step away from the forges for good I’ll aim for a position in fortress management somewhere.

The next leader will need to focus on food. The indoor farm is getting muddied, rather slowly, and we’re in a touch of a dry spell for booze and food.

Oh, and during the construction of the bridge, the dwarves kept warning me that these open-air magma pipes “Belch lava high into the sky”. I’ve never seen it happen, and between this and the 'ghost' wandering around, I’m sure it’s just another old Easterner superstition.

(Rather quiet year, ending up a bit short on food. Hopefully good groundwork for our game.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2epq549q8lekax5 )

Next up, Lazareth.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:20:46 pm by As Always »
"...Although, how you misplace an entire corpse is beyond me."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 01:42:11 am »

Sign me up, please!
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Chaosye

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 02:07:30 am »

I'm pretty interested, as well.

My story-writing skill is getting rusty.

Done one succession before, ended up with an explosion and everyone dying.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 04:31:06 am »

Sign me up too! I guess I'll have to be a crappy migrant but as long as I can get into horseanus I'll be happy.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:44:37 am »

Ohh, calling dibs.

AtomicSneakers

• Bay Watcher
  • But really I'm not actually your friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:52:34 am »

:o

Well this is an oddity.

Sign me the hell up.

But..

Horseanus? Isn't that like... 12 year old humor...?

Vater Yester

• Escaped Lunatic
  • urlu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:06:37 am »

Why not? Sign me up. I might just appear in the IRC later today.

Neonite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 09:37:12 am »

This should be fun.  Sign me up.

Actually, on second thought, I'm not sure my computer would be able to handle a regular 12-year-old fortress.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:04:01 pm by Neonite »

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 09:54:26 am »

Since when has /v/ started to play videogames?

I guess you've never been to 4chan bud.

Brianide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 09:58:53 am »

> /v/
> 12 year old humor
> out of the ordinary

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:52 am »

Oh shit, count me in.

DarkDibblez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 12:06:31 pm »

Count me in. I'll be in the IRC as Dibs.

vidyabro

• Bay Watcher
  • GET$MONEY$$$$$$$$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 02:55:48 pm »

the term succession in this succession game will be used lightly.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 02:57:46 pm by vidyabro »
FRESH=MONEY

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 04:16:28 pm »

I'll sign up for position 12, assuming this fortress lasts so long.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8